Back To The Future...

jason rellik

Delorean i know your going to be visiting here..

my favurite was obviously the first one.. though the other two were damn good too.

thought the johnny b. goode was a great way to end his adventure with his past parents.

the second one i think was my least favourite just because.. i think i liked it better when they went into the past rather than the future. but were great parts in that movie and one of my favourite things about back to the future is the hoverboard so its still one of my favourite movies of all time. (the first movie being my favourite)

the third one was a great way to finish the series i thought. it left doc brown with a new family and a new time traveling train which is great. my favourite scene in that movie was the scene where Marty shows his skills with the gun and states that he learned to shoot like from the 7-11.

anyways i just posted this after the new boy: crisis had us list our favourite characters.. and Marty McFly is mine.. and apparently yours too Delorean

so... start talkin :)

I love any chance to gush about my favorite movies..

The script to the first Back to the Future is arguably one of the best ever written. There's no point at any point in that script where there isn't an element that advances a charecter, advances the story, or connects with another element.

Back to the Future II is arguably as good. I mean think about it. That movie deals with multiple versions of multiple locations, multiple versions of different charecters, visits three distinct eras (one of which has an alternate version), and still manages to be a fine example of crisp storytelling.

One of favorite movies is the first BTTF (I own the Trilogy on DVD).

I love the fact that the movie captured the zeitgeist (spirit of the times) so perfectly.

Usually only done succeesfully in retrospect a la American Psycho, BTTF manages to capture the greed and dissatisfaction that was going on in the 80's. Only one film does it better and that is Wall Street.

At the end of the first film (and indeed the series) Marty is living with complete strangers for a family and he doesn't care. He now has the family, the girl, the car and the kudos that he always wanted.

Darth D:

I love the fact that the movie captured the zeitgeist (spirit of the times) so perfectly...At the end of the first film (and indeed the series) Marty is living with complete strangers for a family and he doesn't care. He now has the family, the girl, the car and the kudos that he always wanted.

Wow, I had never looked at it that way.

I loved the BTTF trilogy and I thnk it is the best example of what time travel would be like if we could do it--the way events can get changed and shifted, i.e. his parents not meeting and therefore erasing Marty's existence, the alternate 1985 created by the sports book. The film was so great at this even to the most minute detail, such as the Twin Pines Mall changing to the Lone Pine mall. The only films that come close to showing such a believable time travel experience is Terminators 1 & 2 (not part 3!)

While on the subject, whatever happened to that whole defective DVD thing where the widescreen version of the films had not been framed right and Universal was supposed to exchange them for fixed copies? For those that know what I'm talking about (it was a huge discussion on this board years ago when BTTF first appeared on DVD), is all that done? Are all the copies in the stores now fixed? Did they ever actually bother recalling them and putting new ones out? Or if I buy one today will I still get the defective version?

The Back To The Future trilogy is one of the best trilogies IMO of all-time.

The first one is a true new-age classic from so many different perspectives - whether you enjoy it for its work with science, its comedy aspects, its storytelling elements, the action - I once had trouble fitting it into a category of genre ...

Part 1 was terrific, and indeed the dialogue and script are awesome.

Part 2 used to be my fave when I was younger - I felt much like Marty when he arrived in 2015: the future?? Unbelievable. I gotta check this out - and I wanted to check it out. The hoverboard. Those Griff Tannen shoes! Michael Jackson (with his Beat It playing in the background) doing recipes - the Ayatollah and Reagan still arguing, the NO LANDING sign instead of the NO PARKING, the I'm walking here, I'm walking here line reference, the pizza that cooks within five seconds via HYDRATE LEVEL 4, being able to watch six channels at once (and all your father says is 'watchin' a little tv?'), no doorknobs, flying cars, pepsi that cost upwards of 50 dollars, multiple realities, Principal Strickland trying to blow 'slackers' away, Sammy Hagar's I Can't Drive 55 playing while a Tank rolls down a street, automatic dog walkers, I could go on for hours ......

