Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

I was pulling for Waller-Bridge and I only know Whittaker from Attack the Block, but I'm super excited either way.

No idea if her look in the promo is her Doctor look or not. I suspect not, they often save that for later. It kinda looks like a very Capaldi Doctorish set of clothes.

Guest Robin

I love the possiblilty of continuing the Doctor's regen "choice" as part psychological, btw. Here we've witnesssed the Doctor watch the Master flip to the Mistress. We've seen the Doctor view that friendship as almost getting back to how it was (presumably) prior to the split between Good/Evil. We've seen the Doctor ponder about perspectives and hang ups and even how gender may have tempered the Master's rage. Then boom... the Doctor regens into a woman.

5 years ago I would have been against the idea, but the way Missy was handled has helped to change my mind, so I'm looking forward to a fresh new series next year - after what looks like a good final episode for Capaldi of course! Very excited for that one.

I was surprised to hear this morning she had tumbled in the odds to be one of the favourites - not heard her name linked to the role until this weekend. She was superb in Broadchurch and from the quotes I have read, it sounds like she smashes the audition for it.

Outfit looks good and current Doctor style!

Why would you have been against it before? Just curious.

I also hope the control room doesn't change, it's by far my favorite-- but it's been with two Doctors now (despite some minor redecorations), so it's probably due. I just hope it stays looking like a proper spaceship. I never liked the semi-organic, toys on the console, vibe the last two version had.

It never crossed my mind when I grew up watching the 4th Doctor onwards that he would change to a female character - the last few seasons have moved more in that direction with the Master / Missy and direct conversation on that point.

Agree with your comments Robin - like the journey the character in on in this new regeneration cycle.

Jodie has said on one article on the BBC website that the cloak outfit was for the promo and she has no idea on her final outfit.

Agreed on the console room - love it!!

Guest Robin

As for Whittaker's teaser costume, I think she is just wearing Capaldi's gear. If I were in the production I'd pull ideas from the non-performing public styles of both David Bowie and Diane Keaton... which means no cosplay of Annie Hall and definitely no Ziggy Stardust. There is a lot to play with in David's and Diane's styles however. Probably steer away from a tie completely just because of how quickly that becomes Annie Hall.

Years ago I suggested two tone bowling shoes as a way to bring in that super quirky Doctor style, I think with Capaldi (who ended up in Doc Martens, I think). Anyway instead of numbers you could put the ? on the shoes. I still think that's fun and could blend in with styles inspired by David and Diane.

All the classic Docs stuck to a single outfit, as did 9. 10 alternates between two suits. Eleven changed every season. Twelve has several pieces that get mixed and matched. As long as they don't go all twee and dress her like Clara or Amy I'd be happy. But I think going androgynous would be a mistake.

I also think overly sexuality would be a mistake as that would come off as an easy "female" characterization.

I'd go for something femine that's cut for action, but at the same time has a bit of Doctor weirdness.

Like this:

So soon!!

My hope and desire is for Phoebe Waller-Bridge but it'll likely be some British dude from some BBC show I've never seen, cause that is what has always been before.

Aw man, I should have posted last night! I had just been waiting for some connection to Who with Broadchurch and Chibnall and your post and that name, I mistakingly imagined Whitaker.

I did get the biggest grin at her reveal though. It feels right.

As for the console room, I wouldn't mind it being a little brighter. Not the early stark white, but if the room also reflects the Doctor's current form, I would like it to be a little brighter.

Guest Robin

Like this:

Yes please to the neutral tone checkered pants of the second, white blouse and the bright solid color vest of the third. I'd still shy from a tie, also suggest no hat and plus a lighter jacket or none.

As for the control room, I know they have been adding more stuff in there over the last seasons but I can't recall if there is a chair. There needs to a comfy chair, maybe on the second level if that stays. I think there is potential for a good quiet moment for a Doctor to just sit down minute.

I concur with the brightening the control room - it would be hard to read with all those dim lights around. Basically, I just want most of the decor to stay. I do believe there is a comfy chair in Twelve's version right now.

Whatever Thirteen's costume is, I just hope Whittaker has lots of input into it. They tried to make Matt Smith's Doctor weird and edgy (see here for some strange ideas for Eleven's appearance). The actor should, IMO, always imagine how the Doctor would dress himself or herself, rather than how a costumer would dress the Doctor.

All the classic Docs stuck to a single outfit, as did 9.

Nine did change his jumper, though!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Im calling it!

Peter Capaldi's Doctor somehow does not regenerate and the Doctor truly dies due to something in the plot. But because Doc 1 is there during the adventure, the randomness of his regeneration is changed due to a changed timeline and it's actually Doc 1 that regenerates into Jodie Whittaker, thus making a true reboot of the series.

They could never get away with that. People would lose their mind.

When 13 mentioned Galifrey my brain broke a little... Im still confused how time passes relative there. Would it be the first Doctors Galifrey, or the apocalyptic one 13 last visited?

Maybe it depends on whose Tardis they took?

Anyway, I thought it was just an okay episode, with Capaldi shining and doing a better job than the script deserved (like his entire run).

Loved the end monologues and farewells. Loved the regeneration and the Doctors smile when she realized what had happened.

Also, I want 1100 year aged scotch.

I thought it was okay as well. I wonder if the memory institute is an offshoot of the library, could be a little tale there how someone discovers living memories in there.

I am excited for 13? 14? Does the War Doctor truly count now? When does the new season start? If not January then its too far away.

Continued Quibble: Explodo-Regens are meh, it was cool but when it is every time... yawn.

When does the new season start? If not January then its too far away.

Sadly it seems to be autumn 2018. Not sure why it has to be so far off. I enjoyed the Christmas special - lots of nice touches with the original scenes from the Tenth Planet featuring and morphing into David Bradley's version of the 1st Doctor. Nice story line being a mystery that in the end is all very positive - no bad guys, just a chance for Capaldi and Bradley to enjoy themselves.

Good ending as well - another explosive start as per the 11th Doctors introduction and her first line was fun. Pleased Bradley Walsh is one of the companions - he's a very funny guy and looking forward to seeing him in the show.

Anyway, I thought it was just an okay episode, with Capaldi shining and doing a better job than the script deserved (like his entire run).

Exactly this. I'm not a fan that a change in showrunner necessitates a change in Doctor. I would've rather enjoyed more Capaldi episodes for someone else (with an occasional Moffat episode).

So much time had passed since the end of last season -- especially now that time has slowed to a crawl for the overlong "SJWs RUINED DOCTOR WHO" debate that's become one of the internet's most dreadful new pastimes -- that I basically felt like we'd already said goodbye to Capaldi. What should've been a tearful farewell felt more like a cheery but uninvolving years-later reunion special. Kinda like that Veronica Mars fan-service movie.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.