Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

So the BBC released a pic of Capaldi in his Doctor outfit. It's a little plain for me. I love the bright splash of red on the interior of his coat, but otherwise a little ho-hum.

Maybe I was hoping for something a little daft. Not like the 6th's absurd bozo look, but maybe something daringly silly like the 5th's celery stalk or the 4th's scarf. Just one weird item.

Maybe [thinks] tri-colored bowling shoes. Yeah. With the 12 on the heel.

Yep. Bowling shoes. Bowling is cool.

Afterthought: Googled. Like this, rental style.

http://www.qubicaamf.com/QubicaAMF/files/74/74cda71f-2c89-48f6-994f-12048482b44f.jpg

But with only a 12 on the heel. Yep. That is what I'd have done.

So the BBC released a pic of Capaldi in his Doctor outfit. It's a little plain for me. I love the bright splash of red on the interior of his coat, but otherwise a little ho-hum.

Maybe I was hoping for something a little daft. Not like the 6th's absurd bozo look, but maybe something daringly silly like the 5th's celery stalk or the 4th's scarf. Just one weird item.

Maybe [thinks] tri-colored bowling shoes. Yeah. With the 12 on the heel.

Yep. Bowling shoes. Bowling is cool.

Afterthought: Googled. Like this, rental style.

http://www.qubicaamf.com/QubicaAMF/files/74/74cda71f-2c89-48f6-994f-12048482b44f.jpg

But with only a 12 on the heel. Yep. That is what I'd have done.

He's wearing a rather dashing pair of Doc Martens.

The 9th was shockingly basic too, I'll grant that basic can work and maybe the 9th worked because of the performance. I think Capaldi will be smashing, but while the 9th was basic he did have that leather peacoat which was super cool looking and is now totally identifiable with him. Except for that flash of red this new look is sorta generic. Cosplayers probably will love it, but who's going to recognize it other than the equally geeky? I know people like Doc Martins, but eh, they're black shoes.

The 9th was shockingly basic too, I'll grant that basic can work and maybe the 9th worked because of the performance. I think Capaldi will be smashing, but while the 9th was basic he did have that leather peacoat which was super cool looking and is now totally identifiable with him. Except for that flash of red this new look is sorta generic. Cosplayers probably will love it, but who's going to recognize it other than the equally geeky? I know people like Doc Martins, but eh, they're black shoes.

Expensive to boot. No pun intended.

I like the Jon Pertwee style they are going for as has been mentioned above. It is basically not much different to how he looks after regenerating. Buttoned up shirt, longer length jacket, etc.

What I like about the first story for a new Doctor is the discovering of the new outfit. Trying on a few random things sometimes, before finding the new look. Hope this doesn't get lost with him just throwing on the new jacket with the funky red lining...

• 5 months later...

Screwdrivers! Ha ha! BBC have not been too worried about merchandise! After 50 years you would have thought they might be!

Apparently 5 scripts have been leaked online - hope there are no spoilers here because I am really looking forward to some new episodes! It has been way too long since we had a full series on our screens! Got really high hopes with Capaldi - such a good actor!

I haven't heard spoilers, but I have heard a few people say the Doctor is super pompous and unlikeable ala #6. Grain of salt I say, SO MUCH of the Doctor is in the performance. after two ADD, hyperactive Doctors in a row anything is going to seem like a departure.

Agreed - what make this show last is the variety each doctor has brought to the role. 6 was such a massive change from 5, but he wasn't all bad. The scripts - well sure! They were pretty bad!

This is the first proper "different" Doctor since the relaunch - older is all we know for sure, grumpier seems very likely! Looking forward to it! :-)

Hi. Longtime listener, first-time caller.

My wife and I just finished watching all seven seasons of the new stuff plus all specials and relevant shorts according to Wikipedia. So now we can actually watch the show as it airs come August.

Could someone do us a solid and summarize the first 95 pages of this thread? Thanks in advance!

I loved River Song's first few appearances. I always love the character in concept/theory. But Alex Kingston was getting too old to play an increasingly younger River and at times her precociousness and action-heroness both felt super forced

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.