Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

The first two Children in Need Specials (Dimensions in Time and Curse of the Fatal Death) are for sure not cannon. However, the 2005 CiN Special is generally considered cannon because of the segue way nature of the show and because it's included in the Series 2 DVD set.

I imagine this new special will be cannon as well. Look at the title, “Time Crash.” This may be another segue way between “Last of the Time Lords” and “Voyage of the Damned.”

It’s been rumored from the beginning that “Voyage of the Damned” will be a multi-Doctor story. The most common prediction is Doc 7 (because of “The Left-Handed Hummingbird” novel) and Doc 9 because of his photograph with the Southhampton family and his comment in “The End of the World, “I was on board another ship once. They said that was unsinkable. I ended up clinging to an iceberg, it wasn't half cold."

The first two Children in Need Specials (Dimensions in Time and Curse of the Fatal Death) are for sure not cannon. However, the 2005 CiN Special is generally considered cannon because of the segue way nature of the show.

I imagine this new special will be cannon as well. Look at the title, “Time Crash.” This may be another segue way between “Last of the Time Lords” and “Voyage of the Damned.”

It’s been rumored from the beginning that “Voyage of the Damned” will be a multi-Doctor story. The most common prediction is Doc 7 (because of “The Left-Handed Hummingbird” novel) and Doc 9 because of his photograph with the Southhampton family and his comment in “The End of the World, “I was on board another ship once. They said that was unsinkable. I ended up clinging to an iceberg, it wasn't half cold."

Ah! I loved Curse of the Fatal Death! I wish it *was* canon.

Actually, was just thinking about this. The Peter Davison episode, “Time Flight” comes out on DVD Nov 6 and “Time Crash” is being broadcast Nov 16. Since “Time Flight” was a Master story and we just finished up a Master story arc, could there be a relation between the two?

Yes, I’m talking out of my arse (proper British spelling since we are talking about a Brit show).

Yes, I’m talking out of my arse (proper British spelling since we are talking about a Brit show).

Never thought I'd see the day!!

Good idea though, the titles have a nice link between the 2 titles. I'm sure Time Crash is going to refer to the Titanic ending of the last series rather than just the 2 Doctors meeting. Must be a bit of a longer story though than the 2005 intro of the 10th Doctor.

I did like that Curse of the Fatal Death. Light hearted and a good laugh.

• 3 weeks later...

More on the crossover story coming up this friday:

Tennant and Davison go head-to-head in new DWM.

Peter Davison and David Tennant compare notes on playing the Doctor in an exclusive joint interview in this month's DWM.

Discussing the Fifth Doctor's return in the forthcoming Children in Need special scene, Time Crash, Peter asks, "I'm wondering, do I know where I've come from? Do I know whether I've left behind Tegan and –"

David interrupts. "Yes, is this post-Adric or not?"

"Oh God, we're questioning the logic of the script now," jokes Peter. "We're turning into Colin Baker!"

Peter goes on to shock David with revelations about his old costume... "[Pointing at the celery on his jacket] Close up, my one looked like a piece of embroidery."

"Your celery wasn't real?!" gasps David.

"No, it was material."

"I'm devastated!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/n.../09/50621.shtml

Must have been a slow day in the news world because one of our sunday papers has blatently made this up:

Simm to replace Tennant in Doctor Who?

Sunday, November 11 2007, 15:07 GMT

By Ben Rawson-Jones, Cult Editor

John Simm will reportedly take over the role of The Doctor from David Tennant, playing the eleventh incarnation of the popular Time Lord.

The News of the World claims that the deal has been signed, with the former Life on Mars star to play the coveted role in the fifth season due to be screened in 2010. The tabloid cites a BBC insider as saying: "John is absolutely over the moon. He's got a six-year-old son who is a massive Doctor Who fan and he can't believe his dad is going to fly the Tardis at work."

Simm appeared in the final three episodes of the third season of Doctor Who earlier this year in a different role - as evil Time Lord The Master.

