Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

In the Doctor Who Confidential episode for "The Sound Of Drums", Davies stated that it had always been his intention to bring back classic icons of Doctor Who one step at a time: Daleks in series 1, Cybermen in series 2, and the Master in series 3. He has also stated that he is not finished and will continue reviving villains from the original series

For Season 4, my money is on either Davros, the Sontarans, or the Ice Warriors.

What? What? What?

Power of love saves the day. Again.

How can Jack be the Face of Boe? I'm gonna quote his dying words one more time :

"I am the last of my kind just as you are the last of yours, Doctor. But, know this, Time Lord....you are not alone."

He certainly wasn't the last human around. I suppose you could stretch things and say that he was thinking of himself as the sole remaining Time Agent or something.

I thought the show had reached the zenith of campy musical awesomeness with "Voodoo Child" playing as the world dies and the Master's wife awkwardly dances along to it. And then it one-ups itself with John Simm acting as a tyrant disc jockey manically singing the Scissor Sisters while he makes out with his girl, spits cold tea at his servants, and wheels a dying Doctor around his flying air fortress. Oh, show. I can only presume that the Master spent the ENTIRE YEAR doing this over and over. :lol:

An uneven albeit awkwardly satisfying finale. Much like the whole year, really.

http://freemaagyeman.com/news/2007/07/02/f...s4-torchwood-s2

Official BBC Press Release follows:

Freema Agyeman returns as Martha Jones

and guest stars in Torchwood!

The BBC has announced the first casting details for the fourth series of Doctor Who following the acclaimed end of the third series run - widely hailed by the critics and public alike as the best series yet.

While the final episode, screened last Saturday, saw The Doctor’s companion Martha leave to care for her devastated family, and to break the cycle of unrequited love she feels for The Doctor, the production team has now confirmed that the character is set to make a triumphant return in the fourth series.

Freema Agyeman who has gained rave notices for her portrayal of Martha Jones is also set to join the cast of Torchwood where she will continue to play the character in three new episodes before returning to Doctor Who in the middle of the fourth series.

Doctor Who’s executive producer and head writer, Russell T Davies comments: ‘Series three has gained outstanding reviews and Freema has been a huge part of that success, gaining rave notices for her portrayal of Martha. Now we are taking the character of Martha into brand new territory with a starring role in Torchwood’.

Freema Agyeman said ‘I can’t wait to start filming on Torchwood and the new series of Doctor Who. It’s a huge new challenge for me and I’m delighted Russell has decided to expand the character of Martha Jones.’

The new announcement leaves a vacant space in the Tardis and a new companion for The Doctor, who will join the new series for the entire 13 week run will be announced shortly.

The fourth series of Doctor Who goes into production this July.

I could have sworn he was, UK. A quick look at Wikipedia seems to sorta confirm that he is and offers no evidence that he isn't. So, uh, what makes you say he's an alien?

Yes, it was said out loud in Empty Child/Doctor Dances that Jack is human. Will they ever explain his immortality? Was the jiggery-pokery with the vortex in POTW going to be the sole explanation?

The Last of the Time Lords: Mixed emotions, but then there were mixed tones throughout. It was great fun, though, and that's what matters. Very clever, the Master's exit strategy. You just know he told the Missus "if I'm losing, shoot me. It'll be my only way out. And don't forget to retrieve my ring after the Doctor cremates me!" But then, why was she helping the Doctor by donating her positive vibes with the rest of the planet? A ruse to fool the other humans in the room?

I was thinking being human she got pulled into the whole "Doctor" thing.

As for Jack/Boe, when first introduced in the show even Cassandra "the last human" was hardly that. By that time he's already five billion years old to boot. And I'm fine with his immortality as the result of Rose's manipulation. (zHeck, that even explains away how he was the only one brought back to life in that adventure.)

I was thinking being human she got pulled into the whole "Doctor" thing.

Then why did she retrieve the ring at the end? I think, clearly, the hand that nabbed the ring was hers. Which means she was on the Master's side all along. That includes shooting him. Again, IMHO, that was the Master's exit strategy if he was beginning to lose to the Doctor she would shoot him "dead", he would *not* regenerate, rather push his essence into the ring which she would retrieve at a later date.

As for Jack/Boe, when first introduced in the show even Cassandra "the last human" was hardly that.

I thought she was said to be "the last Earthling". I certainly remember that she was the last 'pure' human and all the rest had interbred with other races and were considered mongrels in her eyes.

Transducer, your theory makes good sense to me. The Master wouldn't allow himself to die permanently from the black hole engine thingmabob but had a contingency plan in place for other circumstances. As to the Mistress joining in the Grand Psychic Lovefest, I took that as an indication of her own conflicted feelings (as evidenced when we first meet her through that reporter lady) on the matter. I wonder if the plan was even overt at all or possibly just The Master playing on her emotions and knowing what the results would be.

