Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

They already did that by replacing Freema and putting that stupid ***** *** ******* $%$$% in her place

Agreed! But the reason why is that David Tennant is playing Hamlet in 2009:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol...icle2379603.ece

To be Doctor Who or not to be...? David Tennant is to take a break from the Tardis to deliver his Hamlet for the Royal Shakespeare Company.

Producers have allowed Tennant, 36, to fulfil his Shakespeare ambitions. He will play the Danish prince in a Stratford-Upon-Avon production, due to run from July to November next year. It will rule him out of filming a 2009 series of Doctor Who.

The BBC feared Tennant would leave Doctor Who altogether after next year’s series, which is currently being shot. Tennant wishes to pursue further stage and screen projects.

Under a compromise agreement, Tennant is expected to return to the role for the sci-fi show’s fifth series since its revival, in 2010. He has agreed to film three extended bank holiday specials to keep fan’s happy during 2009.

However such long-term planning is rare in the fickle world of television and both the BBC and Tennant may have different plans come 2010.

BBC One is seeking new “family drama” hits for Saturday night. Merlin, a revival of the King Arthur legend, is already in production. A new series of Robin Hoodis set to challenge the dominance of ITV1’s The X Factorthis Autumn.

The award-winning Tennant, installed after Christopher Eccleston left after one series, is now firmly established as the Doctor. He recently completed an HBO film, Einstein And Eddington, in which he plays the British scientist, Sir Arthur Eddington.

In a further sci-fi twist, Patrick Stewart, the former Star Trek star, will play Hamlet’s uncle Claudius, alongside the screen Time Lord at Stratford.

Catherine Tate returns to the Tardis as the Doctor’s assistant in the Spring series, reprising her role as Donna from last year's Christmas special. Kylie Minogue guest stars in this year’s Titanic-set festive episode.

Jane Tranter, Controller, BBC Fiction, said: “Doctor Who is one of the BBC’s best loved and most successful dramas. I’m delighted to be able to confirm not only three exciting specials for 2009, but a fifth series in 2010.”

Watched Family of Blood tonight. Enjoyed the epi alot. It was more touching than I thought it would be. The scene where the John sees his possible future with Joan, I almost lost it. Haven't been that weepy over an episode since Father's Day. Nice to see Jessica as Joan, but she will always be Daisy to me.....

Can't wait 'til Blink next week. From the promo and the posts above, it looks to be quite a ride!!!!

“Blink” was a fantastic episode! Why RTD is (temporarily) replacing Martha with Donna and not Sally is beyond me, ugh.

Speaking of RTD, no one is more color blind than me, but his constant paring of Black and White couples is beyond extreme now. His agenda of showing these parings may backfire on him soon; it’s as if he’s now saying that Black couples cannot work.

Question, though, if the Weeping Angels had the TARDIS key all along, why didn’t they just go there in the first place?

Finally, a HUGE “Boo and Hiss” to Sci-Fi channel's preview for next week. They gave it all away! It should have been like the original preview, focusing on The Doc and Co’s travels to the end of time and meeting with Prof. Yana.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed Blink very much so. I found myself trying not to blink during the epi. Yes, I know I'm lame LoL Sally was indeed a great character. The epi wouldn't have worked well w/o her, seeing as the Doctor had a very limited role.....

They sort of spoiled Utopia a bit, but I already knew from being online so much. My mom had no clue though. It was nice to see Capt. Jack back. His one-on-one scenes with the Doctor were a highlight. I really liked Yana, and it almost broke my heart to watch him change. Don't get me wrong though, I am enjoying the entrance of my favorite naughty Time Lord..... :flirt:

I liked Blink too - it "felt" like a Classic Series Doctor Who episode; a Tom Baker era episode to be more specific - although it might not have been out of place when William Hartnell was still the Doctor.

In some respects I thought Utopia was a bit of let down, another hum-drum episode like 42. I thought the bit about the Time Lords never traveling "to the end of the universe" was a blundering, non-sensical, and almost painful to watch, case of sloppy story-telling. The end of the episode where Yana transforms back into the Master kept it from being a totally forgettable episode though.

