Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

I dunno if we'd follow Doctor Ganger, just that his survival could be ambiguous. Then later maybe he pops up again.

Also since Rory isn't Rory, he's 2000 year old artificial Rory, I totally believe we were being shown Rory's... Shall we say ancestors? "It's early technology." Says the Doctor. Then he looks at Rory. Then Rory is all emotionally invested in the Gangers' plight. Then the Gangers decide, later in the episode, not to go after Rory even though he was alone and an easy target. The Doctor even explains to Amy, "They're not after Rory, they want us." paraphrased.

Nah, I don't think they are beginnings of the Autons. These things are living plastic and are much more advanced. I do however think that Rory is invested in them because he had a similar situation when he was an Auton (kind of)

I didn't get into this episode at all. Everybody who was on-TARDIS were amazingly poor at acting. So wooden. And the Northern accents were just off putting (or maybe thats because I don't want to think that I could possibly sound like that Jennifer character)

And pleeeeeeeease don't let it be Ganger-Doctor that dies. Or Ganger Doctor turns up and everybody forgets about it. Way too obvious and not nearly intelligent enough for a Moffat storyline (I hope)

I dunno if we'd follow Doctor Ganger, just that his survival could be ambiguous. Then later maybe he pops up again.

Also since Rory isn't Rory, he's 2000 year old artificial Rory, I totally believe we were being shown Rory's... Shall we say ancestors? "It's early technology." Says the Doctor. Then he looks at Rory. Then Rory is all emotionally invested in the Gangers' plight. Then the Gangers decide, later in the episode, not to go after Rory even though he was alone and an easy target. The Doctor even explains to Amy, "They're not after Rory, they want us." paraphrased.

No, Rory is human now; he was "rebooted" with the rest of the Universe. He just remembers being plastic. Anyway, Autons are animated by the Nestene Consciousness, an extraterrestrial entity. They're not human-made (though I suppose the Autons could be in for a Cybermen-type reboot of their origin).

I figured the 'Gangers weren't after Rory simply because they're out to destroy their originals, not just humans (or Time Lords) in general. They don't need to kill Rory because he doesn't threaten their existence.

Are you sure Rory is Rory? I'm almost certain they never said outright and also that on/off this season they keep dropping hints... more like reminders... that he isn't Rory but that Amy doesn't remember or realize that. This is two weeks in a row now, actually. Also if he is Rory, the original but rebooted, then why would he have artificial Rory's memories? Oh sure "Amy rebooted everything" but why would she reboot Rory with knowledge he was dead and then existed as a fake? That seems cruel. No. Unless there is definitive proof said in an episode I have to believe that Rory is artificial Rory.

Afterthought: And I'm not saying literally that Autons are evolved tech from the Flesh but that the Flesh is just an earlier similar technology. Sorta like if we saw the missing link in Human evolution (if you're one to believe there is one), that missing link wouldn't literally be a Human. If it was literally a Human it wouldn't be the missing link. It's a similar species in the overall chain of evolution for the present species. With technology there isn't a genetic link, like in evolution, but there are similarities between tech whereby you can look at it and go... that's earlier technology of this other device. It may even be directly related at some point, via inspiration or whatever, or it could just be similar.

But whatever the case, the sequence in the episodes goes like this:

1. The Doctor recognizes The Flesh as alive.

2. The Doctor dubs The Flesh as earlier technology and then looks at Rory.

3. Other characters question The Doctor about this proclamation, but The Doctor doesn't expand the thought.

4. Rory becomes emotionally invested in the plight of The Flesh.

5. Amy is confused, perhaps even a bit jealous over this attachment.

6. The Flesh Jennifer decides not to harm Rory, probably initially due to his kindness.

7. The Flesh don't hunt Rory.

8. The Doctor insists Rory isn't in harm's way, while never explaining to Amy why and looking away from her when she questions.

The Gangers, presumably the Autons too or whatever Rory was... are replicated at the cellular level. This episode even had The Doctor confirm the Ganger had working replicated human organs. He wasn't speaking metaphorically, at least not soley. He says, about the Electroshocked Ganger, they stopped his heart, he had a heart. The Doctor insists they are alive, so why would another advanced-knowledged thing... like the Siren think otherwise? Rory, whether he's literally Rory or artifical Rory, IS ALIVE.

OK, we saw Eyepatch Lady again, WTF!? Why does she only appear when Amy's alone and looking for something? Amy sees and speaks to her but she doesn't seem to be aware of Amy.

So was it the beginning of this season that started with Amy & Rory married and 2 years had passed? What if the whole season's been some time of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey mind-****? What if it has something to do with Amy's pregnancy/no pregnancy? Like the REAL Amy is pregnant but is in a coma in a hospital and this Amy isn't pregnant? Or thos one is and the real Amy exists 2 years ago and isn't? Maybe she got caught in a time warp?

ALSO: off thread topic, just saw a rerun of The Waters of Mars and have to remark HOW DARK the Doctor was at the end of this episode! How cyncical, how rule-breaking, how "**** it!" he was and how well David Tennat acted that part. I rewound twice. AM I RITE. VAILDATE ME.

Yeah, when he was telling her to breathe and then as the situation was collapsing in the TARDIS I was totally dumbstruck. I re-watched that scene a number of times and it all still doesn't register.

I was also reminded of Idris telling the Doctor she always took him where he needed to go, and why they had arrived there. It wasn't any side adventure.

i really enjoyed that episode

though the cliffhanger wasn't that special and the big reveal was pretty obvious to be honest, rory's reaction was priceless though!

plus it was pretty cool seeing the doctor's reaction to who river is, i think it opens up more possibilities to delve deeper in the suffering of the doctor since the end of the last great time war

the episode 8 title seems a bit extreme but it will keep people chatting until the second half of the season! i wonder how it will play out and if they actually will kill hitler lol

Oh my ****ing WOW!

I was almost hoping the River reveal was she was Gallifreyan, but I'm not upset how it played out. Such possibilities, with the girl from the spacesuit/River theories both being likely valid.

And I nearly pissed myself when the baby got juiced.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.