Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

It was okay. I like the new companion and the cool stuff about her. I predict lots of West Wing style rapid-fire dialogue, which I HATE but everyone else seems to adore.

I don't know if I like the new TARDIS interior or not-it seems very sterile and the lights around the perimeter are a direct rip-off of the mothership's from Close Encounters. And I miss the mish-mash of goofy objects on the control panel. A freind who has been watching this series since the scarf doctor (70s?) tells me this was the point of the objects and the console-that the doctor collected things from his travels and it was part souveniers from the places he's been. I miss the bridge deck grating of the last TARDIS-I loved the way it made light patterns. This one looks too 1980's to me. I expect the Doctor to appear in parachute pants and Depeche Mode haircut. And the teeny windows look dumb but it IS clean looking and new without being too much of a change.

I kind of wish they'd have let him pick up "Clara" from Victorian times. All his companions have been from our time-the ones that actually traveled with him, anyway. I think it'd be interesting to snag someone from, say, the Middle Ages or the Renaissance or our future-but maybe it wouldn't be relatable that way?

LOVE the new credits, music and images. Still like Matt Smith's version of The Doctor a lot , too.

This episode reminded me a LOT of the Shatner-directed Treks-really heavy on thwe whimsy "Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time and this is my wife..." and BTW, did NOBODY in that time period notice she was a LIZARD WOMAN? Even under her veil? PLEASE.

And did you see this?:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4650459/Doctors-lost-script-is-saved.html

somebody theorized above this may be the non-desktop them version. as in OG style. Makes sense given how much Galifray scribble is everywhere. If the Doctor is trying to remove himself cutting out the decor is one way to go.

I love the retro 80s vibe to it. I think it's the best interior ever,

This episode reminded me a LOT of the Shatner-directed Treks-really heavy on thwe whimsy "Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time and this is my wife..." and BTW, did NOBODY in that time period notice she was a LIZARD WOMAN? Even under her veil? PLEASE.

And did you see this?:

http://www.thesun.co...t-is-saved.html

I can't remember if it was in the episode or not but there were a series of prequel vignettes leading up to 'The Snowmen' where this was addressed. Essentially, Scotland Yard knows she's not human (but seem more shocked that she's a lesbian), everyone else thinks she has some skin condition.

somebody theorized above this may be the non-desktop them version. as in OG style. Makes sense given how much Galifray scribble is everywhere. If the Doctor is trying to remove himself cutting out the decor is one way to go.

I love the retro 80s vibe to it. I think it's the best interior ever,

arh nice, its my favourite so far thats for sure!

I can't remember if it was in the episode or not but there were a series of prequel vignettes leading up to 'The Snowmen' where this was addressed. Essentially, Scotland Yard knows she's not human (but seem more shocked that she's a lesbian), everyone else thinks she has some skin condition.

http://screenrant.com/doctor-who-2012-christmas-special-trailer-prequel-snowmen/

That's classic. Just look at society, many things are acceptable... until it's gay. And then there is the triple standard of it lesbianism being more acceptable/marketable over geeze the guys need to get a special word everyone's homosexual and gay but girls get lesbian... something needs to come up with something. Yeah lesbians are more TV friendly because there isn't any icky man on man kissing or what what in the buttism. So explains my gay friends anyway.

But back to the episode: :heart: It! Goodbye, Pond! Hello to the Girl That Never Dies Except When She Dies All The Time!

Afterthought: The Open is RADICAL!

Afterthought, Part Deux: The Tardis interior is FABULOUS!

Afterthought, The Trilogy: The Doctor's new look is still COOL!

P.S. SOMEONE MAKE A NEW THREAD, DAD GUM!

Edit: it

That's classic. Just look at society, many things are acceptable... until it's gay. And then there is the triple standard of it lesbianism being more acceptable/marketable over geeze the guys need to get a special word everyone's homosexual and gay but girls get lesbian... something needs to come up with something. Yeah lesbians are more TV friendly because there isn't any icky man on man kissing or what what in the buttism. So explains my gay friends anyway.

The show *featured* a gay character in S1 and then gave him his *own show*. I'm not sure these assertions carry any weight in regards to new Who.

The Doctor brought them there in the Tardis. The perception filters helped establish her identity.

It's a show about a guy in a time travelling box with robots, monsters and silly British things. A lizard woman in Victorian England is where you suddenly draw a line?

The Doctor brought them there in the Tardis. The perception filters helped establish her identity.

It's a show about a guy in a time travelling box with robots, monsters and silly British things. A lizard woman in Victorian England is where you suddenly draw a line?

Plus medicine was so sketchy back then!

Good point, but NO. I do have this tendency to suspend disbelief for some things but not others, so I see why you'd say that.

She is among regular, Victorian Era humans who don't seem to notice she's a lizard. They notice the Sontoran and remark on him. Those who see the TARDIS appear and disappear are astonished. Outside of the bit Obsidian posted (hadn't seen that-THANKS!) I haven't seen anyone even mention her lizard skin. Am I just missing the mentions?

Yes. You are. Specifically the video linked above details it explicitly and the Baddie in the episode also just acknowledged it right off. The average citizen doesn't pay attention as she doesn't seem to go out during the day unless necessary. When she does go out she's veiled, even at night. With someone like the Inspector who works closely with her she is forthright and open about who she is and 'the small human mind' refuses to acknowledge 'the terrible truth' and fabricates a 'it's a skin condition' explanation to deal with it instead.

Afterthought:

Not that a show like Ancient Aliens should be taken without a spoonful of salt, but there have been discoveries (journals, letters etc) that show preachers and teachers and leadership figures of ye olden times openly acknowledging and talking about the possibility of aliens from other planets to the common man. Ben Franklin among them. So the way Who deals with many of these situations isn't so crazy. Alien life was talked about back then, some even accepted it as true. It's only in recent times of tighter government secrets/power that Advanced Alien Life capable of visiting us is scoffed at.

The doctor has said many times that the human mind works overtime to dismiss and rationalize strange and scary things. The Tardis perception filters take advantage of this flaw and exploit it, but it is a constant human flaw nonetheless.

Of course some humans don't have the flaw and tend to do the opposite-- the are amazed and attracted to the strange and unusual. When the Doctor meets somebody like that he extends an invitation.

On 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer', it was said that people ignored or rationalized away that which contradicted their world view (i.e. they excused vampire attacks as 'gangs on PCP' since they didn't want to admit vampires existed). A similar principle seems to be in affect in the Doctor Who universe.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.