Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Just left the panel at Comic-Con. I'm very confident that the show is in good hands.

They showed a longer promo for the Christmas episode. The rumor bears out that the words "The Return" refer not to the Cybermen but rather to the woman in red shown just after those words. She is featured far more prominently. So. . . The Rani?

Oh, and during the Q&A one person had attended a Neil Gaiman reading. Gaiman had mentioned/hinted at/wished to write with Moffat. Moffat didn't dismiss the opportunity. (I can't recall exactly how it was phrased. Sorry.)

I ******* HATE THE SCI-FI CHANNEL!

Last week, they show the Doctor regenerating during the preview of this week’s episode and after tonight’s, instead of just the “To be continued,” they show Doctor Ten running around being the Doctor.

Combine this with the horrible edits they have done (still no word on the length of the finale), I truly hope Doctor Who finds a new home in time for the 2010 series.

It’s quite obvious that those in charge of the programming have no respect for this show. I’ll say it again, I hate the Sci-fi channel!

I hate 2 admit it, but I was crying like a baby at the end of the show. I thought Tennant was a goner, and I was not happy about it. I was happy to see he will make it, but pissed they blew nxt week's epi for me.

Glad I wasn't the only one cheesed about that. That's what I like about BBCAmerica showing Who. They may edit the heck out of it, but they don't spoil the following episode for ya. Ho well.

Oh man - gutted for you guys. That was a massive cliffhanger and there was literally no hint on what was happening the next week. The press had not had any preview copies, and even "The Stolen Earth" episode that you have just watched, stopped on the press copies before the regeneration started.

It was a downer already knowing, but I was still able to enjoy the epi. I can understand why they made

Doctor Two
It gives the
Rose/Doctor shippers
what they want, and gives the writers a reason not to ever drag that character back again. It seemed like a family reunion episode, but it did have it's good points

Pros

1. The effects are still a lil' cheese, but they are improving

2. Mickey kissing his gun, loved it

3. Rose and the Doc recognizing Gwen. Thought that was a nice touch

4. Tosh lending a hand from beyond the grave

5. Davros. Never had seen him in previous incarnations, but I found him quite effective if not a bit underused

6. Daleks speaking German!!!!

7. The Doctor as Donna and Donna as the Doctor. Oy!

8. Knocking Daleks on their a**es

9. Donna all over Cpt Jack. He is a hottie, isn't he?

And last but not least.....

The brilliant performances from Tennant, Tate, and Bernard Cribbins as grandpa Wilf. I loved that character, and I'm gonna miss him terribly!!!

Cons

1. The Rose storyline. Didn't seem it necessary except to wrap her story arc and bring Mickey back.

2. Osterhagen (sp?) key bit. Again, was it needed?

3. Towing the Earth home? Ugh

4. Everyone steering the TRADIS? Kinda lame, especially when Martha looked right into the camera

5. Daleks ONCE AGAIN part of the finale

6. The regeneration bit. I know why they did it, but still a cop-out

And the worst part of all.....

The end of Donna's storyline. She and Tennant played it beautifully, but I still didn't think it was fair. All her adventures, everything she did for the Doctor and for the universe, and she'll never know. I'd rather have seen her die happy as a hero with the Doc than see her back to her ordinary life. She has been my favorite companion so far (and I thought I was gona hate her LoL), and I thought she deserved better.

I've probably left out alot, but that's what's on my lil' mind at the mo.

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Donna. After all, Rose was on another world TRAPPED OMG FOREVER NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN. and yet there she was. In the world of sci-fi there's always a way.

There's a way...but even sci-fi can stretch things to silly or unnecessary levels. For the sake preserving Donna's effective, dramatic arc, the PTB should leave well enough alone...or at most, have the Doctor learn (in a passing comment or whatever) Donna moved on with her life in a positive way, but please, no second acts.

Oh, and though it was great to see what could be called...The Justice League of Gallifrey (technically, only one is from the planet, but...) no more big team-ups for at least another 4 series.

Its funny. I know a lot of Rose fans, but if I had to rank my favorite companions, Donna and Martha are sort of tied for 1st place, with Rose coming in a somewhat distant second; Donna & Martha were just more earthy and insightful without the sweeping, dominant romantic plots of Rose, Mickey and the Doctor....it was well written here and there (ex. The Age of Steel, Boom Town, etc.) but i'm glad the Rose Book of Romance is closed.

..and regarding Billie Piper's comment (paraphrasing) that we may not have seen the last of Rose? Please. No more.

Now, if Donna can't handle being a Time Lord where's that leave Ace?

Are you talking about the audio drama Death Comes to Time? If so, from what i've heard, Ace did not go through some drastic "upgrade" of the mind with Time Lord knowlegde never meant for humans as in Donna's case.

• 2 months later...
Anyone have anything new? (But the show starts again with the Christmas Special, right?)

I'm going through withdrawals.

Aside from the Christmas special, we will have to go cold turkey until Tennant's return (from stage) in 2010. There was a rumor about another special or two for '09, but I have not read anything confirming it.

I just hope the next series will be worth the wait (meaning no more Rose or Jackie, damn it!!).

Anyone have anything new? (But the show starts again with the Christmas Special, right?)

I'm going through withdrawals.

Aside from the Christmas special, we will have to go cold turkey until Tennant's return (from stage) in 2010. There was a rumor about another special or two for '09, but I have not read anything confirming it.

I just hope the next series will be worth the wait (meaning no more Rose or Jackie, damn it!!).

There are to be four specials, the first of which is Chistmas 2008, and I think the others are at various points in 2009.

• 3 weeks later...

It's official-- Tennant is out!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7698539.stm

I won't lie-- I'm bummed. I think the guy is awesome, and is by far my favorite Doctor.

But that said-- I ALWAYS feel this way. I was super bummed when Eccelson left, and didn't know Tennant from Adam when he started and was prepared to dislike him. He won me over, just like the rest did.

He's on for the four specials next year, meaning he's leaving the same time Russell Davies is. With all his storylines tied up, that really gives Mr. Moffat a blank slate to work with, which should be cool.

No idea if the "next Doctor" is actually the Doctor Moffat will use, or if he is meant to be further down the line.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.