anti americanism. really pisses me off.

yolande

Ryn:

I'm not happy with any national election.

Sorry about that. I think it will be a very long time before you get anyone elected that you might like. Ralph will never get elected.

Ryn:

He's a good example, but FDR doesn't exist in a vacuum. Every President of the 20th Century was meddlesome; some heavy on domestic meddling, other foreign.

Can’t argue when you’re right…errr…correct

quote:

Originally posted by yolande:

"beat=cop" never knew that.

Webster's dictionary:

"beat v. one's assigned or regular path or habitual round: a policeman's beat"

My use was

"If the US is going to treat the rest of the world like its "beat" there will be resentment."

I never realized it was not a commonly used term.

Guest The Wicked God Thanos
Darth Ender:

I really wish people that I somewhat agree with would proofread their post before posting. In my opinion, if you have poor grammar and spelling you lose a lot of credibility before your argument is even made.

Yeah, and I wish people who complain about such things would use proper grammer, too.

Miisa:

quote:

Originally posted by yolande:

"beat=cop" never knew that.

Webster's dictionary:

"beat v. one's assigned or regular path or habitual round: a policeman's beat"

My use was

"If the US is going to treat the rest of the world like its "beat" there will be resentment."

I never realized it was not a commonly used term.

I knew what you meant. I assumed people would know what "beat" meant, too.

Guest The Wicked God Thanos

quote:

Good for you! That’s why we’re cleaning out the swamp one dictator at a time.

Taliban – gone

Yeah the fruitless search for bin Laden continues and squabbling warlords who kill innocents and American soldiers to this day, while boosting Afghanistan to the top of the world list in the way of heron production, sure is a sign of success!

quote:

Saddam – gone

Yeah, and we now have Talabani, yet another murderous thug we will have to remove in several years. When the Iraqis can't even agree on who should be have to park their cars in the sun before even beginning negotiations on drafting a constitution(yup, that is for real), I wouldn't exactly call Iraq more safe or stable for democracy.

quote:

Qadhafi – toothless

Um.. Bush can't claim this on his resume. He has been toothless since Reagan dropped a bomb on his house in '86

quote:

OBL – in a cave.

...and still communicating with al quaeda and his right hand mand, zarcaowi, who has personally ordered and directed several deadly attacks recently. The failure to capture bin Laden is the worst falure of the war on terror. Every breath bin Laden draws mocks the US, and degrades further Americas already dwindeling credibility. By remaining out of our grasp, Bin Ladin has encouraged hundreds of thousands of would-be terrorists for generations to come, ad has shown the world that he can attack the US for less than a million dollars, and have the US pay out $300 million, and still not be able to capture him.

quote:

Egypt – elections coming

Yeah and the people who will likely win right now are even more anti american. way to go!

quote:

Lebanon – people take to the streets,

Yeah shiite fundementalists bent on the destruction of the United States is a god thing, huh? unimpres

quote:

Syria, leaves after 20 years

Next up Syria

Oh? Two unfinished wars aren't good enough for you?

quote:

And then Iran…where ‘the people’ love Americans

Yeah I heard that one before. In fact about 2 years ago. laugh They were supposed to through flowers in the streets and greet us as liberators in Baghdad, and the oil would flow, and pay for everything. laugh

"Anti-American" is used for people as diverse as those who seek to destroy or undermine the institutions of American imperialsim to those who are lumped there merly for speaking French. It has also been famously used about left-leaning Americans.

Generally speaking, it is a convenient term that can be thrown at anyone who dares criticize the US or presumes to favor another culture over McAmericanization, thus effectively branding them sympathisers of terrorism, oppression and other nasty things.

I'm not anti-american in some senses, as I believe that (and am not suprised/offended when) America should be able to defend itself and/or promote its own interests in the way that every other nation does.

However, I am anti-american in the sense of perceiving the world (nations, people, political entities etc.) somewhat differently from a lot of Americans. I think flagwavingpledgeofallegiancenationalanthem patriotism is naff & absurd. I am staunchly individualistic/bloody minded, and I despise those who think citizens of country X must conform to some manufactured concept of national character/identity/whatever (and label dissenters as anti-X or un-X).

