Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Then again, didn't the Eccleston-Doctor not know who he regen'ed into? (I seem to recall him looking into the mirror at Rose's flat.)

Yep. Tweaked his ears, cleaned his teeth and said "Oh well, could have been worse". Oddly enough, the pilot also showed evidence that this version of the Doctor had already had substantial adventures within the recent span of Earth's history, while alone and companion-less. Which seems kind of contradictory to me.

Remember the first few episodes were used to ease new fans and old fans alike into the series. It was litered with little things that would appeal to old fans, but yet not make the new generation feel alienated. They may not hold up in the continuity but hell they worked!

Good point, UK. I think that was actually the reason given why Paul McGann wasn't shown regenerating into Ecclestone, despite the fact that McGann eagerly offered to Russel T. Davies his own cameo experience. They didn't want to confuse the kiddies.

I think most grown fans (myself included) over-estimate the degree to which the show should be taken seriously. It's really aimed precisely at a bright albeit sleepy eight year old boy, not the thirty year old Jon Pertwee fan. To put it another way, I think one's enjoyment of Doctor Who is directly correlated to how often you find yourself hiding behind the sofa when the monsters of the week show up on screen.

Last nights episode Blink was a very well thought out time jumping type episode. Could of had masses of holes, but I thought it held up really well. Elements "borrowed" from the Back to the Future films, but that's all good as far as I'm concerned!

The actress was very good in the main role - can't recall her from any other performances on tv or film. Like Love and Monsters last year, the Doctor and Martha were limited in their appearances, and the rest of the cast really held up the story well. Very clever with the DVD conversation.

i want to know where they were going with the bow and arrows, and what the lizard was.

and i agree, carey mulligan was really good as sally sparrow, but i can't remember seeing her before on TV. that said, i'm sure i recognise her from somewhere, but i'm not sure... :shrug:

next week... utopia. looks good, set at the end of the universe. i wonder if there's a restaurant? :lol:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well done this week. A number of nice touches kept it from being just so-so and pushed it up to a higher level. That bit at the end was a little much for my taste but it would have completely petrified any nearby eight year old kid.

Was the policeman's comments about the TARDIS's dissimilarities from a real police box a complete cut-n-paste from real fandom discussion or was it the result of the show's producers themselves knowing such an obscure fact? Eh. I should just watch the Doctor Who Confidential program to satisfy my urge for behind the scenes info.

It's set up a treat! Last 3 episodes being written by the big man Russell T Davis, Jack's back, and we find out who Mister Saxon is (well some of us may have an idea!!).

Going back to Blink, it took me by surprise. From the preview the week before, I thought it was going to be all set in the house and a bit of a deliberate scary one (bit of padding until the kick ar$e final 3 episodes). To have all that excellent time travel plot in there (it's rare that Doctor Who uses the time travel part of the series to that extent!) was very nice.

Going back to Blink, it took me by surprise. From the preview the week before, I thought it was going to be all set in the house and a bit of a deliberate scary one (bit of padding until the kick ar$e final 3 episodes). To have all that excellent time travel plot in there (it's rare that Doctor Who uses the time travel part of the series to that extent!) was very nice.

Yeah, I forgot to comment. I found this to be a phenomenal episode. Concise, moved quickly and pretty much self-contained; well-written, well-directed and well-acted. In fact, I may use it to introduce friends to the show.

i was very very impressed at how good it was considering its the one not really focusing on the doctor...not that he has to be in it, but i wasnt too fond of the one last season. AND I CANT WAIT TILL THIS WEEKS EPISODE!!!

Agreed - last years one with Marc Warren and Peter Kay (Love & Monsters) felt like something very un-Who-like. Funny moments, but just didn't sit right.

And Ryn - that's a great shout. That episode does work as a great intro to the Doctor.

Wow, that was awesome! What if the whole show operated like this? With the Doctor only being this shadowy figure manipulating things in the back ground? It would be pretty interesting, I think, but I suppose the success of these "Doctor-lite" episodes is predicated on your full knowledge of him.

I love it when the show really makes use of it's time-travel concepts like it does here, Girl in the Fireplace, City of Death and Day of the Daleks.

How about "Utopia"? That Russell T. Davies keeps surprising.

I literally LOL'd at the Yana name reveal. From that point on I was on the edge of my seat.

What an episode! To me that's the best one I've seen since the series restarted.

From the moment the Professor beings out the fob watch, I was just sitting there, open mouthed, looking at the screen!! I had to re watch the episode to see if that ship actually took off ok - I was stunned!!

The YANA reveal was excellent. And Jacobi's acting was sublime. He played such a friendly old man, and then goes into pure psychopath - the scene with poor old Chantho and the cable summed it up!

I had heard whispers of a couple of things that might be happening, but was literally blown away. Nice cliffhanger as well, and the preview of next weeks episode didn't spoil the cliffhanger, which is rare.

Russell T Davies - you sir are a top writer!

Not that I am aware of.

I thought it would be interesting to note that The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, The Girl in the Fireplace and Blink, arguably the best episodes in each season (IMO anyway) were all written by the same person Sephen Moffat who has been commisioned to write a two parter for Season 4.

Thats gotta be good news!

Meh. That was a pretty mediocre episode 'till the reveal at the end. Maybe I only feel that way since the past few episodes have been pretty high quality and I was expecting better.

Russel T. Davies is rather fond of his little word games, isn't he?

Sam Tyler as The Master is a really inspired piece of casting. Back when I first saw the preview shot of him with an airmask stuck to his face and knocking out the opening beats of the show's theme song with his signet ring, well, that was great.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.