Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Hah. I saw a Youtube video of people having the same reaction. :lol:

Wow. I was expecting far more resolution to the setting of last week's episode. The show took us out of there in, what, two seconds?

The Master is not only the Evil Doctor but Evil Tony Blair as well.

Gallifrey. Squeee!

I'm making a bet that the Toclefane are gonna turn out to somehow be the Gallifreyans themselves. The last remnants of their consciousness placed into mechanical form, taking on the name of the childhood boogeyman they irrationally feared? They were certainly presented as infantile and simplistic and the show is going out of its way to imply that there's some mystery behind them and that they're more than just Aliens of the Week. We'll see.

No. no no no no. Never in the history of Doctor Who ever. They are not evil. There have only been a few Time Lords in History that have been turned. They are like the angels of the Doctor Who universe.
Also did anyone else notice that the tapping is actually the drum beat from the theme tunes?

No. no no no no. Never in the history of Doctor Who ever. They are not evil. There have only been a few Time Lords in History that have been turned. They are like the angels of the Doctor Who universe.

But... "Archangel Network"? How many of those things came out of that rift? Six billion?
Also did anyone else notice that the tapping is actually the drum beat from the theme tunes?

I think the was posted here earlier. And that's really, really cool.

But... "Archangel Network"? How many of those things came out of that rift? Six billion?

I think the was posted here earlier. And that's really, really cool.

Damn my choice of words! I really really doubt that it is gonna be the Galifrayens, if it is its kinda crap to be honest. Why woulds they kill a whole population? Thats the Daleks who do that. Alos they are dead, not stuck inside the rift. Unless they had an 'Emergency Temporal Shift' function too ;)

Good point I'd forgotten about them.

I'm pretty sure that, whatever it is, the Doctor knows them. The Master's comment about it "breaking the Doctor's hearts" along with him saying they were fairy tales from ancient Gallifrey gives that away. Somehow, they *have* to be disembodied Timelords, but how? The Master did not even know of the Time War...

He did, he says so in last weeks episode.

He was apparently resurrected simply to fight in it.

I'm still not buying that idea, unless The Master has them under some sort of hypnosis.

Ok, what I meant was that the Master did not know about the destruction of Gallifrey and the Timelords.

Excellent. I see we're dropping the spoiler text. Good.

Really, they remind me of the Gelth. And with the rift...

They're voiced by the same person, Zoe Thorn. I doubt it's significant. The Daleks, the Cybermen, the Nestene Consciousness from the first episode, all of them were voiced by the same fella. If the Toclefane turn out to be the Gelth, I'll be extremely surprised.

UK Legend, I'm with you on your description of the Time Lords. That's the very reason the revelation of what they turn into would be so painful to the Doctor. And I emphasize that this wouldn't have happened willingly but would most likely be the result of an accident or something along those lines. Their disembodied psychic essences taking on the nature of the thing they most feared in order to protect themselves, something like that. The Master steps in, takes control, and uses them to literally decimate (what a lovely touch that was) Earth's population to the sound of ominous yet cheery pop music.

Actually, having given the subject a little more thought my top theory as to their identity is a bit different. I think they're all that remains of the human race and possibly the result of reaching Utopia from the previous episode. They spoke of "avoiding the common darkness" or something along those lines. The TARDIS which was used to bring their full numbers into the present was explicitly described as being locked into the time'n'space of the previous episode's location. I imagine what awaited those survivors on the rocket wasn't a real Utopia but either some sort of trap by the Master (I'm recalling Derek Jacobi's sneering tone about the place once he began his sabotage) or some other baddie. Seeing as it was the Doctor who managed to get them there in the first place, the reveal that he'd led the last remnants of humanity to their death would be fairly disheartening. The more I think about it, the more I prefer to the Time Lord possibility.

Toc le fane, incidentally, seems to mean either "fool the fans" or "**** the fans" in French. Or so other message boards are saying.

I was wondering how/if "Utopia" was releated as well.

I could be wrong and there may be more to it, but I thought that when the Master pulled that disc/circuit board from the guidance computer, that that indicated he had planted it pre-Chameleon Arch and it simply displayed on the computer a planet that was not there. So when the Doctor shot launched the ship, he launched it into the void. To nowhere. Very cruel on the Master's behalf, making the Doctor "responsible"!

I thought about that too. That eeevil bastich.

They're voiced by the same person, Zoe Thorn. I doubt it's significant. The Daleks, the Cybermen, the Nestene Consciousness from the first episode, all of them were voiced by the same fella. If the Toclefane turn out to be the Gelth, I'll be extremely surprised.
BUT those voices were used for that specific character only. There was no other character that sounded like a Dalek but a Dalek. The Troclafane seem to have the same intonation and pattern as the Gelth.

I was more going along the lines that it was Earth being destroyed that would break his heart.

Its the one planet he actually cares about

'We can fight across the stars, anywhere but here Master'

If we've learnt anything across the whole series, its that the one thing that The Doctor truly believes in is Humanity

Correct me if I'm wrong but that "break your heart" stuff was given over by the Master as an answer to the Doctor asking who the Toclefane really were. It seems to apply specifically to that point as opposed to the whole "Die Earthlings Die" problem.

Cool. John Barrowman gets his name above the title.

Ah... They are the Utopians. Wait. "Dystopians," now, I guess. (I'm sure glad they weren't Gallifreyans.)

Holy ****. Boe!

All in all a pretty satisfying season ender.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.