Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

The supporting characters who pop now and again are just the worst kind of actors you get on TV who come from soaps (one in particular was in Coronation Street), who should never be allowed back on TV again period. going for younger actors these days.

Now this is interesting. Taking the performers behind the companions (full time or occasional) case by case, how do you think they handled their roles?

I've got my doubts about Abrams Star Trek reboot, or whatever it is, but I'm sure it will have higher production values than anything the BBC can pull off, regardless of budget.

Abrams isn't the only talent behind Lost, they have various writers and directors involved. The point I'm trying to make is the people behind shows such as Lost and Galactica are so far advanced in terms of artistic skill, creativity and technical skill than the BBC. If these people got a hold of the Dr Who franchise I think we would have something that would totally blow away any previous or current versions.

Not sure what you mean by 'Taking the performers behind the companions'. If your talking about Billie Piper, Kylie Minogue or any of the other characters he's met along the way including the poor mans Tom Cruise actor from Canada, then in my opinion they where total utter garbage as both characters and actors.

For me, watching Dr Who is like watching old shows they used to play on Childrens BBC back in the 80's. If they shot it in a way that was more cinematic and real looking with better lighting, and not like a sub standard soap opera, it would make a huge difference.

I've got my doubts about Abrams Star Trek reboot, or whatever it is, but I'm sure it will have higher production values than anything the BBC can pull off, regardless of budget.

Abrams isn't the only talent behind Lost, they have various writers and directors involved. The point I'm trying to make is the people behind shows such as Lost and Galactica are so far advanced in terms of artistic skill, creativity and technical skill than the BBC. If these people got a hold of the Dr Who franchise I think we would have something that would totally blow away any previous or current versions.

Not sure what you mean by 'Taking the performers behind the companions'. If your talking about Billie Piper, Kylie Minogue or any of the other characters he's met along the way including the poor mans Tom Cruise actor from Canada, then in my opinion they where total utter garbage as both characters and actors.

For me, watching Dr Who is like watching old shows they used to play on Childrens BBC back in the 80's. If they shot it in a way that was more cinematic and real looking with better lighting, and not like a sub standard soap opera, it would make a huge difference.

Well, it's pretty clear where you stand!

The point I'm trying to make is the people behind shows such as Lost and Galactica are so far advanced in terms of artistic skill, creativity and technical skill than the BBC. If these people got a hold of the Dr Who franchise I think we would have something that would totally blow away any previous or current versions.

Hm. So do you believe the current series' sort of large fanbase is due to the series being the only Who game in town? If so, I would think the new series has some appeal, otherwise fans (well..some of them) would find it as easy to to abandon this version as fans did during the Colin Baker run.

If your talking about Billie Piper, Kylie Minogue or any of the other characters he's met along the way including the poor mans Tom Cruise actor from Canada, then in my opinion they where total utter garbage as both characters and actors.

..that includes Freema Agyeman, Catherine Tate and Noel Clarke?

Hm. So do you believe the current series' sort of large fanbase is due to the series being the only Who game in town? If so, I would think the new series has some appeal, otherwise fans (well..some of them) would find it as easy to to abandon this version as fans did during the Colin Baker run.

I think the current fanbase is made up mostly of people who like cheap sci fi as a whole (this week it's our favourites...Daleks, Cybermen etc..). I don't think many of these fans want to be challenged intellectually, they just want to see their hero triumph over the bad guys. I also seriously doubt many of the fans have probably ever even read an intellectualy stimulating and thought provoking sci fi novel.

I don't think a large percentage of the fans are capable of appreciating the genre in the way others do. I don't think many Dr Who fans have the patience to sit through a whole season of a show that doesn't provide all the answers by the end of each episode.

I say this because many of the people I meet say they love the new Dr Who, and they don't like the old ones. Some of these are girls / women, and women in general don't like sci fi, thats not being sexist, thats a fact. I've also noticed that they've never watched a single episode of Galactica.

This series isn't just aimed at the lowest common denominator, it's aimed at kids, and even young girls now, thats why they threw in Billie Piper and Kylie Minogue....it has nothing to do with their acting talent. Did I just say Billie Piper and Kylie Minogue have acting talent ? lol.

I think the current fanbase is made up mostly of people who like cheap sci fi as a whole (this week it's our favourites...Daleks, Cybermen etc..). I don't think many of these fans want to be challenged intellectually, they just want to see their hero triumph over the bad guys. I also seriously doubt many of the fans have probably ever even read an intellectualy stimulating and thought provoking sci fi novel.

I don't think a large percentage of the fans are capable of appreciating the genre in the way others do. I don't think many Dr Who fans have the patience to sit through a whole season of a show that doesn't provide all the answers by the end of each episode.

