Does anyone know anything about driving for Uber?

Ms. Spam

My brother uses the car I gave my sister for uber. It is in her name. He wants to change the title over to his name and him and my mom are bickering over this. Is it because of liability or is my brother a jerk doing something scummy to my sick sister?

I gave the car to her because I promised it to her and he has been using while she is in the hospital.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't know a lot about Uber, but what I do know is that they have minimum requirements for the vehicles and drivers. Just to name a few, 1. they have to be in your/your spouses' name (which may explain your brother wanting the title in his name), 2. they have minimum mileage and vehicle specs and age, 3. the driver has to demonstrate they have a good driving record.

Thanks, Chalupa. This is why I can't figure out my brother being able to driver for Uber.

The Yaris is an '09 and had 151,453 miles on it when I gave it to Tina. I thought that the title being in his name is important for liability reasons. And here's the part that floors me, my brother has an SR-22 to drive in Arizona. Plus he's a major pot head. Since he's started driving supposedly for Uber I have decided not to use Uber because he's either lied his ass off or the standards are not as strict or stringent.

I just hate him manipulating my Mom and sister to get what he wants. Without being there I think he's bullying his way into forcing Tina to sign the title over so he can trade the car in. I think it's aging out of Uber's years and miles. I think he can get away with Tina vs Tim because they both have the same last name so they might think he is married. Tina just really needed a good economical car with air conditioning to get to doctors appointments. This was the perfect answer for her but Tim's been slowly working it into his car. The original excuse came up the day I gave the keys to Tina when he said he'd need to drive it around because the gas might get old in the tank as Tina doesn't drive very much and he wanted me to put the truck in Tina's name which I balked at. Tina drives at least three times a week.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Just my 2 cents, but I think your brother is angling to just get possession of the car. He may or may not be telling the truth about driving\wanting to drive for Uber, but I don't eve see a Yaris on that list Fozzie posted, and Uber is pretty particular about drivers. I've never heard of them hiring drivers who had DUIs or or other history that warrants SR-22. So take that FWIW.

Yeah, pretty much Chalupa and Destiny.

We ended up working it out so both are on the title and it cost additional money for my Mom but I can't deal with this. I thought my old Yaris wouldn't be on the list. Fozzie's link was actually helpful for me but I'm not feeling full on confrontational to deal with my brother. My sister went in the hospital again and Tim is a bit of a bully who gets a lot of what he wants by being a manipulative jerk. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't helping Tina with her home dialysis so that she gets kind of out of it and would sign the title over.

He needs to let the insurance company know he's driving for Uber, too, which will likely up his rates. If he hasn't told them and gets into an accident, good luck getting them to cover it.

Not super relevant to this conversation, but just wanted to add that it would only really be relevant during the time that you're actually using the vehicle to transport people for money, and you basically have to get a taxi endorsement, which is why the rates will go up, because you've turned your car into a business and vastly increased the chances of being in an accident. Just because you also use your vehicle for Uber doesn't mean that your insurance company is going to say "ah-ha!" and deny you because they want to get out of paying for it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.