The BBC has since told Digital Spy that the News of the World story is untrue.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a79627/si...doctor-who.html

Never going to happen. He doesn't like to get tied into a series. That's why Life on Mars ended when it did, when it could have had more episodes in it, and why his role as the Master was left in a position where another acotr could pick up the reigns if he wasn't interested.

Would have been interesting to watch though. The Saxon character being wanted for murder and so forth and the Doctor assuming his face.

Back on the Children in Need episode this Friday (Time Crash) with the 5th and 10th Doc's, the official Dr Who website will be hosting the episode for download for 7 days after friday, (so those of you in the US and elsewhere can have a view), plus a behind the scenes documentary for all of us to watch. Here's the link to the article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/n.../12/50656.shtml

Just letting you know. If the special is a pile of cack, don't come running to me!!!

All in all, this was a great little episode. My Doctor (like David Tenant, who is only one year older then me) is Peter Davison. This was clearly a tongue-in-cheek ode to the fans with just a little too much referencing the past. So, it remains to be seen whether this is going to be a cannon episode since “Last of the Time Lords” and “Time Crash” have the same ending. The easy answer is, if it’s on the Series 4 DVD set, it is. If not, then it’s not.

It was even more brief and simple than I thought, but no matter. It was basically Tennant delivering a love letter to the classic series and there is nothing wrong with that. The shear enormity of the show (almost *45 years*, 30 seasons, and 3 movies combined with the fact that I have been a fan for 22 years)...it just really hit me, almost overwhelmingly so, watching "Time Crash". Which was its intention, of course. It succeeded.

edit- grammar, of course.

A good'un then?

Yeah it was . It was only 8 minutes or so - not much time really, but plenty of good moments between them. I liked:

1. Oh yeah - you went hands free!

2. You've changed the desktop setting!

3. Comments about the Master - Does he still have that silly little beard?

4. And the ending was good with Tennant saying he was his Doctor. Snap.

For me, it's cannon.

Billie Piper to return to Dr Who

Actress Billie Piper is to return to Doctor Who, the BBC has confirmed. She will star in three episodes of the sci-fi drama, reprising her role as the Doctor's companion, Rose Tyler.

Rose's return will mean the Doctor has three assistants in next year's series - Donna, played by Catherine Tate, and Freema Agyeman as Martha.

The new series begins in March and will run for 13 episodes. There will be three special editions in 2009 before the show takes a break until 2010. Piper left Doctor Who last year, when she was transported into a parallel universe.

Awards

Her character had proven a hit and the star won a number of awards for her performances. She was named most popular actress at the National Television Awards in 2005 and 2006.

A separate show based on Rose had been planned by writer and series producer Russell T Davies, but was scrapped when Davies decided the programme was "a spin-off too far".

Filming is currently under way in Cardiff for the new series of Doctor Who, which sees the Doctor meeting an old group of enemies - the Sontarans - 35 years after first encountering them.

Before that, the programme will return to television screens at Christmas with a special episode set on the Titanic, which will co-star singer and actress Kylie Minogue.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7114699.stm

Piper's return to the show [even for just three episodes] strikes me as kind of scrambling to recapture lost viewer attention/hype - a ratings stunt.

It's not I'd expect in a show that's supposedly 'healthy' [TV business-wise]. And unfotunately with Rose's return - since Davies is persistent in his silly & tiresome "Female companion X loves the Doctor, but the Doctor may/may not know it" routine - the Doctor will undoubtedly be stuck into a Love Rectangle/Rhombus/pick a 4 sided shape.

Piper's return to the show [even for just three episodes] strikes me as kind of scrambling to recapture lost viewer attention/hype - a ratings stunt.

It's not I'd expect in a show that's supposedly 'healthy' [TV business-wise]. And unfotunately with Rose's return - since Davies is persistent in his silly & tiresome "Female companion X loves the Doctor, but the Doctor may/may not know it" routine - the Doctor will undoubtedly be stuck into a Love Rectangle/Rhombus/pick a 4 sided shape.