The sad thing is that most of them just don't know how strange their worldview and narcissistic/idolatrous veneration of their culture and/or political institutions (USA! USA! etc.) appears to the rest of the world. It's like living with a housemate that leaves the toilet seat up or sticks butter & crumb encrusted knives into pots of jam (making it go off) instead of using a clean knife or spoon. Nothing in their upbringing has told them that such things might not be so wonderful after all...

I'm partly anti-American, but I'm not going to be an extremist about it.

I dislike America's attitude towards the world. In fact, it pisses me off so much sometimes, I'd just punch the next American I see. Thankfully, no American has crossed my path during these fits of rage yet.

I HATE their hypocrisy.

I dislike their attitude of "We're first, screw you all."

I'm utterly pissed of by the stupidity I see from some Americans.

I am even more pissed off by how stupid Americans go around suing people like it's the American Way.

I am absolutely outraged by their audacity to tell the world that they were the liberators of the world during WWII. Well **** YOU.

RavEMasteR:

I HATE their hypocrisy.

As apposed to everyone else’s hypocrisy? Like the French in the Congo…

RavEMasteR:

I dislike their attitude of "We're first, screw you all."

Yeah that one is hard to take.

RavEMasteR:

yeah I know, I deal with it every day. Did you know that about half of all Americans finished in the bottom 50% of their class in school? Bell curves are a *****.

RavEMasteR:

I am even more pissed off by how stupid Americans go around suing people like it's the American Way.

But it is the American way

RavEMasteR:

I am absolutely outraged by their audacity to tell the world that they were the liberators of the world during WWII. Well **** YOU.

You’re right. We really mucked that one up. Let’s say we just give your country back to the Japanese. That sounds fair.

On the topic of defing anti-Americanism, I found this idea by Noam Chomsky:

quote:

The concept "anti-American" is an interesting one. The counterpart is used only in totalitarian states or military dictatorships... Thus, in the old Soviet Union, dissidents were condemned as "anti-Soviet." That's a natural usage among people with deeply rooted totalitarian instincts, which identify state policy with the society, the people, the culture. In contrast, people with even the slightest concept of democracy treat such notions with ridicule and contempt. Suppose someone in Italy who criticizes Italian state policy were condemned as "anti-Italian." It would be regarded as too ridiculous even to merit laughter. Maybe under Mussolini, but surely not otherwise. Actually the concept has earlier origins. It was used in the Bible by King Ahab, the epitome of evil, to condemn those who sought justice as "anti-Israel" ("ocher Yisrael," in the original Hebrew, roughly "hater of Israel," or "disturber of Israel"). His specific target was Elijah.

It seems that to define "Americanist" one has to look at how the mainstream feels of thinks, and at what is the "commonly done thing", and anyone who thinks or does things differently is thus anti-American. One often-used variation of that is that anyone who was anti-slavery back when slavery was legal and accepted was thus automatically also anti-American.

Now I finally understand Bush II's comment on how he didn't consider atheists citizens...

quote:

Originally posted by Obi-Wan Cannoli:

I thought it was Bush Sr. who said he didn't consider atheists citizens...?

By Jove, you are right! I wrote II out of habit!

Although I see the Bush dynasty through a somewhat fuzzy lens, I think I can still tell them apart, and I am pretty sure I don't confuse them too much with Georgie III, for now... laugh

Word RaveMAster.

If I hear once more about how the US saved the world in ww2 I think Im going to scream. Its as if they single handedly saved the world from the Germans and Japanese. And thanks to American war movies, where there is no accurate representation of what really happened, people buy into that ****. Where in reality, if the war had stayed in Europe and North Eastern Asia the USA would have happily stayed un involved in the conflict.

But thats beside the point, and kinda belongs in the past. I think alot of Anti American sentiment these days is deserved. Not all of it of course, but a lot yes.

tsquare:

As apposed to everyone else’s hypocrisy? Like the French in the Congo…[qb]

Thanks for trying to divert the attention, but you gotta do better than that.

The Americans have been hypocrites, time and again, like the French had been, or the Russians, or the Chinese, or the Japanese, or...

Nevermind. You get the idea.