The restored Master should've looked like the Master though instead of random guy #785649. The Master apparently maintained his "look" throughout all his regenerations rather than the more random regeneration favored by the Doctor - that "look" should have been used in the new series as well. It makes perfect sense for Yana not to look like the Master, but the re-awakened Master should have been clearly been the Master.

Strangest of all, is how did the Master survive and get a new Gallifreian/Time Lord body? We last see The Master in the 1996 TV Movie - but he had been tried for his crimes and seemingly executed. We soon found out that the Master survived as a gel type substance/snake-thing that quickly takes control of human host body. After many happenings, the Master finds himself sucked into the Eye of Harmony.

Before the TV movie though, the Master took the body of Tremas [see The Keeper of Traken] - which means the Master was two non-Time Lord bodies away from his original body. I could see leaving the Masters survival in the Eye of Harmony a mystery - it can make for interesting discussion. Not filling in viewers on how the Master obtained a new Time Lord/Gallifreian body seems like sloppy writing to me, but it's a two-parter episode so such an explanation of some sort could wait until the next episode.

Not filling in viewers on how the Master obtained a new Time Lord/Gallifreian body seems like sloppy writing to me, but it's a two-parter episode so such an explanation of some sort could wait until the next episode.

Didn't this Master, when asked by the Doctor, say that the Time Lords regenerated him? As a weapon against the Daleks? (Retroactively suggesting that was the Doctor's role at the beginning of the 1996 film.)

I'm sure that was explained Master-Body point at some point in Doctor Who Confidential.

Something about him using the Eye of Harmony to take regenerations away from other Doctors. Or that was the plot for one of his last episodes in the very least.

The Sci-Fi Channel isn't running DWC, I'm not sure it's running anywhere outside the UK for that matter. In any case, DWC isn't the series itself so relying on it to provide necessary explanations really would be sloppy writing.

Not filling in viewers on how the Master obtained a new Time Lord/Gallifreian body seems like sloppy writing to me, but it's a two-parter episode so such an explanation of some sort could wait until the next episode.

Didn't this Master, when asked by the Doctor, say that the Time Lords regenerated him? As a weapon against the Daleks? (Retroactively suggesting that was the Doctor's role at the beginning of the 1996 film.)

Not in Utopia at least - the Doctor's and the Master's conversation is mostly limited to the Doctor pleading with the Master not to take the TARDIS, so it must happen in the second part [ The Sound of Drums ].

Now that I've had a chance to think about it a bit more, I suppose the 'sloppy writing' aspect in regards to Utopia is because it sort of "feels" like the story has been stretched out and filled with some fluff bits to make it into a multi-part story. If Utopia and The Sound of Drums were run back to back, or as one extra long episode, I don't think the stretching/filler would've been as noticeable.

No! The Master's around the meeting table (at 10 Downing?) and he's talking to the Doctor on Martha's cell phone:

The Doctor: What happened to you?

The Master: The Time Lords only resurrected me because they knew I'd be the perfect warrior for a time war. I was there when that Dalek Emperor to control of the Cruciform. I saw it. I ran. I ran so far. Made myself human. So they'd never find me. Because... I was so scared.

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler for Season 4:

For Season 4, my money is on either Davros, the Sontarans, or the Ice Warriors.

On 7th August 2007, the Sun reported that the actor Sir Ben Kingsley is to play Davros, the creator of the Daleks, in the fourth series. This has not officially been confirmed.

Looks like I may be right...

I was right (spoiler for Series 4):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2007/10/02/49473.shtml

Christopher Ryan, best known for playing super-cool Mike in the classic comedy series The Young Ones, is set for a guest-starring role in an upcoming Series Four adventure.

Ryan will play a Sontaran leader in the story, due to begin filming in the next few weeks.

"I'm absolutely delighted to be appearing in this new Doctor Who," Chris revealed. "The last time I appeared in Doctor Who was in 1986, Colin Baker was the Doctor and I was still a Young One."

The story in question was the Trial Of A Time Lord, where Chris starred as the slug-like Mentor Kiv alongside Trevor Laird, who played Martha's dad in 2007.

