Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

well for the sonic haters, it was touched upon tonight!

good episode, written by richard curtis (blackadder, notting hill, four weddings and a funeral, love actually)

surprisingly touching towards the end

and rather amusing how van gogh's scottish accent is compared to amy's

Amy's Choice was a combination of neat and lame. There were several diagloue exchanges that happened with Amy and Company that just made me groan so bad. The worst offender was the absurdity of Amy, who's one night away from her wedding day, says she has never told Rory she loves him. That is a dumb line and as a result it makes the characters dumb. What lame ass moron proposes and then is a night away from marriage when his girl hasn't said I love you to him?! Also what stupid woman agrees to marriage, in that modern time/unbetrothed circumstances, without telling the man she's marrying that she loves him? HOW THE HECK DOES THE TOPIC OF MARRIAGE EVEN COME UP PRIOR TO "I LOVE YOU"?!!!!!

But with that said, I like the dark Mr.Mxyzptlk version of the Doctor. So was this a new personality quirk or is it a reassertion of something like... what was it now... the Valeyard? The twisted version of the Doc from the distant future or some alternate future or something like that.

Okay, so I'm watching Season Five again after blasting through season one through four.

I'm wondering if they're going to pull a "this is all a dream" at the end of this season. You know how they used birds in Amy's Choice? Well, you can hear birds when the Doctor was waking up after Amy knocked him out in the first episode. Also, in Vamipres at Venice the villian says "dream of us". There are other episodes in which you can hear birds as well.

It could all be coincidence, naturally, but I am suspicious. This is the short version of my reasoning.

Gods, I'm putting too much thought into this. Someone kill me.

Edit: Oh, and I nearly forgot to mention the Dream Lord's reflection at the end of Amy's Choice. There's that too.

Vincent and the Doctor: Not a bad story. I much preferred the second half of the show. This is how stories should be written. I thought the Doctor was incredibly out of character in the beginning; a bit too enthusiastic about joining in on a fight. But, he did come to his senses later in the show.

Am I beating a dead horse with Karen Gillian? I don't care. Her acting and character are the best things going for S5 right now. Seems that the writers and directors are still figuring out what kind of Doctor MS is, which is fine...to a certain extent.

It just seemed that half way through the write on this script someone tapped them ont he shoulder and told them to clean up the mess...and they did wonderfully.

Final conclusion: First half: 0/dud/crap, second half: 10/4 stars/fantastic!

Great episode!

You know, if they ever decide to do an old Doctor gain, Bill Nighy would be great.

I was thinking the same!

Except as the First Doctor.

I liked the character interaction in this one rather than the monster-of-the-week bit. I think it shows dialogue can drive the show.

Great episode!

You know, if they ever decide to do an old Doctor gain, Bill Nighy would be great.

I was thinking the same!

Except as the First Doctor.

That's not a bad idea either. Give him the right wig and clothes, he could easily be hartnell.

Amy's Choice was a combination of neat and lame. There were several diagloue exchanges that happened with Amy and Company that just made me groan so bad. The worst offender was the absurdity of Amy, who's one night away from her wedding day, says she has never told Rory she loves him. That is a dumb line and as a result it makes the characters dumb. What lame ass moron proposes and then is a night away from marriage when his girl hasn't said I love you to him?! Also what stupid woman agrees to marriage, in that modern time/unbetrothed circumstances, without telling the man she's marrying that she loves him? HOW THE HECK DOES THE TOPIC OF MARRIAGE EVEN COME UP PRIOR TO "I LOVE YOU"?!!!!!

I think that she meant she hadn't said it since the whole Doctor appearing and running away with a crazed man the night before her wedding thing happened. Not ever.

I think that she meant she hadn't said it since the whole Doctor appearing and running away with a crazed man the night before her wedding thing happened. Not ever.

That has logic to it and I considered that too. However I feel the scene doesn't really play that way. It seems more like some major regret not just a, "Gee wiz! I didn't say I love you this week." ;)

Haven't seen it yet. Will pay attention when I do.

Also...

My wife and I saw the trailer for the next episode to air on BBC America, yet again it seems Amy is near death or something. Ugh. We're getting so tired of the companion being in fatal danger every episode. It is tiring to see the Doc angry and moaning over Amy's welfare in every damn episode.

The Lodger: Excruciatingly bad story. The writers continue to throw away almost 50 years of history to convenience themselves. This time around, they tell us that this 900 some odd year old being who’s spent centuries on Earth, somehow has forgotten all its customs and how to “act” human and what’s normal and what’s not. To say the least, the rest of the plot was just nonsensical.

There’s been stupid and annoying stories before (The Chase, Fear Her), but this is the first time, in my opinion, that The Doctor himself was stupid and annoying. I really think if we weren’t right next to the finale, I’d be quitting this season.

Oh yeah, and they were on Earth AGAIN!

I'm watching the Earth Eater episode now... it's more interesting than all episodes but for the premiere so far. Nice. However I am hating one thing so much... the Doctor is weaker than a 50+ year old female scientist. This female scientist pulled an overweight grown, old man out of the consuming Earth but good old Doctor 11 couldn't even lift little Amy out of the ground under the same exact conditions. Lame.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.