Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm over Pond. So happy with the news they are writing her out. Don't get me wrong, she's hot, but I've always hated that as soon as she appeared they redid the open with her doing a monologue... like it's all about her. **** that. The companions are usually cool and all, but I don't watch for them which is contrary to what Moffat believes. I watch for the Doctor, I view the companions as just talking MacGuffins, I care for them little more than that.

As for the Xmas Special, it was decent. Had some neat moments, but overall it was just another episode.

I enjoyed the Xmas special. I never thought that every episode must involve peril to the universe, or Earth for that matter. Sometimes the well-being of an individual or a family is sufficient to make a story dramatic. If the Doctor is going to keep a lower profile for now, then these kinds of stories should be more common in the next season.

How are we clamorimg for a new doctor when this one has barely hade a chance to settle in?

I’m clamoring for a complete overhaul of the series, writers and actors. RTD’s worse is nothing compared to the constant drivel that the new gang is putting out. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a Matt Smith hater. He acts out well what’s given to him. But what’s given to him is crap and the direction is worse.

Game of Thrones proved that 21st century audiences can enjoy and make profitable a character driven series. Additionally, the new crew in particular seems to want to ignore every piece of established history (both old series and new) and just turn everything on its head just because. It’s tiring and insulting.

You confuse me. Why is Gam of Thrones comparable? A million shows are character driven series, I don't see the connection between the two... and as far as I can remember you hated Moffet's reign before it even began.

The only thing I'm tired of is River Song, but they brought her arc to a nice close. Matt Smith is great-- sure it will take a while for me to be as endeared to him as I was Tennant, but by and large the episodes themselves have been way better than Tennant's first two years and Eccelson's run combined.

I love Pond, but I think they wrote her into a corner too quickly with Rory and getting married. I personally liked the shift to the showing being her point of view, it added some mystique back to the Doctor. All of this is workable and doesn't need an all-new showrunner and Doctor.

RTD’s worse is nothing compared to the constant drivel that the new gang is putting out.

That's a strong statement. RTD had some pretty awful ones.

Retrospectively, after the first arc of Eccleston's run was completed, all the subsequent arcs have had good set-up with so-so resolution.

^ "You know that's right."[/burton Guster]

Several of the big event episodes with Tennant and even Smith just end so... meh, ugh? and blargh! Also I'm not sure I can side with the notion that The 11th Doctor run has been better than The 9th Doctor's season, maybe on par or close to, but not more than. Eccleston had some really super fantastic episodes and moments within episodes.

RTD's run was decent, as long as he was kept away from a keyboard. He would build up strong and interesting arc, and then blow it it at the last minute with anti-climactic, or just plain idiotic, resolutions "Journey's End", anyone?.

As to bad episodes... I'm sorry. While Moffat has had some not-so-great episodes, nothing during his tenure has even approached the level of awfulness of 'Love and Monsters', 'Fear Her', 'Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks', 'Aliens of London/World War III' or 'The Lazarus Experiment'. 'The Lodger', arguably the worst episode during Moffat's run, may not have been great, but it was Citizen Kane compared to those RTD eps I mentioned.

Noooooo the Silurian episodes were the worst but managed to get saved by the killing off of Rory at the end. After that it is the Dalek episode, great idea to reboot them as they are now, just a poor poor story.

RTD had better finale stories, Moffat has better layering of storylines and they both (kind of) suck at resolutions.

I cringe just thinking about the end of the third series. 'DOCTOR....' Bleh.

Noooooo the Silurian episodes were the worst but managed to get saved by the killing off of Rory at the end. After that it is the Dalek episode, great idea to reboot them as they are now, just a poor poor story.

RTD had better finale stories, Moffat has better layering of storylines and they both (kind of) suck at resolutions.

I cringe just thinking about the end of the third series. 'DOCTOR....' Bleh.

I didn't have much problem with the Silurian episodes. They were not great, but I wouldn't call them horrible. Just kinda 'bleh.'

Moffet's worst episodes are, at their least, mediocre. Davies' worst were truly bad.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.