Part 3 was better than I believed at a younger age. Parts of the ending I thought were cheesy, like Doc flying off on the Hoverboard with Clayton, and the train seemed a little too wild, seemed like a set up for the cartoon ......

Robert Zemeckis is underrated IMO. I was remembering his work which he directed ...

Just those he directed:

Romancing the Stone which I liked.

Forrest Gump which was awkward though interesting.

Contact

What Lies Beneath, which wasn't bad. I don't think it was all that good but it wasn't bad.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit, which was a hit.

And if I'm not mistaken he also did The Polar Express.

And of course Back to the Future 1, 2 and 3 ...

I love BTTF. All 3 of them. It is a great story about family and everything. The way Marty changes, George changes. The way Marty is a regular, almost rebellious, teen in the beginning, but when he goes back to 1955 and meets his parents, you can see that he really begins to love their story and his mother and father. The continuity in changing time and everything was so well-thought. The being a mentor to his father: 'If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.' That was cool. The alternate 1985. Just very well thought out. I loved 3, too. Where he meets up with Doc, in 1885. And, finally learns to not give a **** what people think. Which, in turn, really gives his future one hell of a chance. I could on and on...

jason rellik:

Delorean i know your going to be visiting here..

YOU DAMN RIGHT!

These movies are my favorite movies of all time. And I also think the franchise ended on a high note unlike other franchises out there today. So many franchises get run into the ground "to the point of no return".

Back to the Future 1 was awesome. It is great to see Marty in the beginning trying not to be like his father because his father is an apparent loser. Getting bullied, by the same bully, for atleast 30 years of his life is not something anyone can look up to.

And Doc is definately one of the most interesting characters ever. The man lost it all. All of his money, his house, his land, and his best friend is a high school kid. There are backstories to his character where he supposedly burned down his own house for insurance money and then he sold the land to Burger King and surrounding businesses to fund the Time Machine project, which is totally believeable, IMO. I mean, hell, he did rip off a group of Libyan Terrorists which shows he'd go to any lengths to make his dream come true.

And I just love how Lorraine keeps telling her kids that she was a good girl when she was younger. About how never "chased boys or sat in parked cars with boys", only to find out she wasn't the little angel she claimed to be.

I could go on all day about the depth of these characters, but let's talk about the best character, The Delorean. :D But seriously, Most Time Machines in movies are forgettable but this one seems to get alot of praise for being one of the coolest. And it was great at the end of the first flick when Doc Brown says the line: "Roads? Where We're Going We Don't Need...Roads." And then the Delorean takes flight, it has to be one of the coolest moments in cinematic history. Especially how good it looked for its time.

Oh God, even the musical score was perfect! Everytime I hear that large orchestra start playing the score in the movie, I get excited on the inside. It made me a fan of Alan Silvestri, even though he doesn't have many memorable pieces.

I think im gonna watch this movie now! I'll be back with more later!

Guest Amidala777

back to the future is one of my favorite sci-fi/comedy flicks. the 80s soundtrack alone is worth price of admission.

i thought the second one was a fun time, but didn't measure up to the original. never was a big fan of part 3.

I love all the Back to the Future films soo much.

Instant, timeless classics that should not be given any Prequels to Dr. Brown's origins...

...like what happend to Star wars. Ooops, did that slip out.

" 1.21 Gigawatts?! 1.21 Gigawatts. Great scott!"

"What the hell is a gigawatt?"

I just watched part 1. Great Great fun family movie. I know Disney wouldn't agree with me on this. They had their chance to distribute this movie but passed on it because they didn't think a mother falling in love with their son was good enough to be under their belt. IDIOTS!

I really enjoyed the movie.(Go Figure) There were about three scenes in the film that kind of gave me a warm fuzzy feeling or gave me chills.

Scene 1: The part where George is going to the car to stop Marty from "taking advantage" of Lorraine only to find that Biff is there. When Biff told George to close the door and walk away and George said:

"No, Biff. You Leave Her Alone!"

That line was great. The way Crispin delivered it with his nervous shaky voice was great acting, IMO. And it really sold me on the fact he was ready to stand up for Lorraine and himself.

