Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

This season is shaping up to be really good! Haven't been disappointed in any of them yet. I liked the moment when the Doctor casually grabbed his screwdriver from the dead kids' hand while Bill looked on mortified.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see that last line coming! No pun intended there, of course. :p Can't wait to see how the rest of the season plays out with the Doctor being blind. Maybe he'll remain so until his regeneration?

I thought I heard he was regenerating in the season ended not the Xmas special? In the season trailer there was a quick shot of his hand all regen-glowy.

Then again the season is done shooting and I'd be shocked if they could keep the new Doc a secret.

OMG if they did that people would lose their minds! I always thought it would be cool to do a true handoff episode. Like instead of regenerating at the end of the episode, do it mid way through the story to really showcase the difference.

Spoiler, maybe, for people who didn't bother to watch The Sarah Connor Chronicles

A good execution of writing against a viewer's expectations, when Derek Reese was killed in the beginning of an episode.

Spoiler, maybe, for people who didn't bother to watch The Sarah Connor Chronicles

A good execution of writing against a viewer's expectations, when Derek Reese was killed in the beginning of an episode.

LOL, I remember watching that episode with my brother. It was such a shock with how quick it was, I remember him going "What?! No!"

Another very strong episode with Extremis. Excellent ideas, good progression on the series storyline too.

Really enjoying this current series - so gutted Capaldi is not staying on longer. The series is benefitting from not having the dominating presence of Clara who just got too big of a character for me. Bill and Nardole are a nice double act in this one!

• 4 weeks later...

After the regeneration fake out I feel like John Simm is going to be a hallucination of some sort on Missy's part. Kind of a bummer-- we've had so many multi-Doctor team ups I think a master team up story would be awesome.

Either way it should be fun though because Missy is the best.

Michelle Gomez has given an amazing and memorable performance, but, damn, if every time I see her in an episode her role is 100% the Rani than the Master. I really think that's been a missed opportunity.

Guest Robin

I also agree that Missy is awesome and while a great Master being the Rani could have been something special.

I agree - was doubtful of the idea of Missy when introduced, but due to the excellent acting skills of Michelle Gomez, it's an excellent character.

Tonight's episode - wow!! Horrendous having to wait a whole week for the resolution to the cliffhanger and also the pre title sequence issue!!

Build up for this finish has been great, and brilliant to have John Simm back!

Okay so is The Master from after Simms last appearance? When he shuttered the timelock with Doc 10 to stop Rassilon? They never explained what happen between that moment and Missy's appearance, right?

Or is he from after being Yana but before Saxon? Or is he face recycling?

Also, I don't think the regeneration is a fake-out. They did a fake out 3 episodes ago. But interestingly, the bit they showed in the next time trailer was different than the cold open... literal cold open. Since we know they haven't announced a new Doctor yet and Capaldi will regenerate in the X-Mas special, I have a theory.

He's going to save the day (obviously) by using his regeneration power to do something it's not meant for-- but it will make him regenerate. In the final moments he saves the day, but then leaves and ends up in the snowy place from the open. Snow = XMas special.

The regeneration is real but we'll have to wait 6 months to see it... also, in the X-Mas special he's going to "hold it in" as it were to get his final story, then in the end will finally regenerate.

This would be the Master after the events of The End of Time. I don't see any time he could have done it prior to this - after regerating in to John Simm, he could only go back to present day Earth and assume his Saxon persona. Then he is shot and not resurrected until the events of The End of Time. During that story he is not quite himself to start with - the hunger, the odd X-ray style warping every so often - after he (briefly) creates the "Master Race", he seems more stable - well as much as The Master ever has been!

After that when he aids the Doctor and defeats Rassilons plans, presumably he ends up on Gallifrey and obtains a new TARDIS at last, or is able to retrieve is old pre Yana one somehow and after some adventures, we find him here on the lower decks of this ship.

His disguise in last nights episode was down to being recognisable as Saxon still to Bill. Whether he regerates to Missy in part 2, might be an option as she is no longer continuing with the role. Maybe they both get it at the same time and Simm changes to Missy and Missy to the new master at the same time! Regeneration overload!

But it's the reference back to Day of the Doctor where the older Doctors forget the events of a story when there are multiple versions of themselves there, only 11 remembered going forward, so Missy couldn't recall these events.

I think you are right there - we will have to wait for the Christmas special to see the regeneration for Capaldi. I was really surprised to see that pre title sequence.

This week needs to go quickly so I can see the final episode!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.