I think S4 is going to be RTD's last and he wants to go out with a bang. The ratings are great in the UK and fine in the US, so that's not the reason. So it's more about spectacle for the sake of spectacle. Nothing wrong with that! (sometimes)

I think S4 is going to be RTD's last and he wants to go out with a bang. The ratings are great in the UK and fine in the US, so that's not the reason. So it's more about spectacle for the sake of spectacle. Nothing wrong with that! (sometimes)

Yes, but in a recent article, RTD says this (2009 may not be the only hiatus planned), ratings stunt or genius, you decide:

"He [RTD] plans to be writing for the chattering cyclops for decades yet. "I don't have any big ambitions except to carry on writing stories for telly." Including Doctor Who? "Yes. We've set it up in such a way that it should be around for 20-30 years yet. Within that timeframe there will be year-long hiatuses to give it a chance to get its momentum back."

Taken from:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/saturday/story/0...rticle_continue

Yes, but in a recent article, RTD says this (2009 may not be the only hiatus planned), ratings stunt or genius, you decide:

"He [RTD] plans to be writing for the chattering cyclops for decades yet. "I don't have any big ambitions except to carry on writing stories for telly." Including Doctor Who? "Yes. We've set it up in such a way that it should be around for 20-30 years yet. Within that timeframe there will be year-long hiatuses to give it a chance to get its momentum back."

Taken from:

Just to quantify a bit, yes, there is going to be a full S4 in 2008. And then Who is going to be gone for quite awhile and then only return in fits and starts in 2009 (the plan is for S5 to consist of something like 3 longish stand alone stories, something like that). So in a *way* S4 is the end of and era and I think there is a perception that you might like to send it off with a pageant.

RTD may stay after that abbreviated S5, but the rumor mill is strong that the producer's torch will be passed. Moffat has been mentioned.

Taken from:

Just to quantify a bit, yes, there is going to be a full S4 in 2008. And then Who is going to be gone for quite awhile and then only return in fits and starts in 2009 (the plan is for S5 to consist of something like 3 longish stand alone stories, something like that). So in a *way* S4 is the end of and era and I think there is a perception that you might like to send it off with a pageant.

RTD may stay after that abbreviated S5, but the rumor mill is strong that the producer's torch will be passed. Moffat has been mentioned.

Official Explantion:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/n.../03/48471.shtml

After months of media speculation, the BBC can confirm that the BAFTA award-winning Doctor Who will return for a fifth series in Spring 2010.

Viewers are in for a treat this Christmas, as a special episode starring David Tennant and Kylie Minogue will be broadcast on BBC One in December 2007.

Series Four, which went into production in July 2007, will hit UK screens in Spring 2008, followed by a special episode for Christmas 2008.

In 2009 Doctor Who will return with three specials starring David Tennant, with Head Writer, Russell T Davies.

The full-length fifth series will transmit in 2010.

Jane Tranter, Controller, BBC Fiction, says: "Doctor Who is one of the BBC's best loved and most successful dramas. Its journey over the past three series has been one of the most ambitious and exciting that we have had, and I'm delighted to be able to confirm not only three exciting specials for 2009, but a fifth series in 2010. "

Menna Richards, Controller, BBC Wales, says: "The success of Doctor Who is a fantastic tribute to the dedication and expertise of the production team at BBC Wales who have worked on the project from the outset. This announcement is marvellous news for all involved, and more importantly for the programme's amazing fan base and audience. BBC Wales is looking forward to producing the fifth series."

Following the critically acclaimed season three finale, the BBC has announced that Catherine Tate is set to return to the TARDIS for the complete 13-week run of series four, reprising her role as Donna from the 2006 Christmas special.

Freema Agyeman, who won praise for her portrayal of Martha Jones in series three, is also set to return mid series four.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.