anti americanism. really pisses me off.

yolande

I ve traveled abrod and listened to my friends and in each instance there is a lot of anti american feeling. this is coming from an american (im not quite sure where this forum is based out of, so thats just to clarify). Durring our last election I had alot of my friends say "im moving to canada if bush wins'. well unfortinatly none of them left

but the responce to things people dont like in my generation seems to be leave and lets hope its better some where else. how dose that really help? if somthings wrong fix it dont run. although if the democrats who said lets go to canada did actually leave i would have paid for their trip. but thats besides the point.

a lot of anti-americanism comes from the war and bush policies. but i think the anti american movenment has more to do with america than bush a lot of people do not approve of him or his policies but i think the anti has been going on for much longer that his era.

I think it relates to durring the aftermath of WW2 and the Cold War when america emerged as one of the two main world powers, Russia and the USA.

With this new power came a lot of responsability which caused the american government to have to make desissions that did not always come out in favor of all parites/ countries. At one point or another america has made some dession or or judgement that has offended some country in some way which causes people to be pissed at us. well fine.you cant always rule with the majority.

not to say that america rules the world but as a world power you end up making alot of choises that alter the course of history and other countries.

If you go back in time and look at the british empire, or any other large empire for that matter, and look at the political and public opinions of that time they would look alot like the attitudes that are bing dirceted at america now.

because at that time the british were the biggest, best and strongest which letterally enable them to do almost anything they liked which however cocky it sounds is the position american is in now.

Although we are curently a debtors nation the UN has little power Russia and China are no longer a threat and South america has never been a threat.

People always tend to blame authority when things go bad. for example look at when how WW2 started.

the economy in Germany was bad and people were being layed off by their bosses and couldnt get loans from the banks. While each of these eastablishments were owned by jewish people. the workers blamed the bosses and the bankers for their loss of job and home rather than the economy and the treaty of Vesailles which pushed the enormous reperations on Germany. the people blamed the bosses rather than the obsurd foreign policies that pushed all countries after WW1 into depresson.

just as the workers blamed their bosses for their troubles. Today people see american intervention and when things are going well than its fine but as soon as somthing falters then everthing is the americans falt becasue they should have been able to predict this naturally their sapoused to be the best. while suprise suprise we are human too and a littler corperation would really help to get programs running so that people can be helped rather than be blamed.

after all it is your country. what is with hating america yes were there and yes you dont like us i compleatly understand i would hate every soilder that ever set foot on american soil but like the Japanease after WW2 the better you comply the quicker you can have rule of your country back. McCarthy was incharge of getting Japan's government changed after WW2 the Japanese were very compliant becasue they relized the sooner they agreed the sooner the american troops would leave. while yes occupying troops are bad and really pissoff natives but by harrassing them do you really think they will leave? has that ever made and american leave? we re as stuborn as a hell! and movenment ,action or dessiosion americans make has not always been resulting in compleate and total world distrucition. like any other country we have made bad dessiosions but dose that really deserve the scorn of every other country to always be directed at us!!!!!!!!?

and thats just the forign antomaosity there is alot of desention in america over the elections and the tension between the republicans and democrat policies really seem to be heating up to the point that the country appears to be torn with anti america in america because some one isnt getting their way or their party isnt in power. while thats how the system of democracy works you have to work threw it in order to get what you want rather than complain and threat and shout about unfairnes and injustice .

What do you mean by authoritarian meddlers?? I know what the words mean and know my deffinition of them but what did you mean by them? Example please.

_____

Wwhen did I say Anti-Bush made Anti-American?? I said there was a lot of Anti-American steming from Anti-Bush but I did not say Anti-Bush=Anti-American. There is always a loosing side in an election.

Ryn:

Ryn:

SORRY. About the spelling and errors

Aw, Ender's just being a grammar N*zi.
Sorry, I used to be a TA at KU. I used to read term papers to pay some of my way through school. Just giving the person a heads up.

And who for enders?

_____

For a rough translation <<laissez faire>> means hands off. this was praticed by

Warren G. Harding (1921-1923)

Calvin Coolidge (1921-1923)

Herbert Hoover (1929-1933)

The blame for the Great Depression is mainly set on Hoovers becaue durring WW1 he was the head of home policies which made him qualified for the presidancy. With that experience Hoover had the ability ease the Great Depression for the common people rather than praticing hands off and beliving that the economy would work itself out rather than continue to spiral.

as shown by FDR's New Deal which helped the people threw his "Alphabet-Soup" project, governmental intervention dose help. FDR didnt stop the Depression ( it took WW2 to do that ) but he did help ease it for the people with projects such as the Civilian Conservation Corp, the Agricutural Adjustment Act, and the WPA and the PWA.

I can understand the recent increase in ant-Americanism, and would say the bulk of it has occurred under GWB. He has taken American arrogance to new heights, the foreign sentiments are a reaction to that.

---not to say that america rules the world but as a world power you end up making alot of choises that alter the course of history and other countries.---

Exactly. And if it decides to make those choices rather than stay out of it then expect hostility. If the US is going to treat the rest of the world like its "beat" there will be resentment. Get used to it.

Perversely, I miss the USSR; it made American motives seem more altruistic.

