Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Also, re that notebook: That will finally shut up those folks who claim that the new series is not in the same continuity as the old one.

Daleks?

Cybermen?

Sonic screwdriver?

Sarah Jane?

K-9?

I didn't say these were rational people! The biggest idea the notebook confirms is that the 1996 TV movie exists in the same continuity as the old and new series. THAt was still being debated on Outpost Gallifrey up until the minute "Human Nature" aired. In fact, I *guarantee* that there is still some poor soul over there still arguing that the TVM is not "canon".

There's a certain irony to hardcore Doctor Who fans getting upset over the inclusion of the Paul McGann '96 movie into continuity when the episode in which it happens contains the very elements they were so pissed about in the first place.

It was a little weird to see the girl from 'Spaced' making out with Doctor Who.

Do you folks count stuff from the episode previews that run in the credits as spoilers? Just in case...

The teaser for the second half of this two-parter showed Doctor Who getting married and later holding a newborn baby. Assuming that 's actually what happens, does this mean that the show is advancing an explanation for one of the 1st Doctor's earliest companions, a little girl who called him "Grandfather"? That'd be cool. Plus, it would give the fans who go crazy over the mere notion of the Doctor having any sexual proclivities an apoplexy to have all this thrown at them in the space of two episodes.

Oh. And I particularly liked the Doctor's elaborate taped instructions to Martha. "I'll be human, so make sure I don't hurt anyone. You know what humans are like."

Interesting, there seems to be lines connecting the first 8 Doctors is some fashion but none connecting the new series Doctor's to the classic series Doctors. The new series Doctors [9 & 10] are even on a seperate page. Perhaps something to hint at the ideas I've seen that the new series is a seperate 'universe'.

Following on from R.CAllen's post...

The teaser for the second half of this two-parter showed Doctor Who getting married and later holding a newborn baby. Assuming that 's actually what happens, does this mean that the show is advancing an explanation for one of the 1st Doctor's earliest companions, a little girl who called him "Grandfather"? That'd be cool. Plus, it would give the fans who go crazy over the mere notion of the Doctor having any sexual proclivities an apoplexy to have all this thrown at them in the space of two episodes.

I had the same thought as well... it would certainly be an intriguing link to the earliest episodes! I think her name was Susan?

There also seemed to be a shot of him and the nurse outside with a gaggle of children of various ages, so I'm not entirely convinced that this will ever come to pass. Unfortunately. It would make things very interesting!

Though if the First Doctor knew that she was his granddaughter, that might suggest the Tenth Doctor already knows what's going to happen, and then we start going round in circles a bit.

I'm looking forward to tonight!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This two-parter is the best it's been for a while. John Smith desperately pleading for his life ("I'm not a story") was a highlight. Especially liked the little sequence where the headmaster went out to parlay with the Family of Blood ("Do you think they'll thank the man who taught them war was glorious?") and the farewell between the Doctor and the nurse.

In regards to my theory, which was based on footage that was some sort of psychic projection or dream sequence, I still think there's some inkling that the show will eventually show Susan's origins. Didn't the Doctor say a few episodes back something along the lines of "I was a dad once"?

What a great story. The flash forward to how John Smith's life might have panned out was very well done. Plus the young lad we later see as an old man at a Rememberance service many years later. You don't expect to see those sort of scenes in this series. Quality writing.

Liked the speculation over Susan - his reference earlier in the series about "I was a dad once" must relate to that. Funny in the 40 plus years the show has been running that they've never expanded on that initial relationship.

Next week is Blink and looks like being the 1 episode of the season where we see limited Doctor (they usually have 1 a year to give the actors a breather). After that - Jack's back!!

There’s an interesting debate going on at the Sci-Fi Channel forum on whether the Doctor was “sadistic” at the end of this episode. I won’t spoil it for those that have not seen it, but I do agree it was cruel. It was justified that he was being merciful at first by running, but when that did not work, he dished out the punishment pretty hardcore.

It seems that post-Time War, the Doctor is not as pacifist as he was in the original series and said as much during “School Reunion.”

On a side note, I do wish the BBC would come out with a one season “Time War” series with Paul McGann. I think McGann would do it since he’s been so involved with the radio series.

There's an interesting debate going on at the Sci-Fi Channel forum on whether the Doctor was "sadistic" at the end of this episode. I won't spoil it for those that have not seen it, but I do agree it was cruel. It was justified that he was being merciful at first by running, but when that did not work, he dished out the punishment pretty hardcore.

It seems that post-Time War, the Doctor is not as pacifist as he was in the original series and said as much during "School Reunion"

I agree to a certain extent. The punishments were severe, but more of a "you get what you asked for" type of punishment.

I disagree about the Doctor not being as much of a pacifist as he was. He still doesn't use weapons - a good example was on the last episode where even his alter ego John Smith could not bring himself to fire his rifle. I know they are different characters, but "there is still good in him" as someone once said.

On a side note, I do wish the BBC would come out with a one season "Time War" series with Paul McGann. I think McGann would do it since he's been so involved with the radio series.

You know that I agree with that!! Would love to see it happen.

No, I think what the McGann-Doctor did during the Time War is what triggered his regeneration. I can't remember if that's just speculation though.

Then again, didn't the Eccleston-Doctor not know who he regen'ed into? (I seem to recall him looking into the mirror at Rose's flat.)

It does - I guess when he kissed her in the first episode, it was a quite a smacker!!!

I mentioned Captain Jack - John Barrowman was on Jonathon Ross' chat show the other week, and they showed a snippet of his entrance back into the Dr Who series which follows on from the Torchwood cliffhanger!

Torchwood series 1 cliffhanger:

(about a minute of chat, then that sound!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eBmlAlX17U

Dr Who series 3, Episode 11 Pre-titles sequence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBzEpkbLcTI

FYI for my fellow Americans:

The latest issue of Entertainment Weekly (the one with Katherine Heigl on the cover) reports that the third season of Doctor Who will be back on the Sci-Fi Channel on July 6.

Then again, didn't the Eccleston-Doctor not know who he regen'ed into? (I seem to recall him looking into the mirror at Rose's flat.)

Yep. Tweaked his ears, cleaned his teeth and said "Oh well, could have been worse". Oddly enough, the pilot also showed evidence that this version of the Doctor had already had substantial adventures within the recent span of Earth's history, while alone and companion-less. Which seems kind of contradictory to me.

Oh, and an aside, does the Martha-loves-the-Doctor seem kinda rushed to anyone else? I mean, I'd expect it to happen but it feels a little early in the game.

I suspect it'll be something of an unrequited crush rather than the full-blown Ross 'n' Rachel fest that was Billie Piper's character. The Doctor won't love her back. But, yeah, too soon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.