Back To The Future...

jason rellik

I agree with that too. I mean it is one of the only times he and Marty were alone with no witnesses. Not to mention, the Biff character always seemed to have a few loose screws. I believe Biff thought he could have honestly gotten away with murder in that tunnel if it wasn't for Doc.

As mentioned before, I love the little references of change, due to Marty doing something:

-Twin Pines Mall becoming Lone Pine Mall

-Shonash (sp?) Ravine becoming Clayton Ravine becoming Eastwood Ravine

And how about some props for Michael J. Fox? Not only did he play Marty, he played Marty's son, daughter and great, great, great grandfather Shamus (sp?).

I liked the time periods of town square and the clock tower changes. Then that time paradox one when Marty sees Marty seing Marty at the dance-the last one had to avoid being seen by the previous one.

Then this dialog:

Lou: You gonna order something, kid?

Marty McFly: Ah, yeah... Give me a Tab.

Lou: Tab? I can't give you a tab unless you order something!

Marty McFly: Alright, give me a Pepsi Free.

Lou: You want a Pepsi, PAL, you're gonna pay for it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepsi_Free

3 & 6 years to go...:

And how about some props for Michael J. Fox?  Not only did he play Marty, he played Marty's son, daughter and great, great, great grandfather Shamus (sp?).

He also played Marty as a 40-year-old.

And you have to give the same props to Thomas Wilson. He played:

-Biff

-Biff as an old man when he was a bully to George

-Biff as an old man when he's subservient to George

-Biff as an old man who has power and money to do whatever he wants (including getting away with murder)

-Biff as a grandfather

-Biff's grandson Griff

-Mad Dog Tannen

My favorite lines all mostly come from Biff (or his relatives):

"That's about as funny as a screen door on a battleship."

"It's leave, you idiot, leave! Would you say it right, you sound like a damn fool when you say it like that."

And my very favorite:

Mad Dog: "Forfeit? What does that mean?"

Mad Dog's henchman: "It means you win without a fight."

Mad Dog: "Without shooting? He can't do that?!?! Hey you can't do that!!!!"

Doc Brown:

What I don't understand is why so many people hate the third one... I found it enjoyable, to say the least. The Trilogy as a whole is a classic peice of cinema!

I don't know why people dislike the third one so much. It's my favorite western movie of all time.

I liked the third one-with ZZ Top shown and the Instrumental version of Double Back was done (which I liked better.) It also had everything come together too. Perhaps those who don't like it don't like westerns.

Oh, would you believe the anniversary of the first one - it is 20 years old. I noticed where some theaters are showing it around parts (I'm at work so can't get the website-it is bttf one...)

I love these films too. Plan on picking up the set on DVD sometime. I thought of course, the first was by far the best. I loved that film, and would put it as one of my favorite movies ever.

The other two were good too. The second one was pretty good, and the third was decent, althought by far my least favorite of the series.

Thanks to this thread I've been motivated to do the BTTF marathon, and in addition to the great pleasure of again enjoying these films, I noticed some new things...

Even though he's the main character and occupies the most screentime, Marty isn't the most pivotal in either film. He's the one that has to set the pieces in motion but its up to other characters to act on it so he can achieve his goal.

In 1 it was George McFly that had to evolve and become a man. If he doesn't, Marty will either go back to his white-trash family existence, or at worst not exist at all. Marty sets up the plan, but ultimately it's George's own personal choice that helps Marty to succeed.

In 2 Biff was the most important character because the whole 2nd half of the film is about him and all the events occur BECAUSE of him. We also see four different variations of Biff's character in the film, more than anyone else (unless you count Fox's costume changes when playing different family members). This time around Biff's choices, while detrimental to our heroes, are just as important to the story. The difference being that Marty has to intervene because Biff's choices affect the staus quo.

In 3, even though Marty probably has his highest personal development here, the story is largely about Doc and his choices. Doc's need for companionship begins to hinder Marty's mission and it's Marty that has to pull him back in line and remind him of why the time machine was built in the first place (ie, not for personal gain). Marty cannot succeed without the Doc, and again it's Doc's own choices that affect the final outcome.

Interestingly, both 2 and 3 show their character focus during the opening credits (in 2 we see Biff watching the Delorean flying away, and in 3 the camera takes us inside and around Doc's house).

