Water on Mars

I care. But to be honest, I've long been on the "Life/water/something interesting on Mars" train since forever, so it ain't no surprise to me.

I, of course, blindly accept any and all biological explanation for these findings.

My biggest concern is how much fuel, if any, the idea of water on Mars is going to provide the Nitpick Brigade when The Martian is released in 2 days.

I'm guessing a lot of denial, a lot of complaining about why do people care about life on Mars but not abortion, and a few young Fundamentalists will become atheists. Most will just ignore it.

NASA's "follow the water" approach has finally paid off. They found briny water briefly trickles across the surface occasionally. I'm not really surprised at all. The reoccurring linear features had to be related to fluids in one way or another. And the planet is chock full of evidence of fluids flowing across the surface in the past. Hell, the whole northern hemisphere is basically an empty ocean basin.

If life of any sort were found on Mars, how would we know it was an independently developed ecosystem? If meteorites could carry lifeforms from one planet to another, how could we verify that Mars life wasn't just Earth life (or vice versa) that was just transplanted? Astrobiologists will have some work to do. Synthetic DNA has been developed in the lab; maybe other planets developed DNA that is different than our typical ATCG DNA. How alien can life get before we can't recognize it? Of course, DNA has a half-life of about 500 years. Getting it out of fossils is hard enough. Detecting it in rocks that might have, or once had, microbes in them is at least 10 times more difficult. Not to mention that the intense ultraviolet radiation that Mars is exposed to, and the perchlorates common in the regolith, organic material is unlikely to survive intact across deep time. I doubt "life" exists on Mars currently. Pretty much everything there is optimal for destroying organic material.

I really don't see what the big deal is. I'm not surprised that there was water on Mars and I wouldn't be surprised if there was once life on Mars. So what? Are we really going to dump trillions of dollars to go there to look for fossils when we have so much more to worry about here on Earth?

Guest El Chalupacabra

If meteorites could carry lifeforms from one planet to another, how could we verify that Mars life wasn't just Earth life (or vice versa) that was just transplanted?

Or what if it is a third option: both planets received from the same source?

But I agree with you, if there is any life at all anywhere else in the solar system, not just Mars (though it is the most likely at this point), then I think it is at best, microbial.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I really don't see what the big deal is. I'm not surprised that there was water on Mars and I wouldn't be surprised if there was once life on Mars. So what? Are we really going to dump trillions of dollars to go there to look for fossils when we have so much more to worry about here on Earth?

Well, I would say the advance in technology in order to get there in of itself would be a good return on an investment for manned missions to Mars, but at the same time, I can't say I want to see $trillions spent.

While I think this is very interesting, I am with Pong in that I believed there would be water found for quite some time. Since at least the Pathfinder mission, anyway.

Trillions? No. Hundreds of millions for more sophisticated probes, though? Sure.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.