Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Transformers: movie update...

753 replies to this topic

The Shadow

The Shadow

Resident Kaijuologist

• Members
  • 11,282 posts
There's an update for everyone - part of this was relayed by Oerwinde of SSH! forums [from Don Murphy's forums] the rest I dug out of DM's forum thread.

DM answered some TF movie questions the 17th. [he wouldn't anwser anything that he couldn't or didn't have an answer for]. Here are the questions and DM's answers. There is some editing for language - I'll also be adding in some subsequent discussion. On those additional comments, the original poster is named and what they said is in italics, the regular text portion is Don Murphy's reply.

Murphy noted before the questions that the script is still in flux.

1: Can you name ALL the TF in the movie?

quote:

No I cannot

In John's script there were only 4 on each side...
(massive intake of breath as everyone goes what the %&@#!*^?)
Now the plans are 5 main ones.

Megs...Optimus... of course
Soundwave (no longer a blender) Bumblebee (thanks to Herbie not likely a Bug) Jazz.... Starscream.... RC.....more to come....

comment 1.1

quote:

Originally posted by Angelophile
Arcee?

Now THAT has me going WTF?

DM: Well let's make sure that Don knows what he is talking about...
Is Arcee a very cool motorcycle thingie?

comment 1.2

quote:

Originally posted by Overdrive
I think RC means ratchet, or hope it does anyway.

DM: Interestingly Ratchet is currently there too....
The writers want to make him an ambulance...
Dreamworks doesn't....
And Hasbro actually doesn't mind if he is an ambulance or a firetruck....

comment 1.3

quote:

Originally posted by OptimusPrimeG1
No...Arcee is annoying fem-bot that is a pink cyber car....she IS a motorcycle in the ARMADA and ENERGON series....and me just using those word's makes me ill...I think Hasbro's been doing something naughty.

DM:Then who would be the female motorcycle?

comment 1.4

quote:

Arcee, female Autobot. She was a motorcycle in the latest incarnation of Transformers, yeah.

Which gave rise to lots of jokes about her being the Autobot's main ride, but what can you do?

I'm just surprised at the inclusion of female Transformers, unless Arcee's had a sex change.

DM:Well Spike's new GF needs to have someone....

comment 1.5

quote:

Originally posted by Overdrive
I remember reading in earlier Q&A that Hasbro wanted to have 1 non G1 character in it. I'm thinkin this could be arcee, hell its better than ... hotshot.

DM:No Hotshot is not in the film

2: In the current draft of the script, is there any significant size shifting - ie: a robot shrinking down to less than a quarter of its robot form's size when in alternative form?

quote:

which part of don't ask script questions was unclear?

In the meeting on Thursday Hasbro all but DEMANDED that Soundwave mass shift.... the writers seemed okay with it....

comment 2.1

quote:

Well you answered the question in a way that clarifies it. If Hasbro are behind it, well...

(I still think mass shifting is crappy, but so many people are gonna be pleased by that news).

DM: I do too...
Hasbro seemed anxious to get Soundwave into musical form to unleash Ravage even if it made no sense.

It may only be for like 5 secs the way it sounded.

3: Will the Transformers war on Earth be a hidden war with very few humans knowing about it? I.E. just the witwicky's, Earth military, president etc knowing about it and remaining unseen from the rest of the world. Or will the whole world know of it by the end?

quote:

the reason I discouraged script questions was because things will change 49 times between now and then...

It is currently a hidden war.

4: Skywarp, will he be in the film?

quote:

He is not currently one of the ten

5:Hey Don can you give us to the best of your ablity a time table on how the will movie progress from here like for example the middle of June casting starts or the begining of May official website opens stuff like that. Thanks Don

quote:

Official website ASAP- literally as soon as we can....

Final ten TFs chosen- 3 weeks

Colors/Models of those ten finalized JULY 1

Prep begin Sept 1

Shoot begin Dec 1

all Tentative

6: Is there leeway for the script,as written, to have many other transformers in the background even if they're not named, like unnmaed grunts in a war movie?

quote:

ALL I GET IS SCRIPT QUESTIONS.

