Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Adding to the all-star companion reunion for Series 4 is…Sarah Jane!

http://www.joo-see.com/sarahjanereturn2.html

http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=sarah_...he_return_again

So, now we got Donna, Martha, Rose, Jack and SJ on board. Does anyone else here smell overkill?

Yeah, massive overkill. I have a bad feeling about this....

I wasn't aware Jack was coming back, unless it's when the Doc picks up Martha for a brief hello.

There's got to be some deaths in this series - that's the only reason I can see for up-ing the companion count.

Where's Aldric and he Brigadier?

Do you mean Adric? Last I recall, he died on the freighter--which (after burning up and striking the earth) triggered the end of the dinosaurs in earth's past. That was the conclusion of the great episode "Earthshock."

For that matter where is Ace?

Ace was cool.

Adding to the all-star companion reunion for Series 4 is…Sarah Jane!

http://www.joo-see.com/sarahjanereturn2.html

http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=sarah_...he_return_again

So, now we got Donna, Martha, Rose, Jack and SJ on board. Does anyone else here smell overkill?

Yeah, massive overkill. I have a bad feeling about this....

I wasn't aware Jack was coming back, unless it's when the Doc picks up Martha for a brief hello.

There's got to be some deaths in this series - that's the only reason I can see for up-ing the companion count.

Spoiler-

The episode with Sarah Jane, Rose and Martha is the "Doctor-lite" episode this season. In the previous story, the Doctor gets erased from all time. *This* story deals with these companions, showing their lives as if they had never met the Doctor. Or so I hear. So I'm not sure it will be overkill at all. And regarding Jack's return: The Doc needs some help to defeat Davros! And the season ends on a cliffhanger to be resolved in the X-mas special. Again, so I hear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed last nights episode. The mimed conversation between Donna and the Doctor was very funny, and the surprise at the end was exactly that. No idea that was going to happen.

The whole first 20 mins when they kept missing each other was played nicely. All in all, a top start to the new series. Next saturday is the token historical episode - this time in Pompeii just before it all kicks off.

I found it enjoyable enough, and I didn't find Donna as annoying as I expected her to be which can only be a good thing! I've stayed mostly away from spoilers, though a few did slip through (thank you very much BBC news), so when the surprise appeared I congratulated myself on not spoiling the surprise only to find that everyone was surprised :)

Stolen from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_arcs_in_Doctor_Who

Russell T. Davies hinted in Doctor Who Magazine that the next arc word for Doctor Who was something said by The Master in the final two episodes of Series 3 - The Sound of Drums and Last of the Time Lords. He has since stated that there is no specific arc word, but each episode of series four will have an element of the arc theme, which will carry through to the finale.

Four takes a somewhat different approach to the previous series. There are no big binding words like 'Bad Wolf', 'Torchwood', or 'Mr Saxon'. This time, its cumulative: an element from every episode-whether it's a person, a phrase, a question, a planet, or a mystery-builds up to the grand finale. Russell T Davies says: "You've got to watch and listen closely. It's been seeded for a long time, with small but vital references going all the way back to series one. And remember the Master, in Last Of The Timelords, mentioning the Medusa Cascade? Oh, that's going to come back to haunt us..."

I gotta admit: the new theme worries me.

Not because it sucks, though. I just twitch a little whenever the theme is changed or "modernized" in any way, as it reminds me of the John Nathan-Turner nightmare that pretty much killed he fun of Doctor Who for Tom Baker and all later doctors of the '80s.

The theme music didn't change because a new producer came on board, did it?

:eek:

I'm okay with the new theme. It fits well with the general tone of a series which always seems to assume that the audience can't hear the background music so they decide to MAKE IT REALLY LOUD ALL THE TIME.

Why can't this show manage to keep the Doctor's sidekicks around for more than a season at a time? Do they buy the actresses wholesale or something? Or are they planning for a battle royal in the final Tennant episode where Rose, Martha, Catherine Tate, Kylie Minogue, Sally Sparrow, and Cap'n Jack fight to the death until only one is left standing to be the Doctor's true wuvv?

It fits well with the general tone of a series which always seems to assume that the audience can't hear the background music so they decide to MAKE IT REALLY LOUD ALL THE TIME.
Oh man, that's my one major technical gripe with the show.

Forget the cheesy effects, the sound is AWFUL. It's like they have three separate and permanent levels for dialogue, effects, and music: soft, medium, and deafening respectively. I can't count how many times I've had to grab the remote and cut the volume in half when the incidental music starts shaking my speakers!

Why can't this show manage to keep the Doctor's sidekicks around for more than a season at a time?
Probably because it keeps the Doctor/Companion dynamic fresh? The only companions that lasted more than two years without wearing out their welcome are Jamie and Sarah Jane. Most sidekicks start sucking after more than a year for some reason, and the producers have probably noticed this.

I gotta admit: the new theme worries me.

Not because it sucks, though. I just twitch a little whenever the theme is changed or "modernized" in any way, as it reminds me of the John Nathan-Turner nightmare that pretty much killed he fun of Doctor Who for Tom Baker and all later doctors of the '80s.

The theme music didn't change because a new producer came on board, did it?

:eek:

Nah, RTD is still on board. It was a weird decision to do *that* to the theme since they already did *that* to it with the new Series 1. They just did more *that* to it for no discernible reason. Just an odd choice, probably no significance.

BTW, loved Tate as Donna (again). Man, a lot of folks at doctorwhoforum.net just hate her. Their loss!

And I thought the Adipose were a clever/funny idea for an alien. I mean, they can't all be 12 foot tall insectoids, can they?

And between

Wilf recognizing the Doctor and the rather shocking appearance of Rose

it acted a great kick off to the season as well as to a larger story arc.

Stolen from wikipedia:

Four takes a somewhat different approach to the previous series. There are no big binding words like 'Bad Wolf', 'Torchwood', or 'Mr Saxon'. This time, its cumulative: an element from every episode-whether it's a person, a phrase, a question, a planet, or a mystery-builds up to the grand finale. Russell T Davies says: "You've got to watch and listen closely. It's been seeded for a long time, with small but vital references going all the way back to series one. And remember the Master, in Last Of The Timelords, mentioning the Medusa Cascade? Oh, that's going to come back to haunt us..."

I guess Rose is the arc - an appearance in Episode 1, and a comment in last nights Pompeii episode along the lines of "She is returning Doctor..."

But, Wikipedia has also picked up that both episodes have mentioned planets have disapppeared - the Adiposian seeding planet and the Pyrovilians home planet in last nights episode. Interesting...

Stolen from wikipedia:

I guess Rose is the arc - an appearance in Episode 1, and a comment in last nights Pompeii episode along the lines of "She is returning Doctor..."

But, Wikipedia has also picked up that both episodes have mentioned planets have disapppeared - the Adiposian seeding planet and the Pyrovilians home planet in last nights episode. Interesting...

And another mention of the Doctor's name "burned into the Medusa Cascade".

So it feels like "Medusa Cascade" is the arc-term for this season. Too bad nobody knows what that is!

Great episode, BTW. I really like this Doctor/Donna team up. And all the effects looked great. Who would have thought!?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.