Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Hi all

The Empty Child was quite good, if a little confusing - I couldn't quite get to grips with all that was going on in this episode. Very nice recreation of World War London though. Still can't beat The Unquiet Dead for scariness - nothing is scarier than zombies and the undead!

On the point of time travel... the Time Lords must travel forwards in time quite often, so why didn't they see the Dalek attack coming and prepare for it?

What, for that matter, is to prevent the Doctor from going back in time to Gallifrey before the death of the Time Lords and preventing the Dalek invasion, thus saving the day? Or is that too simple a plan?

How can Time itself be so flexible? Wouldn't the number of paradoxes caused by repeated interference by time travellers cause Time to implode upon itself?

Yours

Gandalf

Hi

Sorry, I missed that bit! I have been watching as much Doctor Who as I can but I have missed the odd episode and missed short bits of other episodes, hence my interest in getting the DVDs. :cool:

You make a good point about the Doctor not being able to change history. I guess it makes some kind of sense now. Still doesn't explain why we haven't being seeing other Time Lords though. :p

The Reapers might well intervene to prevent paradoxes. Whatever happens happens and cannot be changed. If so, how can Time be described as flexible? Surely then that couldn't be true? Either Time can be changed or it can't, you can't have it both ways.

Yours

Gandalf

Reapers appear because of paradoxes IMO. Something that is there (or isn't) that shouldn't (should) be=paradox. Remember the car was still going around? That shouldn't of been there but because Rose saved her dad it was. It's the final link in the time loop.

You know why we haven't seen the other time lords yet, but for our American friends I won't put any spoilers in so they can follow the argument logically.

The Doctor is of course still forced to abide by the laws that his people governed by so he couldn't (wouldn't) go back and change history. Some of the discussions in the forums you linked to in your 'Time Paradoxes' thread are quite interesting. Though I think that the Doctor would never meddle in the past without there being a creature in trouble (or a camera nearby )

Hi Legend Killa

Yes, I remember Genesis of the Daleks with Tom Baker and the classic argument about whether you would be willing and able to kill a child if you knew it would grow up to be a dictator (or something very similar).

I also seem to recall an argument somewhere about how the existence of the Daleks was actually a good thing because it brought together warring races (who would otherwise have killed each other) to fight against a common foe. (Could it have been the same story?)

Yours

Gandalf

I have seen every episode up to "the empty child", which I hope to watch tonite if I get the time. The new series has really exceeded my expectations. I think the deep emotional stories really work at capturing a broad range of people.

My wife thinks the old series is so corny, but because I make her watch it with me she tolerates it. But she really likes the new series and keeps asking me "do you have the new episode?" She also made the remark "I can't believe they don't show it here in the states!"

She really liked "dalek" and "father's day", which I would say rank as the two best of the new season.

It's really sad Chris will not be around for another go because he has done a great job but I have faith in David Tennant as being a great doctor too.

Spoiler below for next season!!!! Do not read if you do not want to know...................

It seems the cybermen will appear in at least two episodes for next seasons. Most likely a "two parter" I can't wait.

Hi all

I watched The Doctor Dances last night. It was a nice resolution to The Empty Child. There was a clever answer to the cliffhanger in Part 1. I particularly liked the clever use of those little machine things (I won't describe the episode in full yet!).

My viewing has been patchy but I'm catching up fast now!

Yours

Gandalf

gandalf2004:

On the point of time travel... the Time Lords must travel forwards in time quite often, so why didn't they see the Dalek attack coming and prepare for it?

Something about the fundamental design of the Tardis keeps all visits to Gallifrey in a linear order. The Gallifreyans have traveled far forward in time, but they have not explored their own future because it would be inadvisable. For anyone whose seen the stuffy timelords of the old series, it should make complete sense that they just weren't curious enough. It's against their beliefs. All of the Doctors visits to gallifrey were in order. The only two occasions when such time was not sequential, the timelords overrode the safegurard to allow the doctor to meet himself.

Watched "The Doctor Dances" over the weekend. I agree with you Gandalf, it was a good answer to the cliff hanger of The Empty Child. Made me laugh to begin with, but made more sense as the episode went on.

Captain Jack seems a good character as well - his flirting with Rose is making the Doctor quite jealous!

SPOILERS:

Especially liked the end sequence where Jack looks like he is about to blow up in his ship, and he just orders a drink! "Captain Jacks chances of death? 100%"

Then he just hears the music playing from the TARDIS where the Doc and Rose are dancing - class ending!! No sense of urgency that the bomb is about to go off!

Apparently he is in the final 3 episodes of the series - a single parter this Saturday and a double to finish with.