What each have in common is that Marty is there, almost as the conscience of these characters and either helping or hindering them to achieve their goals. But for Marty to succeed, he is dependent on the actions and choices of one other person in each film. I just thought that was pretty cool.

If you think about it, while hardly mentioning the word these films say so much more about choice than the overbloated Matrix sequels ever could.

Yeah, after I posted, I remembered Fox playing the 47-year old version of Marty. Of course, Thomas F. Wilson (Biff) should get props, too.

I loved Part III. I don't know why people think it was bad. From the finding the Delorean in the abandoned mine that they had to blast open (Buried there for 70 years; that was cool), to the suspense of Doc/Clara making it to the Delorean on time. Beating Mad Dog's ass and learning to not care what people think (Flaw, when fixed, saved his future). Just great stuff.

• 2 years later...

I was going to start a new topic entitled:

November 12, 1955 - some sort of special significance or just an amazing coincidence??

with the subtitle:

Back to the Future predictions, setups and expectations

but I decided to just put it in here:

From Back to the Future part 2: Old Biff from the Future (not the NN user) steals the Dealorean time machine from 2015, takes it back to a point in the past to give a Sports Almanac containing scored from sporting events from 1950-2000, and gives it to himself, so he can bet on the now-known results and become rich and eventually powerful. Protagonists Doc and Marty are astonished to find out that the date he stole the time machine and took it back to was November 12th, 1955 - the same date the final events of the first Back to the Future movie take place.

Doc mulls whether that date has some sort of special cosmic significance in the space-time continuum. Or he thinks it could be just one big, amazing coincidence.

What do you think?

I think there's a lot to be said about the cosmic significance angle, considering what we know about history, whether revisionist, or just taking an overall glance at what the world was like before the mid-1950s and how it was and what's happened since then.

Although coincidental, I just thought that Old Biff didn't know much about the Time Machine (only that it Was a time machine - remember, at the beginning, Marty has to be shown by Doc how it works, and even then, he's not sure and fully careful unless he's paying attention - like when turning the time circuits on while shifting gears (to see if the bastards can do 90(mph)) - and that Old Biff just went to a date that was in the system. He didn't select the date, nor was it cosmic significance (although the romantic in me would like to believe that), and not just pure coincidence, although more of this latter form of explanation. Later, the display is malfunctioning somewhat (Doc hits it, mentioned 'gotta fix that thing') and I think the display just reverted to a time it showd before and Old Biff just took it thinking it was a fine (automatic) selection.

One of the greatest moments in at least my cinematic viewing history is Marty riding off on his skateboard while "The Power Of Love" plays. I can confirm that none of you are as awesome as McFly in this scene.

I certainly tried to be as I rode my bike fast through the streets, channeling the wind through my orange and yellow wind-breaker, while listening to the soundtrack on my Walkman. :D

Sometimes, thinking you're as cool as your favorite movie character is as good as being cool.

Right? :hmm:

I remember as a kid going to see a film called Young Einstein (don't ask - I was a kid but I should have known better!) and one of the trailers that came on was for BTTF 2 - totally blew me away as:

a) the first one was one of my fave films and

b) I had no idea it was due out soon!

Totally ruined the film I was supposed to watch as I was damn excited about BTTF 2!!

First film is the best for me, but I love the plot of the second one - plus I wanted a hover board. But that's a no brainer. Also, when he goes to 2015, it's my birthday, and Marty's last day in 1885 is by brother's birthday. That was a little coincidence. I'm sure the writers didn't put that in there deliberately though. :lol:

That was a little coincidence

Unbelievable that old Zemeckis could have chosen those two particular dates. It could mean that those dates inherently contain some sort of cosmic significance, or if they were someone important's birthdays in the space-time continuum; on the other hand, it could all be one amazing coincidence.

In retrospect, and after watching all three, what stands out to me the most is just how frickin' good of an actor the unheralded actor playing Biff is!?!

Seriously, I'm surprised we didn't see a lot more of this guy. He played ALL ages and maturity levels of his character very effectively, especially the old, old man in the 2nd film, and then again as the all powerful and rich mogul midway through the same film.

Poor guy got lost in the shuffle with superstars MJF and Christopher Lloyd.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.