If you know your Who lore, the Sontarans will need no introduction. If you're a newer viewer, however, you may not know that the Sontarans are amongst the greatest villains from the classic series of Doctor Who.

A military, warlike species, able to clone vast armies of themselves, the Sontarans are locked into an eternal struggle with their enemies the Rutans.

American Viewing of "Last of the Time Lords:"

Are you freaking kidding me?!? Sci-Fi Channel massacred this episode! What happened to the Master’s song and Dance intro?!? The buildup of the rebellion aboard the Valiant?!?

I don’t know if Sci-Fi pays any attention to this board, but the editing of this entire season has been GARBAGE! But this, this is inexcusable! Why not make this an hour and a half episode like last season’s finale? Are you afraid of cutting in on precious Flash Gordon time?

I can’t wait until Nov. 6 when the DVDs come out. Sci-Fi, you suck!

Write your displeasue to:

feedback@scifi.com

I H8 these network's "creative cutting" That's why I always end up buying them on DVD. Think I'll wait a while to buy series 3. It's gonna be a lil' pricey when it comes out next month.

As for what they did show, I liked it. Like that little surprise at the end w/ Jack. As for John Simm, he's a sexy lunatic. A little manic, but I did enjoy his Master. I give the epi a A-

American Viewing of "Last of the Time Lords:"

Are you freaking kidding me?!? Sci-Fi Channel massacred this episode! What happened to the Master’s song and Dance intro?!? The buildup of the rebellion aboard the Valiant?!?

I don’t know if Sci-Fi pays any attention to this board, but the editing of this entire season has been GARBAGE! But this, this is inexcusable! Why not make this an hour and a half episode like last season’s finale? Are you afraid of cutting in on precious Flash Gordon time?

I can’t wait until Nov. 6 when the DVDs come out. Sci-Fi, you suck!

Write your displeasue to:

feedback@scifi.com

I'm speechless as how badly they cut this episode to pieces. It's the last part of a three episode arc and the season finale to boot. Give them an extra 5 minutes! I shouldn't be surprised, though, seeing the way the show has bee edited this season.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/n.../21/50016.shtml

David Tennant's Tenth Doctor is set to meet Peter Davison's Fifth Doctor in a special scene commissioned for BBC One's Children in Need.

The scene, entitled Time Crash, was written by award winning Doctor Who writer Steven Moffat, and will transmit as part of the Children in Need fundraising evening on Friday 16 November 2007.

"It is an honour for me to be able to make the connection between the Fifth Doctor and the Tenth Doctor," noted Peter Davison. "However, now is not the time for sound-bites. I can feel the hand of history on my shoulder, even if I can't do the buttons up!"

Nice one - that should be good. Hopefully it's a proper segment unlike that nightmare that was Dr Who meets the East Enders cast a number of years back!!

Pete looks a little older, but considering it's been 23 years since he regenerated, he's aged well!

Nice one - that should be good. Hopefully it's a proper segment unlike that nightmare that was Dr Who meets the East Enders cast a number of years back!!

Pete looks a little older, but considering it's been 23 years since he regenerated, he's aged well!

"Dimensions in Time". Excuse me..... Ahhh. That's better. I just had to vomit real quick into the wastebasket by my desk.

I think the franchise is now held in high enough esteem that they would not again do something like....excuse me.....Ahhhhhhhh. Whew! Anyway, very curious to see Davison again and, of course, argue whether it's "canon" or not!

:lol::lol::lol: Nice post!!

Yeah - it'll be fine. I remember these did a short segment in 2005 which showed a 10 minute slot with the 10th Doctor and Rose set between the regeneration and the xmas special and explained how it went from going to "Where was I? Oh yeah - Barcelona!" to them crash landing in the Tyler's estate.

I like the 5th doctor - he was the main one I watched growing up. Got into the series during Tom Baker's final couple of stories. Wonder if he'll have one of his old companions?

I do remember someone whispering about the xmas special on the Titanic coming up featuring Paul McGann's 8th Doctor. Dunno if that's still the case or not. Hope so.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.