Scene 2: The dancing scene where Marty is playing Earth Angel with Marvin Berry & The Starlighters. And the bully cuts in on George and Lorraine during their pivotal dance scene that holds Marty's life in the balance. And then when George shows up behind the bully and says "Excuse Me" and pushed the bully on the floor and kissed Lorraine. That was kind of cheesy but it hits the spot. And then Marty regained his health and jumped up strumming his guitar. AWESOME!

Scene 3: At the end when Marty is back home talking about how he couldn't go to the lake cause the car was wrecked. And then Biff gives him his keys to his car saying it was all waxed and ready to go. When Marty goes outside to see the Toyota 4X4 that he wanted so badly at the beginning of the film, it made me feel for him. Because you could see that the truck represents his life in a way. It gives him hope that he can get anything he wants, IMO. It's symbolic in that one way.

And the Star Wars reference was great in this film. "My name is Darth Vadar! I come from the planet Vulcan!"

BTTF is almost flawless. Hearing the pitch for it ("Young teenage 80s kid gets thrown back in time to when his parents were kids and has to find a way back") you could imagine the rolled eyes from many Hollywood producers (although the 80s were bigger on tacky ideas, true).

The story itself could've come off the rails at any time, but the script is as solid as you could find. It's not only funny and enjoyable to watch, but the characters are perfectly portrayed, and the story itself contains some very emotional moments, as well as some darker and sinister ones. It's a perfect combination of emotions, and there are so many different themes running throughout the film and each of these has a story arc of it's own. You've got a kid finding a newfound appreciation for his parents, a mad scientist that finds validation in his life's work, and the positive and negative effects of being able to change one's own fate. It's all packaged so tightly and at the end of film 1 there is a definite resolution (the Delorean flying off was supposed to be nothing more than an amusing climax, and it was only after everyone assumed a sequel was coming that they actually considered the idea).

Storywise there are definite parallels between BTTF and SW:

- ANH/BTTF: Both introduce our main characters, and finds the the principal hero being thrown out of his comfort zone into a world he doesn't understand. Much adventure ensues and our hero is seemingly victorious, and ends up stronger and wiser for the experience. Both were intended as stand-alone films.

- ESB/BTTF2: Both films were born from the popularity of the first chapter, and sees our hero on another adventure, but more personal this time around. Rather than simply surviving the events happening around him, he begins to take more control of the events himself (Luke learning the force, Marty taking the Almanac). Overall both films are much darker and take our hero(s) from one ****ed up situation to another. Ultimately both end with down cliffhanger endings involving a traumatic event for our hero(s) that leave you wanting to see the final chapter.

-ROTJ/BTTF3: The "traumatic event" from the last film is quickly removed (Han is freed/Marty finds the Doc), and returns to pure adventure and fun in what is the action-packed climax of the series. Ultimately both films see our heroes having a single opportunity to set things right once and for all and getting things back to normal. Each character has reached the end of their arc and once the story ends there is a feeling that our main characters will kick on and make a difference. Both films are however considered to be the weakest of the respective trilogies.

It's like when Luke has the choice to kill his father at the end of RotJ he chooses not to, securing his fate from the darkside.

And when Marty had the choice to Drag Race Needles and chose not to. He saved himself from making a "dark side" decision and it saved him from turning out a loser like his old man was.

As Biff would say "Great frickin Flick!"

My favorite manure scene would have to be the second one. The tunnel scene leading up to it was so suspenseful. And whenever he grabs onto the rope Doc lowered for him and lifts him up Biff looks so shocked and runs into that manure. And the way he delievered the line like he was crying almost was great.

"MANURE! I HATE MANURE!"

But then again, any of the scenes with Marty being chased while he's on a hoverboard or skateboard was dramatic. This one just really stands out to me. Maybe it is because of the way he flipped over the hood to get the almanac. That was awesome.

Speaking of hoverboards. I wish he would have gotten a Red one instead of a pink one made by Mattel.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.