BIG SPOILER: Apparently the double parter features a number of bad guys that we thought had been wiped out in one of the earlier episodes of this series...

END OF SPOILERS

That's right mate, although it was just the Five Doctors as the Three Doctors story never reached Gallifrey.

So you had the case of the earlier doctors being on Gallifrey at a future (for them) time with the 5th Doctor.

SPOILER:

I also liked the nanogenes - I liked his words at the end "This time, everybody lives!!" Nice touch as nearly all the time everyone dies!! The Caves of Androzani (my favourite story by the way!) is a good example, every single person who we see on that Planet, dies except for Peri!

Hi Rogue 3!

Spoiler???

Yes, Tom Baker - Doctor No. 4 - was trapped in time (or whatever that triangle thing was) and Doctor No. 1 was confined to a chair after he was caught by the triangle.

Only Doctors 2,3 and 5 reached Gallifrey - Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee and Peter Davison.

Yours

Gandalf

Yeah agreed Shadow - the first Doctor was trapped in that time vortex (in that chair type thingy) in the story The Three Doctors. This was written in only because William Hartnell was very ill at the time, and had to limit his appearance to just being pre recorded. He died not long after.

Later William Hurndall played the 1st Doctor in The Five Doctors story - and he was very convincing I thought.

It'd be great if at some point they had a story with one of the other Doctors in. Paul McGann would be my choice having seen so little of him.

It was 4 of them - only the 4th Doctor didn't, and that was just because he didn't want to be in the story so close after leaving the series. All his scenes are taken from a story called Shada that was never completed due to a strike.

Can't remember what happened to him. Did he turn into one of those figurines (that they used to represent the Doctors), or am I thinking of something else?

I had to wait a damned week to watch The Doctor Dances!! Still it was worth the wait.

!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!

I thought parts of this episode were actually scarier than in The Empty Child, which was damn scary anyway.

The 'I can hear you toooooo' from the radio scared me to bits.

I thought sending him to his room was a good touch and it also got rid of the other people. Jamie stood behind them when the tape ran out was terribly good and him just saying 'I'm here' was good too.

Discuss :p

END SPOILEROONIES!!!

Episode 11 ( cry ) Boom Town

This was a character piece once more, exploring what is wrong with The Doctor and Rose. Also the 'old character' too.

SPOILERRRSSSSS!!!!

I thought having the TARDIS actually regress Margaret was a great move, it adds to the mystery of the machine and shows that it is alive.

Mickey splitting with Rose means we can expect an emotional farewell in the next episodes or so.

This wasn't a great episode but watching Doctor Who Confessional on BBC 3 afterwards was good too, it explained that they were showing how even a minor character can have an affect on the humanity or Galifre-anity of the characters.

END SPOILERS!! (WELL KIND OF)

Next weeks episode looks extremely intising. I WANT to watch this one now. Game shows that aren't actually gameshows. They are back and the line:

"Rose, you leave this life with nothing."

is a great prospect.

Hi all

I'd like to see the Tardis become a character in its own right - talking to other characters through telepathy and taking its own actions.

We could have the Tardis arguing with the crew, or taking them over, or being possessed by an alien force!

I hope that the Time manipulation doesn't become an easy way to get out of problems though. Once or twice is enough.

Yours

Gandalf

SPOILERS:

Boom town really mixed it up for me. A really good character piece, it was good to have the main guys chatting with the enemy for most of the episode.

First thought was that I was suspicious of Captain Jack - him being left alone in the Tardis to finish the work whilst the Doc was at lunch - I thought he might turn out to be a dodgy character. Glad he wasn't (at least so far anyway!), as he is good to have on board.

Even though he is from way into the future, does anyone think that he knows a little too much about fixing / hooking up the Tardis? Could he turnout to be a timelord? I'm stretching a little, but now we know who is back next week, it's not impossible that we could start seeing other Time Lords.

The preview for the penultimate episode was interesting - I'm not sure about the quiz shows, hopefully it will be ok... At least there will be a cracking cliffhanger (although that's kinda been blown now!).

Yeah, that's fair enough I suppose. It seems that no one has really understood the Tardis before though aside from Time Lords.

Still I reckon he's a good character. Saturdays episode had a fair few laughs in it - I really liked the bit where she was trying to kill him with the dart and the gas!!

I think that the humour will take a darker turn in this next episode. It seems forshadowing, the evictions and the new 'Walk of Shame', I don't think we'll see too many laughs near the end of the episode.

Another thing I like was the 'Bad Wolf' thing. I can't remember it cropping up in any other episodes off the top of my head but the next episode is named 'Bad Wolf' (the first part) so I expect we'll find out

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.