The answer is NO.[/b]

7: Concerning the overall story arc (if there is one) are there any plans to keep the Quintessons or have they been ruled out of this particular universe completely? Is that two questions? Don't answer the second one.

quote:

No Quintessions in Movie One.

The movie is gonna be much more of the origina film than it ever was before.

8: Don Can you tell us what vechicles the Autobots and Decepticons will be(Besides Megs, Ratchet, Prime...)

Jazz for example...

quote:

Isn't Jazz a sportscar?

Licenses being worked out now...

9: Are you able to comment on how many "supporting" Transformers might appear in the film? (ie., TF characters that are not part of the main ten, but will make some type of appearance for whatever reason.)

quote:

Currently
ZERO

10: How does Hasbro and Dreamworks feel about having Peter and Frank on board as Optimus Prime and Megatron?

quote:

Honestly guys

Dreamworks doesn't care
Hasbro doesn't care
Desanto thinks it needs to be movie stars
The writers think it needs to be movie stars

I need to get with Bay alone and hypnotize him.

11: Don who is your favorite Transformer?

quote:

Grimbot

Perhaps he meant Grimlock?

12: I know i have asked this b4. With Megs being a tank will you guy's try and make his bot mode look like the G1 incarnation we all remember or something different?

quote:

The weridest thing about the meeting is that ONLY because of this board was anyone trying to protect G1 or the looks of Megs and Optimus. Hasbro doesn't mind what it is as long as they know as soon as possible. Dreamworks is intent on RE-inventing the property. You guys are being heard, but it is tougher now that it was PRE Bay, and it is not Bay it is lots of people trying to get this done. There were 29 people in the room.

13: Has Dreamworks or Hasbro told you to tone down the violence in this film or have they trusted the teams judgement so far in how the action of the film should be?

quote:

Film will be PG or PG-13
beyond that- NO

14: What point of view will the movie be shown through. Will it be like Iron Giant with the Human being the lead character or will it be the other way around?

quote:

A TEAM of humans, ala Independence day

15: Will the Transformers HEADS look the same as the Original G1 Cartoon/Movie?
This is so we can recongize them without their names.

quote:

Chokkei Blows

(but probably)

The CB was his "Can't really answer that response

16: Has Speilberg been particularly hands on on this project or has he just been "big studio exec" man?

[quoteRidiculously hands on

He hired Rogers
He hired Kurtzman/Orci
He grabbed Bay

Like- wtf am I doing in endless meetings with this guy?

17: Will the Decepticons have antigravity capabilities?

Or will it be limited to characters who have flying alt-modes?

quote:

Currently NO

19: Don...are their any ideas who to get for the Special Effects.

Any name drops?

quote:

Bay will likely hire ILM

like 90%

20: So did you encourage others at the meeting to visit this sprawling, fan-centric forum and see for themselves the depth of fan feeling on many of the issues?

Or do most of those involved in the making of this movie not really care about appeasing long term fans?

You seem to be happy to walk the middle ground. Hasbro seems happy to go where it's led and Dreamworks seem to be waning to change elements that fans want untouched. Is that a fair synopsis?

quote:

Actually the entire trick will be once Michael is on to get him engaged about things that MUST be kept sacrosanct.

21: Ok so, when we finally meet the Autobots, will they have their own "individuality", their own personality?

Or will it be more like, "Must kill Decepticon....." *BAM*

quote:

Personalities
Characters
Beauty

22: Is the Matrix still a strong part of the story line?

quote:

HO YES

[/b]

23: So can you tell us why the Autobots have been on the planet for so long(1984)

How many other background characters (Autobots & Decepticons) do you forsee towards the end of Movie one and into Movie 2 and 3?

quote:

No idea about film 2 and 3
and it was sounding in that room like the Autobots may have been here since at least biblical times

24: Anyhow is bumblebee really not got be a VW beetle because of Lohan and the crappy new Disney herbie movie, or have i just lost my mind?

quote:

That's what the writers said....

25: Just curious since it sounded like Steven was a "fan" - you said he had the mythos down cold.

