Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

I picked up on the crack/oscillator similarities the moment the oscillator came on screen, but then I was really batting around the concept of the crack at that moment and only half paying attention to the fun end... so when the oscillator was highlighted I was like "Whoop there it is! Say it louder."

Really interested to see where this all goes. Matt was neat. Karen was neat. Matt still needs a make over, hopefully next season. But right now I'm in and happy, this could be good.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but seeing McGann in that montage and hearing the cloister bells in the TARDIS canonized the 8th Doctor didn't it? I mean, I know it's widely accepted as canon, but isn't this the first time we've actually seen it referenced in the show?

His faced was sketched in the Doctor's notebook as John Smith in "Human Nature":

forgot about that! also forgot to mention The Doctor raiding hospital lockers for his wardrobe.

The angry Doctor thing is getting stale to me now. We've had a lot of it since 2005 and then Tennant's final stories all went along that route too. I would prefer that this Doc have more fun, and while I want to see him throw his weight around and lay the law down (as that is an essential part of the character) I think it'd be fresher if he did it so matter of factly and with a real sense of adventure rather than just fueled with passion or grief. Tennant and Ecc both captured a nice bit of that type of fun feel before Tennant's last season+ flipped the Doctor into a manic depressive sod. And I say that with loving Tennat's Doc. So anyway, here's hoping 11's angry doc captures more of that adventurous feel. I'm pretty hopeful as I adored how 11 used the "talk softly and carry a big stick" approach with the Space Eyeballs in the first episode.

Man, I can't wait for this to air in the US. The first episode isn't even due until the 17! I'm so hooked right now that I'm sitting here waiting for CastTV or Zshare to update with a download for this week's episode.

I know I've slagged off this series a lot since it was re-launched, and today I sat down and watched an episode with the new Doctor (where there is a society living on a Star Whale like parasites).

I didn't see it from the start but I have to say, I really really like the new guy playing him

I think he is 100 x better than Tennant. He has some of the mannerisms, but he is so much more convincing and natural about it.

I even liked the trailer for the next episode, WW2 and Winston Churchill.

I'm going to give this series a go now.

Yeah, it's a good run thus far. Another good ep. Watching this Doctor feels natural. Everyone freaking out before seeing it all in action is proved completely unfounded.

I must be getting nostalgic. Any mysterious femme in scarlet robes makes me anticipate the Rani.

I thought it was a good episode (though I missed the beginning as well - stupid BBC and their random scheduling!). It *felt* very Moffat, but not necessarily in a Doctor Who sense, and I can't quite put my finger on why. Eleven was less Tennant-y, which was a good thing. I hope he's able to carve out his own distinctive character. What they did at the end leading it into the next episode I loved because it reminds me of the old serials :)

Looks like the shape of the crack is going to be important then - that makes three appearances in two episodes (that I know of anyway)

Episode two was good! A rather different take on things than we have seen before.

The smily things were quite creepy. This one definitely re-affirmed The Doctor's faith in Amy. He got angry when he thought she had tried to stop him from saving the alien.

Next weeks could be very interesting, as long as the Daleks aren't overused this season it will be good.

Moffat's writing far outshines anything that RTD did for about four seasons

The episode itself was decent-- the usual toss-off space stuff. Enjoyed it, but not Earth shattering. That said, I REALLY like Matt Smith. He's great!

"Why'd ya do that?"

"Hmm? Oh, I don't know. I think a lot, it's hard to keep up."

So, why did Steven Moffat rip off some of Star Wars more iconic moments. These include, help us, youre our only hope, getting stuck in a trash compactor, getting stuck inside…something…only to find out its a stomach (or tongue, whatever..). I agree with UK Legend, though. Hes heads and tails above RTD in style and subtance

Matt Smith. OK, so hes a good actor, but why the autistic hand movements? Is that by design, by direction, something he came up with to incorporate his own unique Doctor mannerisms? Whatever the reason, its annoying and distracting! And, I HATE HATE HATE his Geronimo! catchphrase.

Karen Gillian continues to shine as Amy! Her acting, character storyline, and looks all make her a potential to overcome Sarah Jane as the number one companion…if she lasts for at least three seasons.

I also hate GERONIMO-- but I like the hand thing.

And Amy... just.. yeah, there is something about this girl that is magical. Stunningly pretty, great actor, funny... both as an actress and her direction as a companion is really aces.

Yeah Geronimo is pretty **** but all the other stuff is good. Including the hands

The way he talks sometimes as if it's more for his benefit than it is for Amy's (I'm going to go and stay out of trouble....badly) is also good. He is definitely his own Doctor already.

Something that does piss me off is the music. WHY MUST IT BE SO LOUD ALL THE TIME? I could hardly hear what was being said in the mouth-thing and missed some good dialogue.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.