Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

• 2 months later...

That article is ridiculous. The show is about a magic man in a blue box who goes to weird places and has to fight monsters without fighting them too violently. An explanation of "I can not go to that weird place because I have already gone to that weird place too much and now it is too dangerous" is perfectly acceptable. The fact that even that weird place is contiguously connected to non-weird places so logically he should be able to get there by normal methods is not relevant --- the show is explicitly not about going to places by normal ways and such a normal solution to the weird problems is not a part of its toolbox.

Odd, my irony detector just exploded...

You're poo pooing an article for wanting too much detail on a scifi show here, and yet, in the Star Wars thread you're spouting the make and model of Princess Leia's Alderaanian diaphram or something.

It is because Star Wars and Doctor Who are very different kinds of science fiction. This is reflected, partially, in the fact that there is such a thing as Star Wars canon but absolutely no such thing as Doctor Who canon.

You can google for the essay by Paul Cornell or the blog by Teatime Brutality for elaborations on this fact stick that in your irony detector and smoke it oh actually it is a valid criticism of me that I look for detail in some things but not in others but in this case I think it's justified by the nature of the different story settings but WE MAY DISAGREE ON THIS

• 3 weeks later...

It was pretty good! I kept thinking of it as Alien on a Russian submarine.

Nice use of the Ice Warriors too. I wish the resolution wasn't just a plea for mercy though. They could have worked in the TARDIS's 'HAD' system somehow. Have him mention tinkering with it earlier on to move when in distress, then create a field of some sort that moves lifeforms in a similar way. That way the Ice Warrior leaves, tries to launch the nukes and the Doctor blows the sub. The TARDIS manages to lock onto them all and move them to somewhere else safe as the sub sinks before the warhead can detonate.

I won't get to see next weeks as I will be at THE DOCTOR WHO EXHIBITION IN CARDIFF. I promise you all pictures to make you all jealous :)

Agreed - did not think that would be the case when it started, but very story.

The sequence jumping through Earth's history in a few minutes and the effect it had on Clara, reference to Metebilis 3, the Tardis still being suspicious of Clara - good stuff.

Next weeks looks very good - the title alone had already got me: Journey to the Centre of the Tardis!

• 4 weeks later...

That was a very enjoyable episode! Great to see the references to the previous doctors, especially the 1st Doctor and Susan choosing which Tardis to "borrow"!! Great stuff.

Proper bombshell at the end. Was not expecting that. I guess that is the future Doctor that spoke his real name at Trenzalore and died. It could also be the Valeyard as that name was mentioned by the Great Intelligence. Who knows...

Can't wait for that 50th Anniversary special!! :-)

Yeah the interwebs seems convinced it's the Valeyard and/or a secret regeneration that fought the time war. That seems to be based on his coat being like Eccelson's and saying he did bad stuff, which we know Doc did in that era.

But that would mess up the numbering, and the current Doc has said he's the 11th. Maybe he was made to forget that regeneration much like the Master was and the info was trapped in the time lock. I remember a DS9 episode where Dax learned she had a host that was a killer and the Trill leaders had erased it from her mind.

I think it's more likely that John Hurt was the 9th Doctor, and the time war was fought for thousands of years, long enough that he actually aged. And part of the time lock reversed time, so it took him back to the beginning of that regeneration.... BUT THEN AGAIN in "Rose" it seemed as though the 9th body was new to him, and the war wasn't that fresh in his mind.

I don't think Hurt is a future Doctor though, cause the current Doc was aware of what he'd done.... UNLESS entering his time stream gave him future knowledge..., grrrrrr

I actually think is Doctor Zero. that's the Original body of the Galifrayan that's spent his life training to be a Timelord. Before choosing his name and dedicating his life to a purpose he did OMG BAD STUFF. Maybe even for the Timelord high council we know is corrupt. Whatever he did, he changed his ways, became a Timelord, chose his name, and either right before or right after regenerated into William Hartnell.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.