Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Eddie Izzard has been referenced/rumored several times since production began with Eccleston years ago. Obviously if cast Eddie wouldn't be doing his stand up act, I might be able to accept him as his less stand-upized roles have worked, however his level of fame and contract price probably is too high.

Alan Davies has also been referenced/rumor several times for Doctor Who. Unlike Izzard's fame Davies' baggage is a lot less, at least for the average American viewer, accepting him in the role might be easier and I'd wager definately cheaper. Davies' biggest upside, jokingly, is that his hair has always reminded me of Tom Baker's. lol

As to the names listed in Tank's link...

Paterson Joseph has already appeared in the relaunched Doctor Who, he was Roderick in Eccleston's Bad Wolf and The Parting of the Ways. This however does not necessarily disqualify him.

David Morrisey I don't know anything about.

James Nesbitt I recognize, but he's never played a role that would leave me to believe he could be the Doctor. Not shutting the door on the possibility though, even Graham Norton helped push this casting rumor.

John Simm is the Master, I think that disqualifies him right there.

Afterthought:

As for Tank's suggestions...

Kevin McKidd could work. However there might be scheduling difficulties as he's supposedly cast as Don Blake in a Thor film with Marvel Comics.

Bill Nighy's age, fame and price tag I imagine would disqualify him. He could make a great recasting of the original Doctor though, if they wanted to do a story where the modern Doctor interacts with him. Nighy has a passable resemblance to William Hartnel, at least a slightly younger one.

Eddie Izzard has been referenced/rumored several times since production began with Eccleston years ago. Obviously if cast Eddie wouldn't be doing his stand up act, I might be able to accept him as his less stand-upized roles have worked, however his level of fame and contract price probably is too high.

Bill Nighy's age, fame and price tag I imagine would disqualify him. He could make a great recasting of the original Doctor though, if they wanted to do a story where the modern Doctor interacts with him. Nighy has a passable resemblance to William Hartnel, at least a slightly younger one.

Izzard would be cool-- but he's currently got a TV show here in the US, the Riches.

Nighy OR McKidd could play Hartnell's Doctor, at different ages.

I think I posted a few pages back that if they run out of regenerations, they could do a prequel thing given how old Hartnell was when he started. He was already visibly enderly and chronologically several hundred years old. There's a LOT of wiggle room.

I knda like the idea of Tilda Swinton as The Doctor.

When they reach the limit on regenerations they should just go all the way and have a different actor play the character once every two or three episodes. Shove in whatever silly explanation you like --- he gets the accumulated lifespan of all the dead Time Lords or something like that.

I might be able to accept Tilda Swinton as the Doctor, but my intial reaction is I'd prefer a different actress if they were to go the female Doctor route.

I feel bad for totally disregarding Daniel Radcliffe from consideration, type casting will be a major headache for him, but I just can't see it... he's much too young.

If I had to peg some huge name for the role of the Doctor I'd cast Ewan McGregor. Sure he's Obi-Wan, but I think he could seriously bring some eccentric fun to his performance of the Doctor, it'd be a very different persona than his Obi-Wan and the lack of a beard would also help distinguish the roles. Of course the price it'd take to get him, even if he's interested, would be exorbitant. Then again Ewan has done two reality shows with his Long Way Round and Long Way Down (both are solid entertainment btw, check them out)... but then again those two shows were basically paid dream vacations for him. lol

Snipped from two of Tank's replies:

Izzard would be cool-- but he's currently got a TV show here in the US, the Riches.

Nighy OR McKidd could play Hartnell's Doctor, at different ages.

I think I posted a few pages back that if they run out of regenerations, they could do a prequel thing given how old Hartnell was when he started. He was already visibly enderly and chronologically several hundred years old. There's a LOT of wiggle room.

I forgot about the Riches. That would seriously complicate things with any courting of Izzard for The Doctor.

You are totally right about McKidd being passable for a much younger version of Hartnell and a series based around the younger adventures of the 1st Doctor is a very cool idea. I :heart: it a lot.

Two bits--

Moffatt thinks a young flashy Doctor is tired now, and wants to go back to an older, weirder Doctor.

We might find out as soon as next week who the replacement is!

Can't wait to find out who will replace David Tennant as the star of Doctor Who, the British time-travel action-comedy? You may not have to. British TV's favorite uncle, Terry Wogan, hinted the new Doctor may be announced during next Friday's "Children In Need" charity special. Meanwhile, new showrunner Steven Moffat has weighed in on the change of lead actor, saying he thinks the next Doctor should be over forty and "weird-looking."

Says Moffat,

Although I loved Peter Davison and Paul McGann, probably the best two actors in the role, I don’t think young, dashing Doctors are right at all... He should be 40-plus and weird-looking — the kind of wacky grandfather kids know on sight to be secretly one of them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.