Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

I saw that trailer as well - it was really good! The tardis is quite different inside - the doors being changed to the police box shape for one.

tripsbacks:

I just finished watching the first episode "Rose" and I really loved it.  The new Doctor is great and his companion Rose really grows on you very quickly also.

I was disappointed in the opening the title sequence though.  Instead of having the Doctor's face morph out of nowhere, it simply has the words "Christopher Eccleston" and "Billie Piper" run across the screen.  I'm sure this will make some fans unhappy.

I take it there was no regeneration scene? That's a shame as those episodes from the old series were amongst my favourites. Best story was without a doubt the Caves of Androzani - what a great final episode!

I’ve been a lifelong fan of Dr. Who and love all the versions (except the horrible Fox/BBC movie, hopefully they’ll just say “pretend that did not happen”). I love the trailer, seems like BBC will actually spend money on the special effects this time around.

Anyway, is there any news on a broadcast schedule in the States, maybe Sci-Fi channel or the traditional PBS stations?

P.S.

Billie Piper is SMOKIN!

No regeneration sequence for Eccleston - I guess RTD and the BBC want a bit of a 'fresh start' for the new viewers. Perhaps the details will be mentioned in one of the later episodes of this series/season. But without a proper regen-sequence, if I recall correctly, McGann confirmed that he was never called in to do one.

The UK [March 26th] and Canada [April 5th] have day and time set for broadcast already.

New Zealand's Prime TV has picked up the new series but as far as I can find out there's yet to be an announcement about when it airs.

Australia and the US are up in the air still.

Australia - the BBC has confirmed it will be shown there but no one has fessed up to having picked it up yet. Though presumably ABC will be the one's showing it.

USA - No word on who or when yet. There's been rumors that certain channels are looking at the show - and even one that claiming Sci-Fi has passed on the new series for some reason. Neither the BBC nor the various US networks giving anyone a yea or nay on the matter.

On April 5th US residents in US-Canadian border regions will be able to watch with Canada provided their chosen TV content provider has CBC available.

It's a certainty PBS stations won't get the new series [not for a long while at least] - they're all largely independant still and Doctor Who [even the classic series] is an expensive program for them. There's still hope that Sci-Fi, USA, or another network will pick the new series up and show it fairly soon - it's possible that the US networks want to see how well it does in the UK and Canada.

The 1996 TV Movie is considered canon [well, as close to a canon as the series ever gets] by the BBC. I imagine that the writers for the new series will leave out the various inconsistancies [EG half-human, etc] of the TVM if it's events are ever brought up - or perhaps, ret-con them somehow if a detail poses a significant problem.

I remember reading somewhere that Paul McGann had said that he would be happy to return to film a regeneration scene.

It would be cool if maybe next season they did a flashback story with McGann showing the regeneration into the new Doctor. Maybe something along the lines of "The Godfather 2", with two parallel stories that connect with each other.

tripsbacks:

I remember reading somewhere that Paul McGann had said that he would be happy to return to film a regeneration scene.

It would be cool if maybe next season they did a flashback story with McGann showing the regeneration into the new Doctor.  Maybe something along the lines of "The Godfather 2", with two parallel stories that connect with each other.

Good shout - that would be good to have the regeneration in another story. Might be kinda similar to Logopolis where the Watcher (who is basically the next Doctor) helps the 4th save the universe one final time, before becoming the 5th Doc.

I do hope that Paul McGann is invited back. I thought his Doctor was good in the film, I just didn't like any other bits from the film.

Any word on whether the Master might make an appearance?

This deserves a double post. Just watched the new episode it is great. Eccleston brings back the old style mysterious doctor with shadowy personality. Billie actually acts okay too!

*Minor spoiler*

Bringing back the Autons to introduce the series was a great move. The best made up villians, after Daleks, Cybermen and The Master.

Wow! Really enjoyed the first episode. Was looking forward to it, although had a mixture of dread that it might be a little cheesey. Fortunately it was a very good start to the new series.

In fact all the press over here have been very positive - I haven't read a bad review yet.

Now that I have seen it, I think that the fact there is no regeneration is ok. There is a big audience that will not have seen the Doctor before, and to load in a regeneration straight away would have been way too much to deal with.

Good amount of humour - I also like the line about being from the north!! Also when Rose was trying to point out the millenium wheel, and it took the Doc 3 goes before he noticed it!! Good stuff.

The next episode looks interesting as well - set in the year 5 million or so, when the Earth is about to be wiped out by the sun. Apparently it is a who done it style episode with a murderer on the loose. Can't wait!

The BBC have done well, they really gave it a hell of a lot of press and build up before hand, and have lumped a lot of cash into making this series.

This considering that throughout the 90's they were incredibly anti-Dr Who.

All is well in the world. Who is back, and the final Star Wars film is out all in the space of a couple of months!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.