Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Yes, I realize that when River picked up a book about Romans, that the Doc and Amy were still in Roman times. Annoying!

I think it was more the fact that they were the exact same Romans from the book. Plus a lot of kids watch the show, the 'prods' were probably aimed at them rather than a high end viewer such as yourself.

OK, I can kinda buy that. Not to sound like an old fart (I was born during the Pertwee era), but they never USED to do that! Or never HAD to do that! Again, I think it's a fairly recent trend. I blame CSI for it.

But wasn't each episode a lot shorter and coupled with a quick recap at the beginning of each? (I was born during 'The Dark Years' so only see old ep's in omnibus style)

I think it could also be that viewers on the whole are now being regarded as a lot more lazy and stupid when that isn't the case (mostly)

Actually, Killa, the exact opposite was true. The parts themselves were short (20-30 minutes) but the story as a whole often lasted 2-2 ½ hours.

Being a U.S. American without a map, I’m not so sure about the recaps. Back in the day our DW was broadcast via PBS. So, I’m not sure what happened during that original broadcast episode in Jolly Ole…

You guys think you're old. I was born during the Troughton years. Okay, the last 3 months of the Troughton years, but I'm still old.

Although I am a sci-fi geek & was raised as such, I never saw Dr. Who as a kid. Maybe my mid teens when I even heard of him. My younger cousin called me from California. I guess he was a geek too because he asked if I watched Dr. Who. I told him I never heard of Dr. Who. Then going to my mom (the sci-fi geek parental unit) I asked her what was Dr. Who. "Oh it's great! This crazy guy travels through time in a phone booth, etc...". It's then that i found Dr. Who on PBS & watched whenever it was on.

I just watched the last episode (which I thought was the finale). I thought it was great. I agree with UK Legend Killa about the show having younger viewers as well. Whenever I see a flashback, I say the same thing to myself, that it's for the kids. Can't wait for tomorrow night or whenever I can get my hands on the last episode.

One question (ok, two) & it may be a stupid one (or two). If the things were appearing because of Amy, why was there a Cyberman there if Amy hadn't known about Cybermen? I guess the Doctor's enemies are all really there, but then what about the BOX & the enemies knowing about it? Wasn't the BOX created from Amy's mind?

The scenario was created from her mind, hence why the Romans were the same as the ones she has read about, but I'm not sure about the Box situation yet. That may be adressed in the next episode so I don't want to speculate yet as I may spoil it for myself.

I think they may have gotten the idea from her mind and adapted it. All the enemies were real, they just used Amy's experiences to trap the Doctor and make a trap that was believable (after all the other failures at trapping him)

Just a quick spot from Flesh & Stone, when the doctor comes back to say to Amy to remember what he said to her as a child, he is wearing his jacket again, then its gone for the rest of the episode again. Probably continuity error, but could it be a future version of the doctor?

I thank you!

loved it, sure there are plot holes and what not but it was entertaining for me and thats what I am looking for in a show

my main comment is the Doctor's dancing has ... well .... improved since the episode 'The Doctor Dances'

bring on the christmas special already! seriously 13 episodes just isnt enough, just means time for a re-watch of it all and maybe start watching the previous doctors some more

Really enjoyed that final episode. Few plot holes, but happy to overlook that for all the fun of it.

Won't say too much more until everyones had a watch.

At first in the episode I was worried I'd gotten too used to the Doctor's antics/escapes to carry any more emotional weight but I was completely on-board at the end.

Just a quick spot from Flesh & Stone, when the doctor comes back to say to Amy to remember what he said to her as a child, he is wearing his jacket again, then its gone for the rest of the episode again. Probably continuity error, but could it be a future version of the doctor?

I thank you!

:yes:

Yeah, and I agree with what the lady said in the confidential program afterwards - it makes me laugh that he has made the sacrifice, is slowly being erased from history, and the most important thing on his mind is that he needs to buy a new fez!

Loved it last night. Great writing. And Moffat promised we will find out who River is next year.

That was a reaaaally good finale! Especially since it didn't rely on a massive reveal of an evil villain to carry it in the way the previous ones have. It was all so different.

Hopefully next series can continue in this vein and not have as many 'lower' points. Finding out who River Song is and what The Silence is should make for a great season!

America just got the Vincent episode. It was wonderful. It had GRIFFINS![/dragon age: origins] lol this was possibly the best episode of Who this season. I enjoyed it more than the premiere and I thought that was solid fun. And yes to a Nighy like old Doc. I can totally see it. That has cemented it for me now, I want a return to an old doc for the next incarnation. Also I adored the line in the episode about the Sonic Screwdriver where the Doc basically realizes he relies on it too much. Fantastic.

All in all, not a bad conclusion. I still think the Doctor running around zapping everything in sight with his Sonic was still a bit over the top, but not nearly as bad as “The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood.”

My verdict on Amy is that she is a great companion and I’m really looking forward to more of her. My jury is still out on Rory. I think he’s going to be closer to the Turlough/Adric vein rather than a Jamie/Captain Jack hero. Meh…

I was a little annoyed at how easy it was to actually get the Doctor out of the box, but other than that I really liked it! I like the back and forth of timelines (and usually gets me into paradox arguments with people, lol) and the episode in general actually :) Also good to see the Doctor actually saving the day in a major way, as so often it seems to be the assistants that tip the balance!

Wasn't quite as good as the penultimate episode, but still a good outing!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.