Just interested how much of this idea of "re-imagining" came from him and how much was studio dictated.

quote:

Steven and the writers are driving the story
at the moment

26: Soundwaves minions won't apply towards the Decepticon count, they are considered a "part of him"

27: Hasbro is not demanding a female Transformer [ArCee] The writers put her in

[b]28: Murphy continues to fight for Peter Cullen and Frank Welker to do the voice work for Optimus Prime and Megatron

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

'Member' of the Month.

• Members
  • 6,892 posts
Wow. A lot of info there. Nice job!

Super Dragon

Super Dragon

• Members
  • 4,152 posts
Why? They're going to kill it

Spawnxlite

Spawnxlite

The One and Only

• Members
  • 1,980 posts
Michael Bay is my kind of man. I liked his movies, The Rock, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor and Con Air. These movies all have one thing in common and they are entertainment. They aren't perfect movies, but they are entertaining. Michael Bay did do a good job remaking The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and he was very true to the original. This is evidence that he'll be true to Transformers fans, who grew up watching it. I cant wait to see this son of beetch!

EwoksSuck

EwoksSuck

Til All Are One

• Members
  • 31,462 posts
AICN has some news about the film that if true cause me concern:

1. Michael Bay said "He wants a fresh approach to the Transformers." - That sounds a lot like one of those god aweful "revisionings" they do in Hollywood when they try to turn a cartoon/comic into a live action film. It almost always leads to horrible film that neither orginal fans or general audiences enjoy.

2. George Clooney is rumored to be the top choice for the voice Optimus Prime. I've never been that impressed with Clooney as an actor. He's had a few good roles, but overall I don't see him being able to pull off the voice of the most important character in the film with any passion. Let's hope this is just a bad rumor.

The Shadow

The Shadow

Resident Kaijuologist

• Members
  • 11,282 posts
[Vader]Noooooooooooo![/Vader]

Everytime I here Michael Bay talk about what he has planned for the movie I get this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

The man must be daft - the original voice actors for Optimus Prime and Megatron are still working, it's not that difficult of a decision to say "Hey, these guys know what they're doing, they worked on the original series and the last Transformers movie - let's hire them".

Don Murphy seems to be the only one working on the film that actually cares about fan input. At least he's in their pulling for the fans.

EwoksSuck

EwoksSuck

Til All Are One

• Members
  • 31,462 posts
I was expecting them to get big actors to voice the parts to just help lure in a larger general audience but I think Clooney is a bad choice for Prime. I could think of several celebrites that could do a better job. Sure they won't sound the same as the G1 Prime we all grew up with but as long the actor does a good job I can handle it.

I think Kiefer Sutherland or Denzel Washington would be a good choice to voice Prime. These are both actors who know how to act with a lot of passion and intensity. I think they could help make the CGI Transformers more believable and "human".

I think it would be cool if James Earl Jones did Megatron. Another good Choice would be Leonard Nimoy, who I'm sure you know voiced Galvatron in the animated film.

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

'Member' of the Month.

• Members
  • 6,892 posts
Did Robert Stack die? What about the original guy that did Prime's and like, a handful of other robot's voices?

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,384 posts
This kind of makes me want to kill myself.

ShadowGhost

ShadowGhost

RAWR!

• Members
  • 4,408 posts
It certainly doesn't give me confidence. I would've loved to see Stack providing voiceovers for the film.

EwoksSuck

EwoksSuck

Til All Are One

• Members
  • 31,462 posts

Blade Runner:
Did Robert Stack die? What about the original guy that did Prime's and like, a handful of other robot's voices?

Stack died. He did Ultra Magnus in the film. The actors that did Prime and Megatron's voice in the G1 cartoon are still alive and still do voice acting. The only voice actor that I know of that died that did a major character in the G1 cartoon is the guy that did Starscream.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
I was hoping they would get Peter Cullen to do Prime again.

EwoksSuck

EwoksSuck

Til All Are One

• Members
  • 31,462 posts
I'm all for that but I never expected it. Studio's like to have big names tied to big films like this.