Quick informal poll : the drums. Just his own madness or the evil spirit of time or whatever taking the Master over? I think if he's resurrected it'll turn out to be the Martial Call of the Vortex and if he's left dead it was probably just his own meshugas.

Hmm - I was a little disappointed with the final episode. Right from the off when you realise a year has gone by, you know the reset button is going to be hit to put things back to the way they were before the previous weeks cliffhanger.

Plenty of plus's though.

1. Jack/Boe was genius. Loved it and think it makes great sense. Although... we only see Boe in the three 5 million years + episodes, but there is a moment when you see him on a tv screen in the Longest Game (the Simon Pegg episode), and that's set in the year 200,000. I guess he does a bit of time travelling though, otherwise he doesn't change a lot in 4,800,000 years!

2. The Master was great again, but I was annoyed with the ending. We know he'll be back, so to kill him off and then have him miraculously survive is a bit silly. The ring thing at the end was a bit too Ming the Merciless from Flash Gordon for me.

3. Nice ending for Martha, although we know she'll be back. Quite right that "the year that never was" affected her a lot to just jump straight back in the Tardis.

The titanic barging into the Tardis interior though? What's that all about? Still any story that gets Kylie in the show is fine by me!

Haven't all the finales ended with a quick tease for the upcoming Christmas special? I remember last year pulled the exact same shtick right down to the same reaction from the Doctor.

The show's first episode had a reference to the Ninth Doctor being somehow involved with the Titanic. Two of them, actually. Wonder if that'll be acknowledged or ignored.

Haven't all the finales ended with a quick tease for the upcoming Christmas special? I remember last year pulled the exact same shtick right down to the same reaction from the Doctor.

The show's first episode had a reference to the Ninth Doctor being somehow involved with the Titanic. Two of them, actually. Wonder if that'll be acknowledged or ignored.

There is a strong rumor that Voyage of the Damned is to be a multi-Doctor story featuring Paul McGann, who played the 8th incarnation. But you know how rumors are.

I was assuming that was just wishful thinking? I've not seen the TV Movie, but I would love to see a multiple Doctor story! And I don't think Ecclestone would do it, though the Ninth Doctor did stop a family from sailing on the Titanic. Didn't like the exact same reaction as the last finale. Kinda ruined it. But no Catherine Tate... yay!

I still have mixed feelings about Last of the Timelords. Some things were fantastic, and the year thing didn't bother me in the least because I was expecting something like that. But the biggest thing that was missing for me was either JAck or MAtha comforting the Doctor, showing that he does need people. I don't even care which of them it was! It would have shown how much it affected the Doctor, since he never takes.

Did love JackBoe.

Well, the show's been overindulging the geekier side of things lately. I wouldn't be all that surprised if something like that happened.

See, I hear that and know that multi-Doctor shows are a tradition that goes back to 1973 *AND* that Doctor Who is a national institution in the UK so I say: What's geeky about it?

Last of the Time Lords was pretty good, but it created as more questions as it did answers. So Gallifreyen children were taken at a young age, I'm guessing because they had a high midichlorine count, to view the time vortex to be inducted into the order of the time lords. Could that be why the Doctor left in the first place, so that Susan wouldn't have to go through that and live a normal life ? As to what villain they will include next, I would love to see the Rani, thought that character had great potential as a villain, but she's ruled out as she's a time lord. Sontarans would be cool, but I always had a soft spot for the Ice Warriors. And a multiple Doctor episode would be awesome.

See, I hear that and know that multi-Doctor shows are a tradition that goes back to 1973 *AND* that Doctor Who is a national institution in the UK so I say: What's geeky about it?

Yeah, I saw "The Five Doctors" too. It's important to remember that I don't mean geeky pejoratively and would define it here as a reliance upon details of the show's history to provide content and context. So it's always cool to hear lines like "Been a while since I reversed the polarity of the neutron flow" and see mentions of UNIT and Time Lord costumes straight of storage. But it's the sort of thing that's likely to go over the head of uninformed viewers. For example : Paul McGann offered to do a regeneration cameo right at the beginning of the series to set up the new Doctor. He was declined because the whole thing would be too confusing to people who had never seen the TV movie or even those who weren't quite as familiar with Doctor Who as your usual fan. Yeah, it's a national institution in the UK. So's NASCAR in the US. Doesn't mean there isn't a sizable segment of the population who ignore/despise it. I imagine that to your average British citizen the impact of the show is basically restricted to being scared of the Daleks when they were kids.

The show has been seriously relying on a knowledge of its own history for quite a while. I find that geeky while loving it at the same time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.