Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

A month or so back, my kids - age 7 and 11, started watching this. My brother did back in the 1980s, but I never got into it. Watched a few of them since - from 2006 or something. Some goofy aliens impersonating British politicians. Not bad, actually.

Hopefully more tolerable translates to nothing at all like because the 6th is my least favorite Doctor. I'd rather watch a series dedicated to Adric than anything more about the 6th Doctor or similar to.

From what I've read, the 12th can be a bit brash, and often curt and standoffish, just like the 6th, but not in an overbearing and obnoxious way as 6 was, and it seems like he's aware of that fact and trying to change. He has a bit of a temper, and is rather irritable at times (kind of how the First Doctor started), but it's also clear that he cares a great deal and very much wants to be a good person. It adds a bit of conflict with Clara. Clara was kind of 11's nanny, whereas with 12 she is more like Ace was with 7: Someone there to keep the Doctor grounded, and stop him from going over the line. She keeps him from becoming a total bastard. It's a refreshing change from what we have seen with modern Who.

Well that description fits every incarnation really. So I have no concerns now.

Kurgan, the 2006 series was sort of a reboot and is meant to be accessible to new viewers. It's the perfect place for you and your kids to jump in. As you've probably already seen, Doctor Who is meant to have a high level of ridiculous. As long as you remember it's all in fun, then even the less enjoyable moments fly by. If you come to Doctor Who expecting high brow Asimov that's when things feel tedious. Hope you continue to enjoy the show with the kids.

Well that description fits every incarnation really. So I have no concerns now.

Kurgan, the 2006 series was sort of a reboot and is meant to be accessible to new viewers. It's the perfect place for you and your kids to jump in. As you've probably already seen, Doctor Who is meant to have a high level of ridiculous. As long as you remember it's all in fun, then even the less enjoyable moments fly by. If you come to Doctor Who expecting high brow Asimov that's when things feel tedious. Hope you continue to enjoy the show with the kids.

Yeah, I kind of gathered that. It's good fun.

Good picture! Sums it up nicely!

They've been showing some old Who's here in the UK on the Horror (?) channel, and just watched the final episode of The Caves of Androzani again. Damn that was such a good story. 5 was my Doctor growing up, only saw the very tail end of Tom Bakers run.

Good to look back on the classics! :-)

Those first and last stories just have something extra about them! Love a good regeneration! Looking forward to seeing that opener for the new Doctor! Confusion, finding your way, saving the day and picking up a new outfit on the way! Good times!

• 3 weeks later...

Shame, but not massively surprising. She's been in it a good while and her sub plot had run its course. Very much enjoyed her time in the Tardis, and sounds like it will be a lively exit at Xmas!

Be interesting to see who comes on board to be with Capaldi's Doctor.

Shame, but not massively surprising. She's been in it a good while and her sub plot had run its course. Very much enjoyed her time in the Tardis, and sounds like it will be a lively exit at Xmas!

Be interesting to see who comes on board to be with Capaldi's Doctor.

She only did a year and a half, which given the importance of what she was supposed to be seems like a let down. Especially considering that Rose and Amy put in so much more time.

I know what you mean, but when we get to the Xmas special, she will have done 25 episodes compared to Amy's 33. So a good stint really.

Don't get me wrong, I would be very happy to see her continue. It's happened a few times though that a regeneration triggers a change in the companions.

Can't wait for Saturday and the start if the new series! It's been too long a break!

Honestly, the timing of Smith and now Coleman's departure both felt off to me. Smith had gotten sort of a soft reboot with a new intro, new status quo, new Tardis and new attitude which was added to by the addition of Coleman. Felt like a fresh start, but he was out after one season from there. Similarly, I felt like we had finally gotten her impossibleness sort of explained, but she still had a ways to go. Just feels early.

I'd love to see Capaldi and River, the mature not far from the Library River, but I don't think the BBC would let both leads be old.

I'm not sure how the article came to the conclusion of Clara being one of the "longest-standing companions ever." This is just plain false. With the exceptions of Docs 1 and 4, the classic series companions pretty much stayed with their Doctor for the duration:

Doc 2: Jamie was with the Second Doctor's second episode until the end of that incarnation.
Doc 3: Jo Grant for the Third Doc's middle three seasons.
Doc 5: Tegan was in all but the last 2 of Doc Five's storylines.
Doc 6: Peri (Bewbs)
Doc 7: Ace! (No one wants to remember Mel).

With the revival, one thing that has been relatively constant is the companion revolving door.

I agree with Driver. Series 7.2 (and the soft reboot as he put it) with Clara brought me back to Doctor Who after I abandoned it after Doc 11's first season. Clara still has a lot to offer especially when she is the one with the knowledge and interaction with of all his previous incarnations. But, she was hired mostly because she could talk as fast as Matt Smith and they were similar in age. So the cynic in me just thinks Team Moffat doesn't really have any ideas for her because her role was just to have someone Matt Smith's Doctor could molest every five minutes.

If we hadn't seen River backstory overload with Amy then Clara's story could have maybe perhaps fit that character the besterest. Just think about it a moment. All incarnation interaction, regenerative capabilities, time traveler without really traveling, paradox, impossible girl etc. etc. etc.

It fits so well it makes me wonder if Moffat had two favorite ideas, of probably many, for River. He picked the one we got and then realized he really loved the other too so he reused the premises with Clara.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.