Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What was the last DVD you bought?

• Please log in to reply
1847 replies to this topic

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
Sherlock - Season 1

SleepinGiant

SleepinGiant

cinenut

• Members
  • 6,524 posts

How much of a transition have you made into hi-def Blu-ray?

For the time being, very slowly. As with Iceman, I only seem to gear towards Blu just for the added extras that standard DVD isn't allowed to carry. But things seem to have come to a stand-still at this moment. I guess the big deciding moment will come once Dark Knight Rises comes around. I know for sure that The Dark Knight will get released with, not only with possible voucher money, but with Oscar-winning remarks on the packaging (I know that Warner Bros, for years, has been DYING to re-issue the packaging to acknowledge this) but this means that Blu-Buyers might have to double-dip for the first time. OR they could just leave that up to standard-DVD the way they did with the limited box set of Batman Begins.

I honestly feel that this release will assure the fate of Blu and DVD.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
The only thing that will get me to double dip on BB/TDK is DTS HD MA and audio commentaries. I wonder if WB will do what they're doing with the Potter franchise and release TDKR in December, let the inventory go OOP, and in 2013 do a six or seven disc box set of all three films plus additional footage, etc.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
Battling Butler / Go West

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,776 posts
Footloose on Blu-ray - The REAL one, not that lame remake. On Sale at Walmart for $15, but I had Best-Buy price match it.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
Boardwalk Empire: The Complete 1st Season

Evolence

Evolence

Miss Nail Polish

• Members
  • 12,149 posts
I think the most recent DVD was "Home Alone." It used to be a Christmas tradition that we'd watch that movie and "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" on Christmas Eve. I realized that I've owned a copy of "National Lampoon's" for years now; however, the only copy of "Home Alone" was an old VHS at my parent's house.

Prior to that Christmas time purchase, I bought a variety of old children's show DVD's to include:

He Man: Masters of the Universe (Seasons 1 & 2)
Teddy Ruxpin (The complete series)
Muppet Show (Season 1)

fat josh

fat josh

giddy up!

• Members
  • 19 posts
VHS: Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure
DVD: Our Idiot Brother

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
Road to Perdition

SleepinGiant

SleepinGiant

cinenut

• Members
  • 6,524 posts
Dumbo-Combo pack
Friday The 13th Parts I-IV (Deluxe Editions) Ran into this at Wal-Mart for $13. This marks my 3rd-owned copy of Part IV (My favorite part anyway) but it's cool to finally check out the extras for the 1st two and the chance to see Part III in 3-D. Interesting to know that Paramount included the seperate discs for this set. I'm so used to double-sided discs for multiple films much like the way Warner Bros does for these type of sets.

Darth Virul

Darth Virul

The Loin King

• 5,998 posts
Killing season 1.

danger

danger

loves you

• Banned Users
  • 4,201 posts
buy dvds?

Iceman

Iceman

omit myself

• Members
  • 5,328 posts
Pinocchio - 70th Anniversary - Platinum Edition DVD
The Last Unicorn - Blu-ray

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,776 posts
X-Men Origins: Wolverine on Blu-Ray

It was $10 at Wal-Mart and it included a $7.50 credit towards Act of Valor.

Iceman

Iceman

omit myself

• Members
  • 5,328 posts
She's Having a Baby

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,776 posts
Also got X-Men on sale for $10 with the Act of Valor credit.

I already own X2 so I'll have to pick-up X3 to complete the collection. Walmart has it for $15, Best Buy has it for $30 so I'll have them match Wal-mart.

Evolence

Evolence

Miss Nail Polish

• Members
  • 12,149 posts
Moneyball

Iceman

Iceman

omit myself

• Members
  • 5,328 posts
Bambi -Two-Disc Platinum Edition

Iceman

Iceman

omit myself

• Members
  • 5,328 posts
I got some great deals on used Blu-rays off amazon recently.

Kick-Ass ($3)
The Dark Knight ($6)
Trick 'R Treat ($3)

And I also, got some cheap DVDs:

Daybreakers ($0.75)
Poltergeist ($0.75)

Amazon also lowered the price on the Planet of the Apes blu-ray box set a few weeks ago to $24! I had to pick that one up. Some great new featurettes and Conquest now has the original darker ending included.

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,054 posts
So Amazon dot com has the Two-Disc Collectors Edition of The Social Network directed by David Fincher and written by Aaron Sorkin and starring Jesse Eisenberg and Spider-Man for 1.99. That seemed like a fair price to me so I bought it and maybe other people here might be interested in that movie for that price? I don't know.

I'm not sure where this should go but maybe this is the place yes?

Oh, and I bought some more DVDs. It is almost as if they know you will do that and plan accordingly!!!!

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Cabin in the Woods
Dead Man
Zombieland
The Iron Giant
Robin & Marian

They were all like five or six or seven bucks (which seems a kind of okay to me) except for the last one which was more like eleven. That is trending dangerously close to paying full price for the DVD!!!

Iceman

Iceman

omit myself

• Members
  • 5,328 posts
The Tim Burton Collection
TCM Greatest Classic Film Collection: Hammer Horror (Horror of Dracula / Dracula Has Risen from the Grave / The Curse of Frankenstein / Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed) (2009)
The Revenge of Frankenstein
Frankenweenie
Dark Shadows

Lord Darth Hunter

Lord Darth Hunter

Sith Lord of Crystal Lake

• 4,443 posts
I just bought the Back to the Future trilogy on bluray and as I was watching it I realized something. The actors today are now the age that their characters were supposed to be back in the 1985 scenes.

Crispin Glover is 48, Lea Thompson is 51 and Thomas Wilson is 53. It's funny but if Robert Zemeckis was like George Lucas in that he wanted to continue "fixing" his films and everyone was actually up to it, they could go back and CGI themselves into the scenes of adults George and Lorraine McFly and Biff.

For that matter, in part II when they travel to 2015, Michael J Fox and Elizabeth Shue could now play their adult selves in those scenes. That would be a trip to see that.

KanMutwallo2

KanMutwallo2

• Members
  • 54 posts
Ernest Goes to Camp on blueray. The blueray didn't make it any better.