Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

You got me :shrug: - it's not like they couldn't have spared a half-minute or so at the beginning of the episdoe with the Doctor saying something like "well just one more trip".

For some reason it felt like Davies & Co. just kinda gave up on putting much [if any] thought into the story. The sub-plot between the stage-hand and the actress was good but the primary plot of the Daleks building the Empire State Building was a one way ticket to Hokey-ville.

It doesn't take much thought to see that basing this episode around Orson Welles's Mercury Theatre broadcast of The War of the Worlds would've made things much more interesting. The broadcast is normal - nothing mysterious about it, but coinicidentally, the Daleks become active in Grover's Mill, NJ [where the Martian's landed in Welles adaptation]. To the frightened townsfolk they Daleks might just as be the fictional Martians in Welles's broadcast. In some respects the Daleks are remarkably similar Wells's Martians - the confusion.would've been understandable

The further mutation of the Daleks is plain goofy - when the lead Dalek stood up I half-expected him to do a quick song and dance routine. After this I'm not sure if anyone will b e able to take the Daleks even halfway seriously as villains...

It was a so-so episode. Guess I'm just burned-out with the cosmic cockroaches. I wouldn't have bothered if I had known I couldn't see part 2. We just moved, and the DirectTV installers can't get out here until the 23rd :angry: I'm gonna miss part 2 and the next 2 epis. Geez, moving to the hills sux LoL

Part two is much better than part one, kinda straightens some things out (thank god)

And I have to agree with rogue about Blink, it simply kicks ass

Blink will freak you out. It's possibly the most "clever" script the show has ever produced. There are elements of this story that you will be pondering well after it's over.

Spoiler for Season 4:

For Season 4, my money is on either Davros, the Sontarans, or the Ice Warriors.

On 7th August 2007, the Sun reported that the actor Sir Ben Kingsley is to play Davros, the creator of the Daleks, in the fourth series. This has not officially been confirmed.

Looks like I may be right...

Part two is much better than part one, kinda straightens some things out (thank god)

And I have to agree with rogue about Blink, it simply kicks ass

Blink will freak you out. It's possibly the most "clever" script the show has ever produced. There are elements of this story that you will be pondering well after it's over.

Is Blink the episode with the Weeping Angels? That was one of the better episodes they've made since they brought this show back a few years ago. My brother can't watch it. That's how brilliant it is.

I was disappointed to find in the previous, "Evolution of the Daleks", that the the production team included a scene from the War of the Worlds. The scene in Hooverville where Solomon is killed by the Daleks is a slightly tweaked version of the of the scene in War of the Worlds 1953 (the only movie version that's worth watching) where Pastor Collins approaches the Martians in peace but is disintergrated. It's almost as if they knew the episode ought to have been placed during Orson Welles WotW broadcast.

Tonight's episode, "The Lazarus Experiment", seems like it could be interesting...

Pay close attention watching that one.

To what?

Ooh, someone knows about The Doctor?

I guess they cleared up the "just one trip" thing at the end... well, for the upcoming episodes.

A general observation - remember whenever Rose went back in time, she'd make an attempt to dress the part? How come Martha got away with walking through Shakespeare's England in blue jeans? Same with 1930's Manhattan? Isn't the Tardis supposed to have a massive wardrobe for those occasions?

Spoiler for Season 4:

For Season 4, my money is on either Davros, the Sontarans, or the Ice Warriors.

On 7th August 2007, the Sun reported that the actor Sir Ben Kingsley is to play Davros, the creator of the Daleks, in the fourth series. This has not officially been confirmed.

Looks like I may be right...

Double Whoa!!

• 2 weeks later...

Not upto there yet, last Friday Sci-Fi ran Human Nature - but we don't get to see the second half, The Family of Blood until next week, Sci-Fi is doing a fan favorite SG-1 mini-marathon this evening.

It's an interesting story idea - but I'm dissappointed in Davies continued use/rewritting stories from the DW New Adventure books [even though the original author is writing the script]. Largely because there seems to be an unspoken 'order' for viewers to read the books to get the whole story. And the whole thing kinda feels like cheating - these writers are getting paid to contribute new stories but they're recycling previous work.

Human Nature seems to work well enough as it seemed fairly self contained - but Russell T Davies bringing in stuff from his books smacks more of a desperate cry to "buy my books" - the whole "Galifrey is destroyed and the Doctor is the last of his kind" angle in particular.

Would it make you feel better to know that most of the works that have been adapted to the screen are available for free along with new commentary on the making of the episode? I scanned through Paul Cornell's first few chapters of 'Human Nature' and didn't exactly find it to my taste but kinda liked the extra piece on the adaptation process.

Also, you're accusing the writers of recycling previous work instead of creating new material? This is Doctor Who we're talking about, right? That sort of thing is pretty much a given fact with this show.

I didn't read many of the new adventures series during the time the series was off the air, but Human Nature was one that I caught as it got great reviews at the time. I think this double parter fits very well into this years series.

So part 2 next week, then the very enjoyable Blink, and then you reach Utopia. 2 absolute belters there!!

I read something the other day about David Bowie denying he was going to be in series 4. Wonder where that one sprung from? "No smoke without fire" as they say.

ARGH! Season Five won't air until 2010!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/n.../03/48471.shtml

After months of media speculation, the BBC can confirm that the BAFTA award-winning Doctor Who will return for a fifth series in Spring 2010.

Viewers are in for a treat this Christmas, as a special episode starring David Tennant and Kylie Minogue will be broadcast on BBC One in December 2007.

Series Four, which went into production in July 2007, will hit UK screens in Spring 2008, followed by a special episode for Christmas 2008.

In 2009 Doctor Who will return with three specials starring David Tennant, with Head Writer, Russell T Davies.

The full-length fifth series will transmit in 2010.

Jane Tranter, Controller, BBC Fiction, says: "Doctor Who is one of the BBC's best loved and most successful dramas. Its journey over the past three series has been one of the most ambitious and exciting that we have had, and I'm delighted to be able to confirm not only three exciting specials for 2009, but a fifth series in 2010. "

Menna Richards, Controller, BBC Wales, says: "The success of Doctor Who is a fantastic tribute to the dedication and expertise of the production team at BBC Wales who have worked on the project from the outset. This announcement is marvellous news for all involved, and more importantly for the programme's amazing fan base and audience. BBC Wales is looking forward to producing the fifth series."

Following the critically acclaimed season three finale, the BBC has announced that Catherine Tate is set to return to the TARDIS for the complete 13-week run of series four, reprising her role as Donna from the 2006 Christmas special.

Freema Agyeman, who won praise for her portrayal of Martha Jones in series three, is also set to return mid series four.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.