I say this because many of the people I meet say they love the new Dr Who, and they don't like the old ones. Some of these are girls / women, and women in general don't like sci fi, thats not being sexist, thats a fact. I've also noticed that they've never watched a single episode of Galactica.

This series isn't just aimed at the lowest common denominator, it's aimed at kids, and even young girls now, thats why they threw in Billie Piper and Kylie Minogue....it has nothing to do with their acting talent. Did I just say Billie Piper and Kylie Minogue have acting talent ? lol.

Your are really really condesending and Sci-fi elitist aren't you.

Just because somebody hasn't watched an episode of BSG they can't comment on Sci-fi? What a load of rubbish

Your are really really condesending and Sci-fi elitist aren't you.

Just because somebody hasn't watched an episode of BSG they can't comment on Sci-fi? What a load of rubbish

I'm not being condescending, I'm giving you an honest opinion of what I think the majority of Dr Who fans are probably like.

I love Star Wars, I've loved it since I was a kid, it had a fundamental impact on me growing up and probably steered me towards more of the heavier sci fi stuff. Star Wars is also aimed at the kiddies, and the lowest common denominator, but it's done so well. Dr Who isn't.

You only have to consider the demographics when you think about the target audience for any film or TV show. Thats probably why Dr Who is played early evening or during the day and not at night.

I'm not saying all Dr Who fans are like this, many have probably read more sci fi novels than me. But you only have to talk to someone on the street who likes the new show for 5 miutes to figure out they arn't really into the Sci Fi genre, they just like Dr Who, because it's such an easy storyline to follow.

Whats this about 'Just because somebody hasn't watched an episode of BSG they can't comment on Sci-fi? What a load of rubbish'

Where did I say that ?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep - I'm with you there. At least it's only 6 days until the next special. They have been very quiet about the storylines, but I'm sure there will be a theme going through all 4 of these specials up to the regeneration.

One good thing is that Michelle Ryan is in Saturday's episode. Lovely! :yes:

Trailer on the official site is below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/misc/media/

Woo hoo tonites the nite baby!! Planet of the Dead!! Of course I will have to wait a day before I can view it, but I am totally stoked.

On a side note, I wish Tennant would stick around for one more season. I have no problem with him leaving or the casting of Matt Smith as the Doctor. I am actually very excited about it. My reasoning is, a David Tennant/Steven Moffat combo is very appealing to me.

Sadly that story (The Waters of Mars) is scheduled for November at the moment, but may be brought forward slightly. It's already been filmed. Too long a wait....

After that, there is just the 2 part finale for the 10th Doctor over the Xmas period and that's 2009 done for the Doc.

Last nights was ok - nothing out of the ordinary. Liked the fly-type humanoid aliens, the Tritovore. Big hints at the end of the episode that the Doctor's time is dwindling....

*Yawn* I'm with the others as far as RTD is concerned. I respect the guy for bringing back my Doc, but I'm generally not a fan of his single stories. UNIT's Scientific Advisor was pretty good, hated the temporary companion, Lady Jenny wanna be smart ass.

I think this is the first RTD story to not feature a interracial and/or same sex couple. That in your face pattern got real old real fast.

And I REALLY hope the post adventure smooch is not a hint of things to come with Twilight Matt Smith (yes, I'm still Black Raging over his casting).

Sub par story, at best.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone care?

I'm looking forward to the new Doctor Twilight, I guess...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/news/latest/090529_news_01

The waiting is over! The BBC today revealed that the companion for the next series of Doctor Who will be Karen Gillan. 21 year old Gillan will star alongside new Doctor Matt Smith when the TARDIS returns to BBC One in spring 2010.

Head writer and Executive Producer Steven Moffat declared, 'We saw some amazing actresses for this part, but when Karen came through the door the game was up. Funny, and clever, and gorgeous, and sexy. Or Scottish, which is the quick way of saying it. A generation of little girls will want to be her. And a generation of little boys will want them to be her too.'

Executive Producer and Head of Drama BBC Wales Piers Wenger said, 'We knew Karen was perfect for the role the moment we saw her. She brought an energy and excitement to the part that was just fantastic. And when she auditioned alongside Matt we knew we had something special.'

Karen Gillan follows in the footsteps of former companions including Billie Piper, Freema Agyeman and Catherine Tate who all won millions of fans and showed that the role remains one of the biggest in television. But Piers Wenger is raring to go with Matt Smith and the Doctor's fantastic new companion, declaring, 'It is a partnership that is ready to take on the Universe!'

• 1 month later...

You know what helps me with the accepting of Matt Smith? I have to pretend that I am a companion of the Doctor and whatever he becomes is what I get. It makes it a little easier to cope with. I hope he really is able to deliver.

Just saw the new "Waters of Mars" trailer. Looks much better than "Planet of the Dead".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.