Spielberg's Ready Player One (2018)

Iceheart

I swore there was a thread about this already, but I'm probably thinking about the one in Book Club...

Anyway. Movie adaption! 2018! Oh, and they're looking for digital artists to submit avatar designs for the movie, through 6/23. It's a paying gig, although not a super high paying gig. Click here.

But really, I just want a chance to (book spoiler)

play the Monty Python and the Holy Grail game at the end of the book, because I would absolutely slay it. S L A Y I T.

I can't see that Spielberg would even touch the story if he couldn't get at least enough licenses to round out the story.

As much as I like that one pop culture reference I spoilerboxed above, I could see it working with a different property with the same level of nerd culture clout.

But it has to be the real deal.

(it just occurred to me that Spielberg could round out the movie enough just with his own stuff, though)

I just know they're never going to make a version of this movie that looks like the one in my head. They need to film this movie with cinematography, music, dialogue and virtually any other element they can incorporate that will make it feel like an 80's movie that takes place in the near future. It should feel more like Turbo Kid than Minority Report. But I know Speilberg is going to make it look generic.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very apprehensive about this. The synopsis for story sounds very Spielberg and Amblin, and should make for an awesome movie.

But I just personally did not care for the book at all. I thought it was made up of a great outline and very cool ideas, but it was far too reliant on nostalgia, stood too much on the work of others, and was full of cringe-worthy dialogue that came across like middle school fan fiction. I've got some hope that the adaptation can fix many of those problems and it can come across better on screen, but it could be a mess for me if they followed the book too closely.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

From the trailer, I don't think that Spielberg can imagine how to adapt it into a good movie either.

I think that he audiobook presentation is the best this story will ever be. Wil Wheaton does a great job, and it helps overcome some of the flaws.

• 3 weeks later...

Truth time:

I've spent almost as much time bashing Uncle Steve as I did Uncle George on this site. While I do think Speilberg sometimes falls short, his movies have always been the best-produced, best-directed films of my life.

I don't always love the directions he goes, and I think sometimes he straight up cuts corners-- but I don't actually have the hate for him that I used to have. Maybe it's cause I'm now a family man and far enough from my film school angst and anger, but I am over not liking his work. I'm actually excited for this one, if only because the spectacle of the book is not something I thought could ever be captured on film.

I cant recall if I heard of this book prior to the film, but I do know that when I learned of the concept I thought it sounded like one of my day dreams. The more I read about it the more I wondered if I had somehow developed the ability to access and manipulate the cultural subconsciousness. Late one night, as I pondered the possibilities, my wife looked at me and said, Youre not putting it there, ever. Anyway, it turns out that I dont have much interest in seeing this film.

Its been a couple years now but I dont remember anything trans or homophobic. Unless...

A male in-game character turns out to be s real life woman, and said character is embarrassed when main character finds out. I didnt take it as trans or homophobic, but Im a privileged shitlord so that might be why (no sarcasm).

I don't know that I would say embarrassed, but more afraid. That character was treated horribly because of sexuality, so it makes sense to be nervous when the people who have accepted you suddenly are going to find out the thing that has made others hate you

I haven't heard any complaints from members of the LGBT community that I know.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.