Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

I really didn't like the final episode. It all seemed to me to be a bit like they threw a number of good ideas at the first part but failed to come up with a reason for them to gel together properly.

Even if the master is lying about gallifrey could they not have come up with a better reason for why he/she has gone to so much trouble to get The Doctor an army? The Master looked evil and acted it in the first episode but really it wouldn't have mattered as The Doctor wouldn't have been hurt or menaced in any way!

Also the manipulation of Clara angle was poor too. I needed somebody who you would take orders from and go to hell for...

Firstly doesn't that sound like almost every companion he has had ever?

Secondly....why? It didn't bloody matter any way as you were giving the evil army to him anyway! You could do that any time you want!!!!!

Bleh

• 2 weeks later...

They've been so coy about it in the press and they've made her leaving a major story arc. That tells me one of two things-- she's not going anywhere or they're going to kill her.

I actually like Clara so I'm fine if she stays.

That said, since Who has come back they haven't killed a companion yet. That could have some weight...

• 1 year later...

I don't post about Doctor Who here because no one else does either. There are better places to go than nightly for DW discussions. Frankly I quite enjoyed the latest season of DW, but think Moffat has been burning the candle at both ends. He should've quit DW a couple years ago, even though I've liked what he's been doing with it. No new Who until next year and no new Sherlock until 2017 either? The man needs to pick one major gig and commit to it. Now we're getting fuck all from Moffat in 2016.

What Pavonis said. Also, I got burnt on Who fans. People like to bag on Star Wars nerds or Trekkies, but there is no fandom more derisive and scattered than Whovians. Any given thing with who-- be it The Doctor, a companion, the showrunner, an episode, a portrayal, an alien-- ANYTHING discussed will have somebody saying it is the WORST THING EVER and somebody saying it is THE BEST THING EVER.

RTD was running on fumes, and since Moffat had written some of the better episodes of that era, I was excited for his go at it. But, honestly, for me, Moffat's run has been pretty scattershot: a lot of big, clever ideas but no satisfactory payoff and a number of unremarkable and forgettable episodes.

I LOVE Capaldi as the Doctor though. It kind of sucks the River Song storyline's played out because I really enjoyed watching Capaldi and Kingston together.

What Pavonis said. Also, I got burnt on Who fans. People like to bag on Star Wars nerds or Trekkies, but there is no fandom more derisive and scattered than Whovians. Any given thing with who-- be it The Doctor, a companion, the showrunner, an episode, a portrayal, an alien-- ANYTHING discussed will have somebody saying it is the WORST THING EVER and somebody saying it is THE BEST THING EVER.

Especially showrunners. Every time there is a new showrunner, they get blamed for EVERYTHING wrong with the show, and are regarded as worse than Hitler. Then, when a new showrunner comes in, suddenly the old one was the best thing ever, and the new person is ****. I'm not denying Moffat's tenure has been mixed, and he is certainly trying to do too much, but he's far from the worse showrunner Doctor Who has ever had. I guarantee that once Moffat leaves, and the new guy comes in, the same people attacking Moffat now are going to be wistfully talking about how the show was so much BETTER when he ran it. The same thing happened with Davies.

I lived it too-- but they did do one thing, that they do frequently, where they say the Doctor has just lied some crazy amount of time off-camera and yet he doesn't change in the slightest. I know in this particular case he was resetting every time to having just been teleport by Ishilde-- but they've done this before.

Another thing I found interesting is how he apparently chooses his new face/body when he regenerates! They mentioned in one of the episodes this season that he may subconsciously choose them from someone he's known before. Has this ever been touched on in the series prior to this?

Also, when the 2nd Doctor is caught by the time lords, they offer images and choices for his next appearance (his punishment for stealing the TARDIS), none of which he likes of course!

And the 5th Doctor was shot (non fatal, just a flesh wound), by a character played by Colin Baker, so people suggest that this triggered the choice of his next appearance. But it's never referred to on screen so that one you can take or leave.

Man, that sounds exactly like SW or ST fans. Just post--

Prequels

JJ-Trek

TNG is better than..

TOS is better than...

William Shatner

TFA

Special Editions

...and its like driving a gasoline truck into a dynamite factory.

My wife and I binged seasons 1-7 (including all the specials and BBC Christmas charity shorts), watched seasons 8-9 as they aired, and would prefer to avoid any and all classic Who for the foreseeable future. Developing our own opinions under such hermetic circumstances left us so far disconnected from normal Whovian discussion circles that it's tough for either of us to find an entry point without being totally lost or instantly expelled. Usually I just lurk through writer/superfan Paul Cornell's post-ep Twitter discussions and leave it at that.

Short version: we've liked all the modern Doctors, we've liked more episodes than we've hated, and we've found no real reasons to spit when we type Moffat's name. We're a weird, silent minority.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I binged seasons 1-7 (including all the specials and BBC Christmas charity shorts), watched seasons 8-9 as they aired, and would prefer to avoid any and all classic Who for the foreseeable future. Developing our own opinions under such hermetic circumstances left us so far disconnected from normal Whovian discussion circles that it's tough for either of us to find an entry point without being totally lost or instantly expelled. Usually I just lurk through writer/superfan Paul Cornell's post-ep Twitter discussions and leave it at that.

Short version: we've liked all the modern Doctors, we've liked more episodes than we've hated, and we've found no real reasons to spit when we type Moffat's name. We're a weird, silent minority.

Don't worry. Like I said, the weird thing about Whovians is that whoever is the showrunner is the worst thing to ever happen to the show while they are actually in charge of it, and then a genius who was so underappreciated and should come back and take the show back over again once they leave. It's been that way since the Classic era, and will probably remain so forever.

• 8 months later...

So...anyone watch the Christmas special? It was, well, okay? The superhero thing was kind of weird. So is it now generally known that there is a Superman type guy flying around?

And why the heck was the Doctor there for when Grant was a kid? I mean, he was building something but couldn't finish it because Grant ate the crystal.

Oh, and Nardole is one of my new favorite characters on the series! Glad to see he will be in the coming season.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.