Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Tennat is good on Cassnova and am sure he will be good as the Doctor. What he will bring to the Doctor will be interesting, can it beat what Chris has done??

Todays episode was interesting, aliens invasion. Its in two parts and seems to be going places. thumbs_u

**Mini spoiler but not really**

Episode 6 is a DALEK EPISODE!!!! TEH DALEKS ARE BACK!!!! THEY'RE BACK BABY!!!! Only a few more weeks to wait.

The alien invasion episode was not bad. There were alot of elements I liked suchas...

Spoilers!!!!

The scenes with Rose and her family were good - the doctor had made a mistake and instead of bring them back home 12 hours after she'd left, it was 12 months! Naturally the mum has been worried sick, got the police involved and suspicion has been on the boyfriend for all this time.

Also liked the fact that UNIT are mentioned, and the effects were great.

I didn't like all the fart gags though.

END of Spoilers....

As for the new doc, let's hope he works out!

Watched some more of that Casanova programme last night, which features David Tennant. The more I see of him, the more I think he will work out well. He is young, but definitely had all the quirks of the Doctor in that programme.

For those overseas, Casanova is also written by Russell T Davies, who is responsible for most of the new Dr Who episodes.

The BBC made it official the other day, David Tennant will be the 10th Doctor.

Official announcement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/drwho/2005/.../18/18639.shtml

quote:

David Tennant will play the tenth Doctor Who.

David Tennant will play the next Doctor, it was announced today by Jane Tranter, BBC Controller of Drama Commissioning.

Tennant, whose recent credits include BBC Three's Casanova, Blackpool and He Knew He Was Right, will star alongside Billie Piper who returns as Rose Tyler for the upcoming Christmas Special and second series.

"I am delighted, excited and honoured to be the tenth Doctor!" said David. "I grew up loving Doctor Who and it has been a lifelong dream to get my very own TARDIS.

"Russell T Davies is one of the best writers television has ever had, and I'm chuffed to bits to get the opportunity to work with him again. I'm also really looking forward to working with Billie Piper who is so great as Rose.

"Taking over from Chris is a daunting prospect; he has done a fantastic job of reinventing the Doctor for a new generation and is a very tough act to follow."

"Christopher Eccleston's wonderful Doctor has reinvented the role, so that it now appeals to the best actors in the land," noted Executive producer/writer Russell T Davies. "I'm already writing David's first new adventure on board the TARDIS!

"Regeneration is a huge part of the programme's mythology, and I'm delighted that new, young viewers can now have the complete Doctor Who experience, as they witness their hero change his face!"

"Christopher Eccleston has given an exceptional performance as the ninth Doctor," added Executive Producer Julie Gardner. "David Tennant is a great actor who will build on the excellent work already done by Christopher in establishing Doctor Who for a new generation."

Things you might not know about David:

* His favourite band is The Proclaimers

* He was born in Paisley, Scotland on April 18th 1971, so this is a bit of an early birthday present for him!

* He once played a cross-dressing barmaid in an episode of the comedy series Rab C. Nesbitt

And here's a little background on Eccleston's leaving that you might not have known already

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/t...dio/4410943.stm

quote:

BBC admits Dr Who actor blunder

The BBC admits it broke an agreement with Eccleston

The BBC failed to speak to actor Christopher Eccleston before revealing he was going to quit Dr Who after the first series, it has admitted.

It was originally claimed the actor feared being typecast if he stayed on.

In a statement, the BBC quoted Eccleston as saying "he hoped viewers continued to enjoy the series".

But the BBC has admitted it did not consult him about that statement and also broke its agreement not to reveal he planned to film just one series.

Head of drama and commissioning Jane Tranter said: "The BBC regrets not speaking to Christopher before it responded to the press questions on Wednesday 30 March.

"The BBC further regrets that it falsely attributed a statement to Christopher and apologises to him."

A BBC spokesman said a mutual agreement was made between the corporation and Eccleston in January that the fact he was not making a second series would not be made public.

But after journalists questioned the press office, the news was confirmed.

A further series of the show has now been commissioned.

The BBC confirmed it was in talks with actor David Tennant, the star of BBC3 drama Casanova, as a possible replacement for Eccleston.

I do wish Eccleston would've stayed on as the 9th Doctor after this season/series began airing. The show is Doctor Who after all and I believe the BBC and Eccleston both ought to have approached it knowing that if show was successful [as it has been] Eccleston would've been in the role for at least a couple more series/seasons.

But that's all in the past, and Tennant is the next in line. He seems a likeable chap, if a mite young-looking for the role, I hope he sticks around for a good while.

I just caught the first three episodes...

And while "Rose" has been the least of them (though still enjoyable), I'm surprised at how likable Rose has been. I was expecting her to be a blonde version of Peri, but she has displayed a lot more than screams, whines, and cleavage so far. I'm really looking forward to seeing how her character develops.

As far as Eccleston's one-and-done season as the Doctor, it doesn't bother me too much. He's been very good, but not great so far. He mugs for the camera too much, too. Tom Baker could get away with that, because he was so homely, and it created some nice visual irony, but Eccleston's too pretty.

Tennant seems keen on getting the scarf... i wonder if they'll let him use it?

I too have just finished watching the first 3 episodes and I have to say that I enjoyed "the unquiet dead" very much! I have always enjoyed the historical stories better than aliens in the future somewhere. I would like comment about something the doctor said in episode 2:

Don't read if you have not seen the first 3 episodes: Spoilers included!!!

