Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Yeah, I need Pong to speak on some authority with his musical ear-- but did they change the key it was in or something? It doesn't just sound BAD, it sounds WRONG. And Ryn is right-- there's better fan CGI jobs than this one. Is there a law with BBC funding that they can't spend more than 3 pounds on FX?

It doesn't just sound BAD, it sounds WRONG.

I thought the same. I liked the one that started with season two the best. It just had this bombastic retro sixties sci-fi sound. The current one just sounds...lacking in some way.

The intro aside, I am quickly getting to like the new guy. He's less annoying than I originally thought he'd be and Amy Pond is definitely my favorite of the companions already.

Giant coloured Daleks!

This story was pretty crappy IMO but it's pretty much just a stepping stone towards future stories I think. Amy not remembering the Daleks for example is leading to the season arc. Churchill was quite good though!

Watching Doctor Who Confidential it seems that we have different classes of Daleks now: Supreme, Drone, Scientist, Strategist and 'Eternal'. Not even Moffat knows what the Eternal does yet but it doesn't bode well for the Doctor.

I haven't seen it yet, my wife wants to wait for the airing on BBC America HD. She is becoming annoyed with the artifacts that are being produced with me stretching the download streams to fit our TV. Not that the streams I've gotten off of zshare are horrible, pretty damn good I think anyway. She loves DW as much as me and so we'll see how long she can hold out because waiting for it to air on BBC America means we have to wait AT LEAST three weeks (as the first episode doesn't air until tonight over here).

But anyway...

I love the Spitfires? in Space thing that the trailer shows!!!

Afterthought: Wallpapers I've found. Amy fans will like her one... not that it's sqeezy.

http://combom.doctorwhonews.info/pictures/Amy.jpg

http://combom.doctorwhonews.info/pictures/11.jpg

http://vftwo.com/calvsblog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/vortexlarge.jpg

Giant coloured Daleks!

Dalek Rangers!

I don't mind tweaking the design but this one goes too far too fast. And Daleks as arch-villians kind of bores me. Though I can change my opinion if Moffat & Co. give us some fantastic payoff.

Still, nice callback to the Cushing Daleks.

Well, not bad. I still think Matt is creepy looking, but I think he's going to be a pretty fun Doctor. The TARDIS interior I'm not too sure about, and that intro music is rubbish. I guess the best part was the dynamic between Amy and The Doctor. They have great chemistry. I didn't think I'd say this, but I am looking forward to the upcoming series.

P.S. I SO want Amy's hair!!! The legs would be a bonus, but I don't think mine would stretch that far. I'll settle for the hair ;)

Thoughts after “Victory of the Daleks:”

Opening still sucks all kinds of balls.

Yes, the Dalek storyline is getting a bit played out. “We’re the last of the Daleks, no WE’RE the last of them, nope still some more last of the Daleks…”

Matt Smith is still doing a marvelous job of playing David Tenant with annoying hand movements. Sorry guys and gals, but like Christopher Eccleston before him, I’m just having a hard time believing that he once occupied the same body as William Hartnell and Jon Pertwee. Whereas I could easily trust and believe that David Tenant was once William Hartnell and Tom Baker. I’m trying, though. I really am!

Did it seem to everyone else that Karen Gillian had an American accent for most this story? Regardless, I’m now officially declaring that if she lasts at least three consistent seasons, she will be THE companion, displacing Elisabeth Sladen and her crown.

UK Legend, about the sound: Do you have surround sound by any chance? Before I got my setup, I was noticing TONS of shows and movies where dialog was always drowned out. It seems that modern sound recording is forcing 5.1 on consumers. Once I integrated 5.1 in my living room, I no longer had the problem you’re describing and I was experiencing.

See, I've ALWAYS had a problem buying the younger Docs as William Hartnell. I could see Eccelson as McGann or Baker. I could easily see Tennant as Davidson or either Baker. But Smith has so many dottering old man quirks I can actually see him as one of the original 3 Docs. Combined with Tennant's youth, I rather like his portrayal.

Oh, but Peter Davison had SO many William Hartnell qualities, as did Pertwee, Troughton, and C. Baker. So, the fact that the others were natural successions to these incarnations make it a bit more believable. I can kinda see your point about Smith having some quirks. Maybe I can get past the whole hand thing if I take that into account. What else are you referring to?

Oh yeah, two things I forgot to mention about these early episodes:

1) Get off Earth! I thought Moffat was going to get away from RTD’s penchant for Earthbound stories. Yeesh, for having a machine that can go anywhere in time and space, Doctor 9 forward sure seems to like England, Earth in the middle 2000s. With the exception of Doc 3, modern era Earth was minimally seen in the original series.

2) I LIKE the fact that this regeneration didn’t seem to have any problems associated with it. I can’t blame Doc 10 for “not wanting to go” since Docs 5, 6, 7, 8, AND 10 had problems with the regeneration. I’d be nervous about the process too. That storyline is played out. Hopefully, Docs 12 and 13 will have smooth transitions too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.