Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

A neat conclusion. This ranks as my second favourite two-parter.

It'd be interesting to hear how this one was written. I get the feeling (no idea why) that they came up with the need to keep River Song alive and then backtracked from there to integrate the plot device into the story. Except it was done so well that it's almost seamless.

The bit with the Vasco Da Gama was a little lame, though. The Doctor basically bluffs his way into a truce ten minutes before the end and then they never mention 'em again? Pfft.

The Doctor’s Daughter:

I’ve mentioned this before in this thread and this episode reiterates my point, the new season stories are WAY too fast. So much could have been done with character development and clearing up some questions that may have gotten lost (kudos to the official forum for some of these questions):

1) Why was the Doctor cloned and not Donna or Martha?

2) If they could make one clone they could make more?

3) How fast do the clones age? Why do some appear old after being around for only a few days? How are they born with the knowledge and experience to match their age?

4) What was that the Hath had on their faces that looks like a glass of green bubbly water?

I just finished watching the newly released Sea Devils on DVD and the differences in story development between the old and new series are becoming more and more glaring to me. The development of the (bad guy) Colonel Trenchard and (good guy) Captain Hart for just one story was amazing and very well done and is typical of the old series.

So, yes I like the new series and all. It has the effects and the music (which can be a bit overbearing at times), but I’m beginning to think that the story styles are becoming my number one peeve about the new show.

Bottom line, I really do hope Stephen Moffat slows things down when he takes over the show.

The Doctor’s Daughter:

I’ve mentioned this before in this thread and this episode reiterates my point, the new season stories are WAY too fast. So much could have been done with character development and clearing up some questions that may have gotten lost (kudos to the official forum for some of these questions):

1) Why was the Doctor cloned and not Donna or Martha?

2) If they could make one clone they could make more?

3) How fast do the clones age? Why do some appear old after being around for only a few days? How are they born with the knowledge and experience to match their age?

4) What was that the Hath had on their faces that looks like a glass of green bubbly water?

I just finished watching the newly released Sea Devils on DVD and the differences in story development between the old and new series are becoming more and more glaring to me. The development of the (bad guy) Colonel Trenchard and (good guy) Captain Hart for just one story was amazing and very well done and is typical of the old series.

So, yes I like the new series and all. It has the effects and the music (which can be a bit overbearing at times), but I’m beginning to think that the story styles are becoming my number one peeve about the new show.

Bottom line, I really do hope Stephen Moffat slows things down when he takes over the show.

The thing is with the old ones there were four slots in which to progress an episode, now you only have one show to do the full story, so the old way of writing doesn't really work. Which is a shame because some of those stories were very good, they just don't stand up effects and acting wise these days. However Moffat does seem to progress things much slower, preferring two parters and suspense to just shoving everything in one big pot, stirring and pulling out a bad guy.

In answer to your questions:

1) The Doctor was seized first and examined first so he was the first one taken to the machine.

2) They were attacked before they could do anything else

3) I think the Doctor's Daughter was misleading and all the other clones were exact copies of other people at their ages. She changed because she was made from a Gallifreyan. Thats just a guess.

4) I have no idea but it was only really there to show us how Martha had progressed as a character

A neat conclusion. This ranks as my second favourite two-parter.

It'd be interesting to hear how this one was written. I get the feeling (no idea why) that they came up with the need to keep River Song alive and then backtracked from there to integrate the plot device into the story. Except it was done so well that it's almost seamless.

That was great stuff.

I'll be a fan forever if Euros Lyn and Stephen Moffat keep making episodes like this.

Moral of this week's episode : it is WE who are the monsters. How very innovative, Doctor Who. At least spend a little more money next time you want to shove the most obvious of messages down our collective throat.

That being said - the whole talking at the same time thing was actually quite creepy towards the end.

Moral of this week's episode : it is WE who are the monsters. How very innovative, Doctor Who. At least spend a little more money next time you want to shove the most obvious of messages down our collective throat.

That being said - the whole talking at the same time thing was actually quite creepy towards the end.

For those who are not insane or British, he's referring to the episode "Midnight" which aired last Saturday in the UK. It was pretty cool. It was all done on virtually one set and harkened back to to the old "Twighlight Zones" in storyline and tone. Good fun.

Although she has improved considerably from the beginning of the series but there are still a few annoying things abut her

Such as? I'm just curious, because i'm not really bothered by any part of her character or delivery.

I'm not too bothered by it anymore, but she's just not as good as the other two were (well, Rose second season I'd say).

CT's reactions are always really exaggerated, as in she has to shout a lot and gets very animated. At times this can be good and fits the character (which was written for her, rather than her cast into the role), but just watching it over and over again bores me. The same large actions and facial expressions over and over are annoying.

Couldn't believe last nights penultimate episode of the season. Talk about cliffhanger or what? No previews, no gossip - what's going to happen??? Without giving anything away (not even in a spoiler note! You guys can't cheat to see how that episode ended!!), I reckon the hand must have something to do with the resolution, otherwise I am stumped!!!

Can't believe I have to wait six more days til the resolution.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.