The Starkiller Base Problem

RamonAtila

It was underused. We coulda seen it devour a star, create a black hole! stars wars woulda been on a whole new level. instead what they gave us was 5 planets being blown up that was less climactic than 1 planet being blown up in ANH. And to make it worse they could have given perspective of what was being blown up. All we got was a few minor shots of people watching from a balcony that didn't give you an idea of where they were and juxtaposed with the rest of the scene, like some cutaway to the PT. that city part just didn't feel right. Will they balance it out with more cities in the new trilogy? Well that's another topic.

Your thoughts on Starkiller Base?

You know what we really needed to sell this? A couple scenes on one of the planets that got blown up. Let us see the place ... meet the people. I feel like this is where ANH lacked as well

This is one of my biggest criticisms of the prequels - not spending time on freaking Alderaan.

I really, really, really hope Rogue One gives us some Bail Organa and Alderaan.

I thought Starkiller Base was fine. It's a plot device, nothing more. And I'm probably the only person who loves Hux's speech to pieces. Such a ham!

Honestly, I kinda wish Starkiller base didn't exist. Or at least didn't have the power to destroy a planet and was just a stronghold of TFO. The main focus of the climax is the stuff happening on the planet, rathr than the attack on the base.

Just beef up the stuff ON Starkiller base. Have there be a daring escape after the saber fight is over.

I think it annoyed me because I just wasn't happy with something that immense being a mere plot device (still undecided about Hux' Hitler moment), and I think TFA would have been a better movie if it had kept its focus on the race to find Luke

(it is completely integrated in to the movie and serves a lot of functions and facilitates a lot of things though, like Kirk v Kruge redux... with lightsabers! in the dark!... TFA is like one of those puzzles where taking out a piece that you want to remove also removes a piece you don't want to remove)

I don't think many people will feel the same as me, but I hate seeing cities / civilisation in Star Wars movies (it's like having a shot of New York in a Western) and I like that balcony scene a bit less every time I see it

(JJ wanted to blow up Coruscant but he wasn't allowed to; I wish he had been allowed to blow it up because then it wouldn't be a location any more)

Even if they had just left the planet as Coruscant that would've at least had some sort of impact on the viewer, being familiar with it from the prequels. I don't understand why it was changed. But yeah, a few scenes on whatever the name of that planet was would've made it more worthwhile.

just watched ROTJ with the kid. His exact words upon seeing Coruscant in the end celebration: "Dance now, your planet's getting blown up eventually."

I didn't correct him.

Yeah that. I get what Mara is saying but if it was specified as Coruscant and everything else about that scene was the same ... everything thing she said could be rationalized. "The owner of the building aged the balcony to look retro, the water was part of a Central Park ish development project" etc.

You know what we really needed to sell this? A couple scenes on one of the planets that got blown up. Let us see the place ... meet the people. I feel like this is where ANH lacked as well

I agree on TFA, but not on ANH. My feeling is that when ANH was released in '77, we had never seen anything on this scale before. Seeing a moon-sized battle station flying around the galaxy with the ability to blow planets up was scary stuff back then. To top it off, the shots of Alderaan looked like earth. So when it's destroyed, it was easy to relate.

Fast forward to today and it's been there, done that. Seeing a couple of scenes taking place on the Hosnian planet would've added weight to the destruction. And from what I've read, there were going to be scenes of Leia sending her emissary to this planet to talk to the New Republic government about the growing threat of the FO. The woman we see in the balcony right before the planet blows up was supposed to be this character. But I think they deleted these scenes because of the PT backlash of having too much politics in the films.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.