Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Pretty good episode... I have to admit it felt a bit "routine", though.

SPOILERS

The good:

Seeing the little green blob of hate at its weakest...

Seeing a Dalek almost humanized, while the Doctor becomes almost Dalekized at a few points (the frothing at the mouth was a lovely Davrosesque touch!)...

The bad:

There was a lot of great material to work with in this episode, and I felt as if it didn't go far enough with a lot of its threads. So far, the :45 runtime has been close to perfect, but this time, it felt as if the writers had to crunch too much stuff into too short a time-frame. While I love Daleks as much as the next guy, I actually would have liked to see a bit less Dalek, and more exposition...

The ugly:

While Americans flubbing English accents is something I'm quite used to, as an American, it was nice seeing how difficult it was for some of the cast in this show to keep their American accents in place. While I suppose it's technically a "bad" thing, I actually liked it, and even laughed out loud once early in the episode.

Episode 7-The Long Game

Overview-The Doctor, Rose and Adam all take a trip to the year 200,000. Here the find the 4th Bountious Human Empire in full swing.

Synopsis-A good worked episode with some good characters. Simon Pegg(Spaced, Shaun of the Dead) is great as his character, not much found out about the other regulars though.

****SPOILERS*****

As soon as it started I could see, and was thankful, that Adam wouldn't be with us for much longer. Not a well thought out character and gets on my nerves.

The minor characters got a boost in this episode, making the promoted person be undercover etc was a good idea. We also get to see how irresponsile Adam is which is always a delight no matter who it is.

I thought The Editor was great, played as a Super-Genius hough he wasn't it was actually the Lomabry-Maxi-Thing that was.

Again it was reinforced that he is the last of the Time Lords. Building up to something perhaps??

******END SPOILERS******

I agree, I thought the Editor was a great character, and Pegg brought a lot of good humour to the role. I was hoping that it might be leave things open for a return by his character - and maybe there is scope for that.

The guys in charge mentioned in the documentary after the programme that more would be revealed on the Max creature and how it got there.

On the last of the time lords thing, I don't see how that prevents us seeing another time lord in an episode - the series is about time travel after all.

Hmm.

Next weeks episode looks good again (some good ideas being used in these episodes).

Rose wants to go back to the day her dad dies, she see's him get run over, and naturally is upset and wishes he wasn't alone.

The next clip shows Rose and the Doc hiding behind the original version of themselves watching the accident (like in Back to the Future part 2) and Rose can't control herself and runs out to save him.

This causes a bit of a problem in the timeline, and for some reason it means some creatures are released who start attacking people. Should be good I think.

This episode was kinda like a warning to all kids.

"DON'T MESS ABOUT IN TIME!!"

Thats all I'll say no spoiler-fied.

******SPOILERAOONIES!****

I thought the Reapers were quite scary, how they just sytematically opened up and then swooped down. The fact that they preyed on the fabric of space/time being ripped was also quite ingenious.

The Doctor being 'killed' was IMO a good idea. It showed the weakness of Roses character without him, and how vunerable we all are without him.

Roses dad being the one to end it all was good too, but I don't get where the Doctor came from. Was a bit mysterious.

Adding in a small Mickey was hilarious, I broke up laughing when I realised who it was.

****END SPOILERIFICATION****

I tell you, the writing on this series has been really good.

Spoilers******

I agree with you big time about the Doctor's death - what a fantastic idea!

The reapers were good as well. The suspense of people just disappearing without seeing them was good and classic Dr Who.

Another nice touch was the Tardis being out of action.

As with all stories of this nature (where you mess around with time) there are paradoxes (suchas Rose knowing that her father died in a different location would mean that she wouldn't have gone to the site of the original hit and run incident, which means she wouldn't have been there to save her dad... gotta stop now because my brain hurts!!), but never mind about that stuff, it was a quality episode.

On a side note for anyone who's interested, ITV are so desperate to win ratings back from the Dr Who, that they have pulled the programme they were running (Celebrity Wrestling!!) and replaced it with the Star Wars films - starting this saturday (21st May) with TPM!!

Dr Who is kicking some at the mo!!

Ah, but if she hadn't needed to go back to see her dad when he died because there were people around him like you say, then how would he have been saved in the first location? Rose wouldn't have had a reason to go to that road where he was originally hit.

Whatever though, it was a very enjoyable episode!

Well, I've been watching the series since it's debut on CBC in Canada and am quite pleased. The series is progressing quite nicely, with good stories, and a solid cast. It's too bad they're replacing Doctor Who already though, as he was doing a great job.

Reading interviews with the producer, it was always planned that he would leave after 1 series, and that he would regenerate in the final episode. It was intended as a big surprise, but the papers got hold of the story and so the BBC had to release a statement. Shame as that would have been a fantastic surprise!

SPOILERS:

The Empty Child - Good episode - I can see that one being scary for the youngsters who watched it.

Rumor has it that an old adversary will return in the final episodes... I can tell you more if you want to know...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.