Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

That said, the speed talking and general pacing of the show has slowed down considerably with the new Doctor. Stylistically it's completely different

Very true. I've only missed the occasionaly line this series, compared to probably a couple more in earlier years. I think the one I missed last week was during the prologue when they were running in the TARDIS

I can understand the accents, no problem there, for me it's a sound levels thing. The music and soundFX drown out the dialogue. Could be my set up, but I think it is the recording levels because other things sound fine. Of course in fairness I should say I have four kids who sorta watch with me and that sometimes gets testy.

Are you watching in HD? The BBC have been doing quite poorly with sound recently, especially on the HD channel, and I have had the same problem in the past few years. Trying adjusting your set up a bit for next week as I think the BBC are a bit rubbish at sound levels. The whole Jamaica Inn saga showed that

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed "Mummy on the Orient Express." (Except for the too-common "reset" cheat that opened the episode.) In fact, to me, it felt like it could have been a great old-school serial:

At least four episodes because there were good hooks throughout it

Episode one could've ended revealing they're actually in space

Episode two could've ended with the discovery of the high-tech sarcophagus

Episode three could've ended that they're part of an experiment

Episode could've wrapped it all up

I'd have also liked some more time exploring the Doctor's and Clara's current relationship.

I find Clara WAY more interesting now. She was fun before, but watching her deal with the Doctor being different brings out a lot more from her.

The whole reason Clara is struggling is because while she recognizes the Doctor has had many forms, the one she knew best was the most gregarious. They don't say it outright, but she's looking for the 11th in there and doesn't want to accept her first Doctor may have been the outlier personality. And similarly, also not presented outright, the Doctor KNOWS he's changed, but his natural-born arrogance is always going to favor his current self and he's a little more crusty now so he's not exactly keen on coddling her through the transition.

This is why a lot of companions bail after regenerations. Not all of course, Sarah Jane, Peri, Rose-- it's not unheard of, but aside from Peri, none of them has had to deal with a significantly different personality from the Doctor.

My issue with Clara isn't the base story they are doing. My issue is more with the way the direction, dialogue or actor is choosing to display the struggle. For me Clara feels whiny, I love how she calls the Doctor on his shit and I believe it'd be hard to adjust to the sitch in her shoes, it's just how she does it. Maybe it is more my perception. Just I often want to yell at her for whining like a spoiled, ungrateful baby. She reminds me of my kids when they know better than me or think they do.

This week was alright, nothing great just a bit of a jaunt through the woods. I quite liked the way that Danny showed (without really meaning to) how Clara has been affected by travelling with the Doctor. In other episodes she would be very much about protecting the children but now she's much more Doctor than child-minder.

Interesting point: while Mr. Pink remains firmly grounded to the point of sainthood, Clara's become an adventure addict. I'm guessing this divergence will factor into her departure in some way.

That being said: between our secret giant-dragon-egg moon and our worldwide magical fireproof tree army that can grow into the exosphere or disintegrate itself at will, all while humanity never panics because we're basically too stupid to remember any of it, it kinda feels like Earth has turned into a rather silly children's book.

The lack of culture changing due to events doesn't bother me, Humanity has ADD. As for the trees going poof, the FX used matched the Golden-Midichlorians that were talking to the Doctor thru the little girl. I think we were supposed to assume the Golden-Midichlorians were creating everything with some kind of matter/energy conversion of their own forms.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.