Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Interesting point: while Mr. Pink remains firmly grounded to the point of sainthood, Clara's become an adventure addict. I'm guessing this divergence will factor into her departure in some way.

That being said: between our secret giant-dragon-egg moon and our worldwide magical fireproof tree army that can grow into the exosphere or disintegrate itself at will, all while humanity never panics because we're basically too stupid to remember any of it, it kinda feels like Earth has turned into a rather silly children's book.

The moon egg did have an effect. Before that there were no space missions and no exploration.

Obviously something would have come along later to spark humanity's voyage into space but as The Doctor could then see at the end of the episode, the Moon-Egg caused this to happen quicker and get humanity back amongst the stars

Earth's history is really complicated considering how many times and events the Doctor has been to.

There has to be several occasions where multiple Doctors are on Earth at the same time.

I'd love it if Clara asked to Doctor to go somewhere, like Pompeii, and have him respond with "Sorry, can't-- im already there."

Or even better, show up somewhere a younger him just left and deal with his own aftermath.

So I have been holding out for any discussion on this season due to wanting to keep an open mind on the series. After seeing Dark Water, I'm now convinced DW has joined the Jump the Shark club. Matt Smith's removal was very welcome for me and it proved a lot of my earlier posts on him that he did not have the acting abilities to play The Doctor. BUT, the same team of writers are still around and that's not good. Peter Capaldi is a fantastic actor and his presence improved the show immensely after the horror show of Matt Smith. But thats not enough to carry my own interest in this.

I can understand putting The Search for Gallifrey on the back shelf for the time being. And maybe Missy/Master is the start of the search since she was able to get back. But *sigh* Im just not ready to embrace a regenerated Master as a woman. Yes, Im going to be that guy. But also, The Master had some redemption at the end of "The End of Time" and I think that would have been much more interesting as The Master and The Doctor working to repair hundreds of years of him being the Big Bad and now working together to salvage Gallifrey. But instead Steven Moffat is instead just going for small shock value and reverting back to an antagonistic relationship between the two. But hey, The Master is a woman now so we're edgy and cool.

Completely agree with you. Was really disappointed with the reveal at the end. Your suggestions sound good on a bit of team work (with maybe still some rivalry and competitiveness) to restore Gallifrey.

Don't like the decision they have made to make the Master a woman. Bring back The Rani - would have been happier with that.

Well I liked it.

No problem with the master being a woman. Regeneration completely messes up your genetic code, changes gallifreyan DNA so why not change genders too?

Especially when the character is played so well. A very devious, tricky character who is so obviously so in control of the situation. Constantly putting the doctor off the scent by pretending to be something else entirely.

I would have liked the cybermen part to be kept a bit more secret. That reveal was just nothing as it was all over the trailers all week.

I really enjoyed the storyline, very cleverly set up and with The Doctor saying "I'm missing something obvious here..." as he walks through a door with the image of a cyberman! Nicely done!

Shame about the spoilers, but the press did that earlier in the year as it was impossible to keep the filming in front of St Paul's cathedral under wraps. Nice to see the image repeated from the 2nd Doctors era, but was it necessary to the story? Maybe part 2 will expand on that bit.

I would have liked the cybermen part to be kept a bit more secret. That reveal was just nothing as it was all over the trailers all week.

Yeah, once you knew they were in the finale, those mysterious underwater skeletons weren't too hard to fathom. (Um, no pun intended.)

I also would've liked the episode a lot more if the show's official Twitter feed hadn't spoiled the Master's reveal for all American fans a full 4½ hours before showtime in the U.S. Instant unfollow.

I was pretty cool with Mr. Pink in general until he was written into that extremely narrow corner.

Watching seasons 1-7 and the specials as a six-month binge, it was easier to skate past the (seemingly rare) sillier episodes, but in viewing season 8 week-to-week, it's reminded me more and more of Silver Age DC Comics -- big, showy, broad in scope, brimming with imagination, filled with larger-than-life characters, but wince-inducing if given too many seconds to ponder what just happened.

Don't care what anyone says, once Missy was revealed and she went full on bananas I thought she was great.

Sorry Osgood had to go.

I didn't mind Pink at all.

Ready for a spinoff with Cyberbrigadier

Pretty sure Missy was teleported and not disintegrated.

Not buying Clara is actually done for a second.

Nick Frost as Santa!? that's going to rule, hope he gets a fight scene.

Watching seasons 1-7 and the specials as a six-month binge, it was easier to skate past the (seemingly rare) sillier episodes, but in viewing season 8 week-to-week, it's reminded me more and more of Silver Age DC Comics -- big, showy, broad in scope, brimming with imagination, filled with larger-than-life characters, but wince-inducing if given too many seconds to ponder what just happened.

Damn, that's good.

Missy as the Master really didn't feel suspenseful to me. Except her scene with Osgood. :( (I prefer menace over manic.) And her plan was somewhat convoluted to get foiled so easily. The Brigadier bit was fantastic. The portal with the dead kid and the bracelet felt totally rushed and thrown together. That ****ing shirt. Loved the line about hugs.

Pegg and now Frost. Could there be a Wright in our future?

I didn't mind the manic, but I too usually prefer more menace. I felt like the manic take was fueled by the sudden and possibly confusing physical impluses to their love/hate relationship.

On that I think a scientific explanation could be said for the sudden gender change in this specific duo... no other Timelords, the biological imperative, perpetuation of the species.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.