The funny thing is my little girl has a Winnie the Pooh video and he's doing the voice of Eeyore. I keep waiting for him to say "Autobots Transform and rollout!" lol

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts

EwoksSuck:
The only voice actor that I know of that died that did a major character in the G1 cartoon is the guy that did Starscream.

And Jazz.

lightsabre

lightsabre

no self-respecting man

• Members
  • 8,522 posts
dude starscream died that is so weak

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts

Blade Runner:
Did Robert Stack die?

Unforutnately...I'll never know him ever again for anything but his part in BASEketball.

"Scenario No. 1, he is hanging by his neck in his ****ing closet."

Primbud

Primbud

Good For You

• Members
  • 72,824 posts

EwoksSuck:
I'm all for that but I never expected it. Studio's like to have big names tied to big films like this

They could play it wise and put their resources (monetary and otherwise) in other aspects of the proposed film. The voice of Prime for example can be a small portion of their budget, allowing for them to spend elsewhere to make a better film.

EwoksSuck

EwoksSuck

Til All Are One

• Members
  • 31,462 posts
If it was going to be on TV or even a motion picture produced a few years ago I'd say yes but I think the studios like having a few either big celebrities or a bunch of rising stars in these types of films. The reason they make all of these old cartoons/comics/tv shows etc... into films is because they view it as playing it safe and a sure thing that will make them some money. Adding some known actors to help draw a bigger audience is just another way for them to play it safe.

Primbud

Primbud

Good For You

• Members
  • 72,824 posts
I wouldn't mind that. Thinking back to the Transformers movie from 1986, they did what I sort of propose here - the characters whose voices truly mattered (Megatron, Optimus, etc.) were done by the usuals, but they nevertheless had the famous people in there - Leonard Nimoy, as aforementioned, for Galvatron, Eric Idle, Orson Welles, Robert Stack, Judd Nelson, etc.

Delorean

Delorean

• Members
  • 3,051 posts

quote:

DreamWorks announced recently that they'll be pushing back the release of a live action TRANSFORMERS to July 4th, 2007. The reason cited for the date change came from DreamWorks head of distribution Jim Tharp:

Under the direction of Michael Bay, and with Steven Spielberg executive producing, we know that 'Transformers' is going to be the kind of explosive action movie that is perfect for the height of the summer movie season. By staking our claim on the 4th of July, 2007, we ensure that we not only have the time to make this movie the way it should be made, but also to build excitement and awareness leading up to its release.

As far as I can remember, Michael Bay has been thisclose to directing TRANSFORMERS but hasn't officially signed on. I guess this means he's officially on directing duties for the "robots in disguise." The film will be scripted by Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman (who wrote Bay's upcoming THE ISLAND), who had previously mentioned that they'd be approaching the movie from the human perspective. On a related note, one of the many treats that Comic Con fans will get this year is seeing the unveiling of the official TRANSFORMERS website, which can be found HERE (though it's not active yet). On a final note, despite the movie now being more than a year away, there's already rumors that George Clooney will be providing the voice of Optimus Prime. With SUPERMAN RETURNS filming and people generally getting tired of speculating on who the next Bond will be, it's nice to have another high profile movie to start rumors about.

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,119 posts
Even more worrying times ahead

EwoksSuck

EwoksSuck

Til All Are One

• Members
  • 31,462 posts
Update from the writers of the film
It's a mix bag. The Good News is they are leaning towards the orginial actors from the G1 cartoon to do the voices. The bad news is they are creating new Transformer characters. And it sounds like Megatron will be a Tank and not a gun.

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,424 posts
Well let's face it. It plays off well in a cartoon, but in a live action movie I'd have a hard time believing a 50 foot robot could transform into a handgun.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,398 posts
Honestly, I never liked the gun thing-- even as a kid. None to the scale changing transformers worked in my head-- astrotrain, soundwave, etc

Jedigoat

Jedigoat

Is this it?

• Members
  • 14,184 posts

EwoksSuck:
Update from the writers of the film
The bad news is they are creating new Transformer characters.

New Transformers....DUH! They gotta sell toys, man!

Reply to this topic