The doctor said he was the last of his people, the last time lord, but this is not true. Romana is stuck in E-space, and his granddaughter Susan got married and never returned to Galifrey. You can bet your bottom dollar if ratings ever get bad the master will show up also.

I think it would be cool to have susan come back as a very old woman and call the 10th Doctor grandfather!!

I have always thought it would be really awesome to find a way for the doctor to meet back up with Jamie as he would be like 60 years old now and have his memories of the doctor return before he dies in scotland.

The Master is dead. Roger Delgardo died in a car crash. Making anyone else play him would be sacrilidge.

I don't think they'll be too many returnees, aprt from maybe the Brigadier as they said in Doctor Who Confidential (ON BBC 3 after Doctor Who) he has been with every doctor since his intro.

***Spoiler***

There has been a Time War though trips, and we won't find out anything about that until later in the series probably.

Eps 4 & 5 are good, with the first cliffhanger coming in Ep 4.

The Doctor is being based on Earth for now to appeal to all viewers.

Also in Episodes 4 and 5 there are a lot of in jibes at the government. Just look out for them..

The "brig" never made an appearance with the 6th and 8th Doctors.

You bring up a good point about the war being a "time war". Although I am not buying it, I believe down the road there will be some time lords still alive.

UK Legend Killer: How is the general feeling in the UK since Who came back on the air?

Going to see the 5th episode later tonight, and am on the cliffhanger from episode 4...

Now that I'm used to Eccleston, I have mixed feelings about him leaving. He seemed to have gotten over himself somewhat by the middle of "The Unquiet Dead", and felt fully in-character (to me, at least) by "The Aliens of London".

Still, it's the stories that are keeping me coming back, so as long as the writing continues to keep up with the mix of camp, humor, and profundity, I'm sure next season will be just fine, even with the change of face.

While there are a lot of things about this incarnation of the series that feel like "classic" Doctor Who, one thing that I actually like much better is the set designs and costumes. Things are still quirky and somewhat lo-fi, but where the story and dialogue is what I typically would remember from the older shows, I'm taking a lot of great visuals with me here, as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/04g...ry/1024/008.jpg

Wow. Just... wow.

Also, just out of curiosity, have there been any comments by the PC-police maligning Rose for telling the doctor he's "Soooo gay" after he complained about his face hurting from getting slapped? I read an online rant by somebody who was pretty infuriated, and it seemed to be an odd thing to be soooo angry about -- was that guy an oddball, or have other people complained about it, too?

I'm asking this because I've read a lot of critiques in the past from people who complain bitterly that the Doctor's companions are typically white, and that the female ones usually just scream a lot. Is this a common thing for people to be so up in arms about over there?

The preview for the 6th episode was good - you've got this collector of aliens, and he has the last Dalek known to exist. It's another 2 parter I believe.

I agree with UK Legend Killa, the new series is going down really well over here. And when he pointed out that there was 15 million viewers for the first episode, to put it into context, there are only about 50-60 million people in the UK, so that is a very high figure.

Yeah, it's the Australian Broadcasting Corporation - I probably should've clarified that...

Sadly, were still stuck here in the US. There's no end to the waiting in sight yet, perhaps things will change after the Christmas special airs and/or the second season/series of the new series begins filming.

I'd like to see the show air in the US this year but I don't think it'll happen - there doesn't even seem to be any new rumors of US networks looking at the show either.

UK Legend Killa:

Nobody has complained to my knowledge.

Rogue, the creepiest and scariest bit of that trailer:

"I'm here to help you....My name is The Doctor....."

"DOC-TOR??!"

Who:   eek.gif  

"THE DOC-TOR!!! EXTERMINATE THE DOC-TOR!!!!"

*shudder* That still freaks me out...

Man I am with you there!! What a great trailer! The extra programme on BBC3 mentioned something about them being responsibile for the destruction of Gallifrey if I remember rightly.

Should be good to see the 9th Doctor up against THE Dr Who Baddie!!

Yeah. Davros seemed to die in almost all the stories he was in, but would always come back some how! Fair enough, there was less and less of him, but still, it's a shame he's now proper dead.

I would like to see the Cybermen come back - does anyone else think it would be good to see them in the xmas special and cause the Doctors regeneration? I think Christopher Ecclestone is going to have a good regeneration - he is a top actor and can do a good death scene! The one in Cracker was excellent.

Episode 6 - Dalek

Good episode. Maybe not the best that has been written this series but I thought bringing the 'Dalek' back added to the old school Doc Who feel of things.

****SPOILERS****

The dark suide in the doctor being brought out by the Dalek was great, it really establishes Eccleston as a doctor who can laugh and joke but is deadly serious.

Finding out more deatails about the Time War is good too. Time Lords vs Daleks-Everything is gone. Only the Doctor and the one Dalek are left and the link between them is evident. The Doctor going back to his roots from the Hartnell era where he was a sinister character.

Dalek can take DNA and regenerate?? Wow!!

And the nod at 'Carrie' was great, filling the floor with water and electrocuting everyone is soooo what a Dalek would do.

***********END**********

Enjoyed that episode I must say.

******Spoilers******

Never thought I'd feel sorry for a Dalek!! It was very well written - it could easily have not worked.

Yeah, apparently this Dalek could regenerate itself from the touch of a time traveller. A comment was made earlier in the episode that a regular person had touched it and been fried.

The Doctor was well evil in this episode. Not sure how that will be picked up on by a younger audience, but I thought it was fine. He does know all about these guys after all.

Thought the ending was good - not going to say anything as it is spoiler-ific. Next weeks should be another good 'un from the trailer.

******Spoilers End******

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.