Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Torch, you are in the middle of a very bad story from a pretty bad season. See my comments on Page 37, May 31 regarding the mess that is this Silurian rehash.

This is easily the worst season of the revived series.

i did think the doctors peculiarity was a little over the top this week... but i guess i put that down to his tardis being gone and amy being inside it, and him being kinda stuck..... but i entirely see where you were coming from. he was annoying. and i think this series has been particularly weak...

.....I had fun. But maybe it was just seeing Matt Smith in a towel. The soccer/football/thatthing was a nod to Smith's past. I guess I just don't hold as high a standard for television as I do for movies. Though I did think that his culture confusion was a little odd if not unlikely.

I have greatly enjoyed this season, despite its Earth theme. So shoot me! :whip:

His cultural confusion didn't bother me. He's eccentric to begin with and he basically is in a new cultural setting every other day. For him to be a little out of sorts isn't that big of a deal. It's not like he was crapping on the couch or anything.

The season has been weaker than most because IMO of the fact that they haven't had many actual Sci-Fi stories or Sci-Fi writers. With some good character based stories that have some more exposition to set up Smith and Gillan it could be a lot better.

Having said that how good was Tennant's first season?

New Earth

Tooth and Claw

School Reunion

The Girl in the Fireplace

Cybermen Story 1

Idiots Lantern

Impossible Planet/Satan Pit

Love and Monsters

Fear Her

Cybermen 2 + Daleks

Without the return of the Cybermen and the Girl in the Fireplace it's quite a non-remarkable series of episodes, except that the character was written so that Tennant worked well in the role

I really enjoyed Tennant's first series, IMO it is far above this season... with the exception of this season's premiere which was right on par with the quality of Tennant's first series. I would and have rewatched Tennant's episodes. Other than this season's premiere, so far, I have no desire to ever see the rest of this season's episodes again.

I've finally caught up and can participate

the Tardis scene was quite hilarious. 'Where's the noise? I like the noise' 'It isn't supposed to make that noise, you always leave the brakes on!'

I LOVE THIS SO HARD! I can TOTALLY suspend a sense of disbelief for something this hilarious!

i hate her horrible nail varnish colours.... and she's too tall for my liking.

Good LORD. Man hands? She eats her peas one at a time?

HOW THE HECK DOES THE TOPIC OF MARRIAGE EVEN COME UP PRIOR TO "I LOVE YOU"?!!!!!

My second ex-husband has still never told me how he feels about me, has never said I Love You. It happens.

ALSO: David Tennant and Billie Piper were the most perfect pair and nobody can compare, singularly or together. I have to look at the new pair as relatives of those two or the inadequacies will make me crazy mad. That said, Tennant's acting distracted me a bit from the character and with Matt Smith in charge, I'm able to more clearly see the quirks, especially the method of going off on tangents.

AND ALSO: Catherine Tate's Donna was THE. MOST. HORRID. character EVAR, INFINITY and nobody on the planet can possibly harbor more white-hot, seething anger at her than I. The liquid metal pool of HAY8TE is bottomless and painful.

Other than this season's premiere, so far, I have no desire to ever see the rest of this season's episodes again.

This! (Well, I can stomach Vincent and the Doctor again...)

Catherine Tate's Donna was THE. MOST. HORRID. character EVAR, INFINITY and nobody on the planet can possibly harbor more white-hot, seething anger at her than I. The liquid metal pool of HAY8TE is bottomless and painful.

And for sure this!

Last night, Craig Ferguson & the host from "Web Soup" started talking about Dr. Who. Ferguson actually said his favorite Doctor was Tom Baker, but he has switched to Matt Smith. The other guy said his favorite was David Tennant. Then Craig said he liked Smith because he had a big face. The other guy said, "Yeah, he does look like one of the Easter Island statues." I had to make a visual out of this. It actually works well.

post-25291-093488300 1276917604_thumb.png

The Pandorica Opens:

Not as bad as most of this season, but it still has its faults.

There’s been a trend in the past few years in TV and film, largely cultural I think, that directors think that viewers are stupid and have the attention spans of a gnat. Well, that may be true, but I like to think it’s not with Doc Who viewers. So, why then, does the director constantly have to use flashbacks of something that happened 15 minutes ago?!? Yes, I remember Amy saying she liked the story of “Pandora’s Box” as a child. Yes, I realize that when River picked up a book about Romans, that the Doc and Amy were still in Roman times. Annoying!

Again, still better than most but it is sorely lacking in character development. This is not unique to this season, this has been one of my beefs with the new series all along. But, so far, this episode is better than Part One of The End of Time. But then again, what my cat just left in her litter box was better than TEOT, so that’s not saying much.

Great cliffhanger! So, I’ll wait until the conclusion to make a final judgment.

I thought that it may have been himself in the box, I only realised when the Autons grabbed him what went in the box..

Yes, I realize that when River picked up a book about Romans, that the Doc and Amy were still in Roman times. Annoying!

I think it was more the fact that they were the exact same Romans from the book. Plus a lot of kids watch the show, the 'prods' were probably aimed at them rather than a high end viewer such as yourself.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.