Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

That's weird. I have to see it for myself to give my opinion on it.

i did like "Amy's Choice". I thought it was a well written episode. Sure, you could see the ending coming, but it did flesh out the characters a little more.

Vampires in Venice just aired in America. Wow. That was ****. Possibly the worst modern Who episode I've seen... right up there with part one of End of Time.

Now Americans have to wait two weeks before another "new" episode airs. This blows.

Afterthought: One of the worst things about Vampires is that it made Amy seem like a retread character to me. Obviously she's already an amalgam of modern Who companions, but this episode felt like Doc 9 with Rose and Mickey.

Torch, what are your thoughts about the sonic screwdriver unable to open a trapdoor?

Related LOL, this episode:

The Doctor: It [ the sonic screwdriver ] doesn't do wood.

Rory: That is rubbish.

The Doctor: Don't dis the sonic!

I've always been able to shrug away what the Sonic Screwdriver can or can't do, however I must admit that in Vampires my buttons were pushed. Not so much that I wanted to throw my hands up and rant, but I definitely rolled my eyes.

The rest of the episode (even including editing) pushed my buttons a lot more. Granted I watched this on BBC America and they are notorious for hacking shows up, so maybe that could be factor here.

The Hungry Earth: Is anyone even trying anymore? We've been down this road so many times and it's just getting to be boring now. Plot: land somewhere on Earth, encounter menace, Doctor is frantic while playing superhero and plays with his Sonic Screwdriver. Next story: the same, just change the menace and guest names. Do these guys even know who and what the Doctor was pre RTD?

This episode is bad, so so very bad for so many reasons...

I actually kind of agree. To be fair, its the first time I felt it this season. The other monster-of-the-week episodes were clever, but this one feels very very old hat-- certainly not worth the weight of a two-parter.

So I'm jumping onto this bandwagon late. I was exceptionally bored last week and BBC was running a marathon of all the new season five episodes, so I sat down and watched them to understand the hype.

Okay, fine, I love it too.

I watched all of this season's epis (veoh is your friend if you want to be the two epis ahead) and I'm going to go back and watch previous seasons. I like Matt Smith, he's very over-the-top and he takes the drama way to far, but in a fun way that doesn't take itself seriously.

I did wonder about the vampire episode, though. I felt like they were trying to drag in the Twilight freaks. I guess it felt unnecessary.

(I need sleep. My typing is degrading quickly.)

I liked hungry earth... but i agree that it isn't worth a two parter. I kinda hoped that he'd go down and solve it really quickly and then the next episode would be somewhere else entirely. I do however think that getting rid of amy and her fella in exchange for the kid that can't read would be an AWSOME assistant trade!

I do however think that getting rid of amy and her fella in exchange for the kid that can't read would be an AWSOME assistant trade!

Are you friggin out of your mind?!? Karen Gillan is the only reason I'm still on board. Replacing her with an annoying brat would push me away from this incarnation until Number 12, I swear!

The problem is..... the only reason she's any good is cos she's hot..... i'm not a fan of her acting ability at all.... and i hate her horrible nail varnish colours.... and she's too tall for my liking. I dunno why... but the assisstants should be shorter than the doctor. FACT.

OK, I think I’ve figured out what I find most annoying in the new series, and that’s the Sonic Screwdriver! We’re seeing what the producers were afraid of in the 70s when they mandated a no Sonic Screwdriver policy, and that’s laziness. We’re seeing very little of The Doctor’s intellect and just him running about like a crazed madman zapping everything.

The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood was just a very poor retelling of "Doctor Who and The Silurians." Also, the makeup/creature department is becoming vanilla too. These Silurians were nothing more than green versions of those annoying aliens in The End of Time. Doctor Who’s aliens are starting to fall prey to the Star Trek syndrome of alien bipeds with human facial features and just different coloring and ridges here and there.

So, I’m not blaming MS at all for his characterization, but there is a clear laziness and lack of originality that’s becoming more and more apparent on the writers and directors part. As far as Karen Gillian, and I may be biased, but she is the only one I found remotely interesting in these two episodes and Amy seems to be the only multidimensional character.

Please Mr. Moffat and directors, get off Earth, put away the Sonic Screwdriver, put away the RTD playbook, watch a few Doc 1-3 storylines, keep Karen Gillian, and report back to me in Season 6.

Good news for Gman, i think that what happened to rory has left Amy nothing to go back for... meaning that she's likely to stay for a long time. Which is good. I know i don't like her, but i got pretty fed up of the assistants changing every series.

I agree entirely with the sonic screwdriver thing, but it didn't annoy me too much.

I don't like this whole 'deleted from time' thing.. i think it's far to easy a way of getting rid of things without any consequences... and consequences are good!!!

The problem is..... the only reason she's any good is cos she's hot..... i'm not a fan of her acting ability at all.... and i hate her horrible nail varnish colours.... and she's too tall for my liking. I dunno why... but the assisstants should be shorter than the doctor. FACT.

A hint of jealously in there??

And I'm enjoying having Rory along.

Well, bollocks.

(That's how it's said, right?)

Yes that is how it is said. And thats exactly how I felt. Also how about:

A burnt TARDIS fragment being inside the crack.

Also I think now we'll see the guilt coming out of the Doctor for what happened. Especially with the way Amy just blanked it all out. Not good.

OK, I think I’ve figured out what I find most annoying in the new series, and that’s the Sonic Screwdriver! We’re seeing what the producers were afraid of in the 70s when they mandated a no Sonic Screwdriver policy, and that’s laziness. We’re seeing very little of The Doctor’s intellect and just him running about like a crazed madman zapping everything.

The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood was just a very poor retelling of "Doctor Who and The Silurians." Also, the makeup/creature department is becoming vanilla too. These Silurians were nothing more than green versions of those annoying aliens in The End of Time. Doctor Who’s aliens are starting to fall prey to the Star Trek syndrome of alien bipeds with human facial features and just different coloring and ridges here and there.

So, I’m not blaming MS at all for his characterization, but there is a clear laziness and lack of originality that’s becoming more and more apparent on the writers and directors part. As far as Karen Gillian, and I may be biased, but she is the only one I found remotely interesting in these two episodes and Amy seems to be the only multidimensional character.

Please Mr. Moffat and directors, get off Earth, put away the Sonic Screwdriver, put away the RTD playbook, watch a few Doc 1-3 storylines, keep Karen Gillian, and report back to me in Season 6.

I completely agree. Matt Smith could easily turn this incarnation into a very different doctor but the reliance on the Sonic is just getting stupid. Karen and Matt have great chemistry but it is just really being dulled by silly storylines. I think next weeks could be quite good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.