I understand where your coming from with the GWB "new heighths" thing but its not really true. Since the last war we were in america has not really had much foreign intervention past the norm. (Except for help programs to other nations like Peace Corp type of work but that has been ongoing since the 60's JFK era)

America, during the Cold War (which is where I belive at least most of the anti-american feelings arose from originated) was a busy body working out of the fear of a communistic take over since half the world was communistic and Europe was still weak since it was the grounds of WW2 and it had to litteraly rebuild its economy (agriculture was bombed, industry was bombed etc.)which made it vurnable to a communitst take over. Whether this was logical or not is not the point it was the beilf at the time which the govenment acted upon.

Yes I admit america did over extend itself during this time out of fear technically it didnt have a right to be in Korea or Vietnam and technically it didnt need to monitarily support Turkey and Greece. But after the Cold War ended and The USSR colapsed American intervention came to a stand still while resentment continued.

only begining again when we were attacked. which i dont see how we can be blamed for that.

And how exactly do we treat the rest of the world like they are beat?

And throughout American history America is never the one to attack first there has always been a cause which moved the americans or some kind of action which justified in the americans minds at least retaliation. Or if there wasnt such as in Panama when we wanted to build the Panama Canal we later purchased it for a lot of money more than it was worth (without the canal naturally)also we gave mexico money after the mexican war i belive for so land or somthing (im a bit fuzzy over that fact but we did give money to them for somthing we felt guilty over)

During the Cold War America was motivated by fear we gave aid, monitarily, to anyone who was "resisting the communistic threat" which included Greece and Turkey.

the two main military conflects were The Korean conflect (not called a war) and the Vietnam War.

The justification for the vietnam war was given in the Tilden Gulf Resolution where LBJ said that the N. vietnemesase shot an American battleship. the details of this incident are a bit fuzzy and the truth may be that the North Vietnemease fired in self defence but it has never been proven either way. THis was the justification that america needed and afterthe Tilden Gulf Resolution combat troops and american intervention in Vietnam increased greatly.

This is really a self created justification which is why i bring it up, so it cant be thrown at me later the. Vietnam War and Korean Conflect are really the two interventions of the USA that either have self proclaimed justifications or no justification. Any resentment from these conflicts is to be expected.

Resentment from the Latin America is also to be expected because under the Monroe Docteranin and the Roosevelt Corallary there have been multiple instinces of American intervention.

But never in the corse of history has america declaired war on another country by outright attacks. all major wars except for the two above were provoked.

___---not to say that america rules the world but as a world power you end up making alot of choises that alter the course of history and other countries.-

with this remarke you can replace american with any other country Britan, France, Iraq, Russia, China that has ever been the world power and have it still be a true statement of that era.

How exactly do americans act as if they beat the rest of the world? exact examples please.

and if you say that america is not the world power , than who is and prove it.

quote:

Originally posted by yolande:

And how exactly do we treat the rest of the world like they are beat?

A beat. As in world cop. Telling people how it thinks they should behave and feel, and bully them into complying.

As for the military stuff:

Instances of the United States overthrowing, or attempting to overthrow, a foreign government since the Second World War

Very few conflicts have had declarations of "war" by congress, and thus most are "not wars".

"beat=cop" never knew that. Where are you from? England?

_____

Yes i know all that but as the title says after WW2 which equals Cold War which means hight of amerian busy body.

how bout an example of us intervention before or after the cold war not including the Panama Canal incident or the mexican one which i cannt remember the name of because we paid them off and i already named them.

Hey if America went back to isolationism like they did pre-WW1, I would have no problem.

yolande, there is a problem with you arguement about the post-WW1 era. For the most part it was one of the most prosperous times after war in American history. The problem was is not that the Presidents practiced "laissez faire" it was because of buying stock on margin, and uneven distribution of wealth towards the end of the 20's.

quote:

yolande:

Wwhen did I say Anti-Bush made Anti-American?? I said there was a lot of Anti-American steming from Anti-Bush but I did not say Anti-Bush=Anti-American.

Well, in your original post, you ranted about how much your Democrat friends dislike Bush and his policies. Then you used the term "anti-American" to describe them. If you don't want people making the connection that anti-Bush = anti-American, then provide a few examples of anti-American behavior. You mentioned people threatening to move to Canada, but then you said they didn't actually move. So, I guess you're saying the threat alone makes them "anti-American."

Got anything else you'd call "anti-American" that doesn't somehow relate to people disliking Bush, or is that all?

Obi-Wan Cannoli:

quote:

yolande:

Wwhen did I say Anti-Bush made Anti-American?? I said there was a lot of Anti-American steming from Anti-Bush but I did not say Anti-Bush=Anti-American.

Well, in your original post, you ranted about how much your Democrat friends dislike Bush and his policies. Then you used the term "anti-American" to describe them. If you don't want people making the connection that anti-Bush = anti-American, then provide a few examples of anti-American behavior. You mentioned people threatening to move to Canada, but then you said they didn't actually move. So, I guess you're saying the threat alone makes them "anti-American."

Got anything else you'd call "anti-American" that doesn't somehow relate to people disliking Bush, or is that all?

Cannoli I've got to admit, online anyway, your a real respectable guy, when insulted, instead of going into sterotypes, you well, I don't know how to word it, but keep it up, and teach me how to do it. yes

Ryn:

I love America. I hate authoritarian meddlers.

Good for you! That’s why we’re cleaning out the swamp one dictator at a time.

Taliban – gone

Saddam – gone

Qadhafi – toothless

OBL – in a cave.

Egypt – elections coming

Lebanon – people take to the streets, Syria, leaves after 20 years.

Next up Syria

And then Iran…where ‘the people’ love Americans

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.