However, American hypocrisy irritates me the most because they're just so blatant in nature. For the other nations, there could be a logical argument to it. American hypocrisy, on the other hand, just sticks out like a sore thumb, which could relate to the stupidity I mentioned previously.

quote:

yeah I know, I deal with it every day. Did you know that about half of all Americans finished in the bottom 50% of their class in school? Bell curves are a *****.

You are well aware of what you just said right? Of course half of all Americans finish in the bottom 50% of their classes, because half = 50%.

quote:

[qb]You’re right. We really mucked that one up. Let’s say we just give your country back to the Japanese. That sounds fair.

I would personally prefer to live under their rule given the choice between your democracy and Japanese dictatorship.

Besides, Japan turned out to be one of the world's strongest economies, and it's definitely better than what we have here.

Oh, in some people's viewpoints, the Americans DID defeat Japan, but those who "liberated" us were the Brits, not you. And no, your country's efforts meant little to the European side of the war, where most of the fighting was. Your country was merely part of the force. You guys didn't ****ing own the team.

Fat_Gut_Strut:

Word RaveMAster.

If I hear once more about how the US saved the world in ww2 I think Im going to scream. Its as if they single handedly saved the world from the Germans and Japanese. And thanks to American war movies, where there is no accurate representation of what really happened, people buy into that ****. Where in reality, if the war had stayed in Europe and North Eastern Asia the USA would have happily stayed un involved in the conflict

But thats beside the point, and kinda belongs in the past. I think alot of Anti American sentiment these days is deserved. Not all of it of course, but a lot yes.

so now ya'll are complaining about us not intervening!!!!! yes actually we would have stayed out of ww2 if we hadnt been atacked at Pearl Harbor. and yes actually that would have changed the way the world is today if we had stayed out.

and by the way would you mind telling be who was winning before the us came into the war? because to my knowledge it was Germany and Britian was the last country standing in hittlers way and the only reason they werent captured also was because of the english channel and because he was fighting on two fronts.

and since you find american envolvenment to be so futial in ww2 how exactly do you think it would have ended up if we hadnt interveaned?

and why exactly are you complaning about how americans wouldnt have interviend if we wernt attacked !!! isnt that what you people want for us to become issolationists again and stop meddling!!! why wont you make up your minds already.

RavEMasteR:

RavEMasteR:

As apposed to everyone else’s hypocrisy? Like the French in the Congo…[qb]

Thanks for trying to divert the attention, but you gotta do better than that.

The Americans have been hypocrites, time and again, like the French had been, or the Russians, or the Chinese, or the Japanese, or...

However, American hypocrisy irritates me the most because they're just so blatant in nature.

right so our hipocracy is different. ok got that but its better to just come out and say somting rather than dance around the point. if you dont say somthing people wont hear it and even then if it isnt bold some people wont comprehend it. Better to be understood and offend than missunderstood and cause even bigger problems

quote:

and if half of all americans finished in the bottom 50% didnt half of all americans finish in the top 50%!!!!!!!! what an astounding fact. but you can do that to every nation in the world becasue there is always an upper 50 and a lower 50.

[qb]You’re right. We really mucked that one up. Let’s say we just give your country back to the Japanese. That sounds fair.

I would personally prefer to live under their rule given the choice between your democracy and Japanese dictatorship.

Besides, Japan turned out to be one of the world's strongest economies, and it's definitely better than what we have here.

right and you think that every country in the world would be exactly the same as it is now?!?!? right, so if the US didnt intervened Hittle would have disapeared, the ussr would never have exsisted and while we are at it lets just whip out all the other events from WW2 to now becasue the would never have happened if WW2 events didnt take place as they did.

Those events are what formed the current.

Oh, in some people's viewpoints, the Americans DID defeat Japan, but those who "liberated" us were the Brits, not you. And no, your country's efforts meant little to the European side of the war, where most of the fighting was. Your country was merely part of the force. You guys didn't ****ing own the team.

yeah it was a group effort but i have never heard any american say that it wasnt. and just for your information it was not only the brits who "liberated" it was multiple countries.

and just for your information the commander over all the troops durring WW2 was american later president Eisenhower. and as a commander he worked with every part to make the forces work together and win which they did.

tsquare:

tsquare:

wait what

r u 4 reel that half of all Americans were in the bottom half of their class? OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE IT.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.