Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

It was confirmed today that a second season will be underway next year!

I don't want to start a Christopher Eccleston bashing thread, but why in the world would someone sign to do a series for just one season?

It was confirmed that he does not want to come back next season because he is afraid of being type cast. I can understand not wanting to be type cast, but just one season? I think this is a little ridiculous.

Also I heard that he will not perform a regeneration scene for next season. This is like one of the most important parts of "Who" for all the fans and we are going to be denied this special treatment again? Give us what we want, afterall it is the fans that have supported Doctor Who after all these years.

I know it's early and we should all be happy that we have the show back but this leaves me feeling a little cheated.

Hint to the next actor cast as the Doctor, don't do it unless you plan to stay!

I've just read this in my paper this morning - can't believe that he is only doing 1 series. This is very disappointing as he made a very good start to the show on saturday.

All of the interviews that he had in the days leading up to the launch on saturday indicated that he was enjoying it and never hinted at the fact that he would leave the role so soon.

I know he has said that he is wary of typecasting, but for gods sake give the series a chance! It's just come back after 16 years off the screen and we are now going to be up to the 10th Doctor. I'm quite annoyed actually.

Maybe they'll get Paul McGann back?? Or hopefully someone around the same age as Chris, oldies are boring...

I can't blame Chris for not wanting to be typecast though. With one season he can be said to of been The Doctor and not be cast as that type of person again and again. Look at the other Doctors, what have they gone on to do afterwards??

Transducer X:

If they keep all this (TV movie, new series) in continuity, then they are gonna run out of regenerations soon! I was actually in favor of a reboot for the series when I heard it was coming back. That went over like a lead balloon at Outpost Gallifrey.

I thought the Doctor was awarded more regenerations and/or somekind of restart to his regenerations for his services to the Time Lords in the "Five Doctors" TV Movie Episode from the Davison Years.

That's what the offered the Master - the Doctor was given the office of the Presidency.

I don't see the 12/13 regeneration limit as too much of a trouble. The Valeyard was came about sometime between the Doctor's "12/13 and final" regeneration.

Oh yeah. Well thanks for the info, Shadow.

Also I found the first episode using Limewire. The file was listed as "New Doctor Who No.9 - Rose1". It's pretty okay. The whole feel of the episode had a huge "hello how do you do" first episode feel of course, but it also had its' tongue firmly in its' cheek when appropriate. I liked the Doctor and I haven't liked any Doctors since Davison (but granted I haven't really kept up with Doctor Who too well at all between then and now). I'm really looking forward to Episode 2 "End of the World". I'll be downloading these whenever I can find them.

UK Legend Killa:

pfft donwload, just try to recieve BBC 1 on Saturdays at 7pm.

Well I'd love to recieve BBC1 but I'm not aware of how to do that. I'm in Anchorage, Alaska. So as far as I know if I want to see it I must download it. If anyone knows another way, please, shout it out... the download size for the episode is 350 MBs so I'd love to NOT have to download it.

OMG OMG OMG!!!! The End of the World is a great episode. You have to watch it. It reveals some good things about Rose and the Doc when they like go 5 billion years into the future. And.....

*****MAJOR MASSIVE SPOILER OF DOOM!!!!********

SCROLL DOWN REAAAALLLY FAST IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!

Galifree is no more. The Doctor is the only Time Lord left. The Time Lords were killed in a war they had against somebody. No-one knows who though. Only The Doc.

***END SPOILER***

Good ep and the next one is a mystery evil paranormal one. Still waiting for the Daleks though

Spoilers!!

Episode 2 was excellent! Great storyline, top characterisation, and superb effects!!

I liked the way that Rose suddenly has a panic attack that she had just joined this guy that she knew nothing about and was totally overwhelmed by being so far in the future and amongst all these aliens.

The episode had a real feel of urgency about it with the countdown to "Earth Death" occuring throughout the episode.

Plus as mentioned above, there are some revelations from the Doctor concerning his home. Good stuff.

I'm currently watching episode 1 as we speak.

I just read that CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) has picked up the new Doctor Who series, so we Canadians get to see them now, I guess about a week behind you guys in the UK.

That's definitely good news for me, I was really excited about the new Doctor Who, but when I thought I'd have to wait until it got to the States before I could see it I was pissed :p

Anyhow, pretty good so far, only about 15 minutes in so far, but still looks promosing.

It looks like us fans are going to get what we want. Rumor has it that David Tennant has been cast as the new Doctor and there appears to be somekind of a regeneration scene in the last episode of season one! This has got me excited.

Also there is going to be a Who Christmas special and a second series.

I haven't heard of him that much either. He is currently in that BBC programme Casenova, and I heard that he is in the next Harry Potter movie apparently.

Personally I think he is too young for the role (early 30's), but we'll see.

I've only watched little bits of it - looks a good actor definitely.

Rumour has it that the regeneration will take place in the xmas special - I'm pretty sure they had wrapped up the filming of the first series before Christopher Ecclestone announced he was departing.

One other downer is that we will miss out on the potential we spoke about of seeing a "flash back" style episode which would feature McGann's regeneration to Ecclestone. Unless Ecclestone can be persuaded to come back for a cameo??

The other option might be a double regeneration episode as the xmas special - merry christmas everyone!!

Episode III-The Unquiet Dead.

Good episode, I like the mysterious ghostly element to it, suits Eccleston.

Not too many spoilers except one that kind of continues from last week here it is.

****AVERT THINE EYES! A SPOILER IS ABOUT!!!****

The Gelph say that they were killed during the 'Time War' now is this the same war in which the Time Lords were killed, or were the Gelph just using powers to read the Doctor's mind and trick him into helping them???

****No More Spoilers!!****

I look forward to episode IV where aliens invade modern day Earth and Rose meets up with her b/f again. Should be a good un

David Tennant has been officially cast as the 10th Doctor! His first episode will be the Christmas Special due out this year. He has been a long time fan of Doctor Who and should be at the TARDIS helm for a while.

Im glad that we have a young Doctor again. I have always thought the Doctor should be young everytime he regenerates since it is suppose to be a "new" body.

I know some people are upset that Chris has left the show after just one season, but look at the bright side, two years ago we would not have been talking about Who on TV period.

Good luck David, we are watching!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.