Starkiller Base Rumors/Spoilers

Jacen123

I' ve read that its almost like a electronic weapon, for lack of a better word. That it can immediately disable any ship within a certain distance, including their own. Supposedly Snoke orders General Hux to use it, Hux is hesitant, reminding Snoke of how it will take out many of their own ships. Snoke chides him for being sentimental and Hux uses it, destroying every ship. Other than Poe's squadron who was flying extra low, as seen in both trailers.

We can't discount the possibility that the Resistance may think the base can destroy a whole star system but in reality it can't. I mean if you had a weapon that could destroy an entire fleet electronically (or something along those lines) you wouldn't exactly let that info out. But if you had a weapon like that you may leak info that you can destroy a whole system, because that would force the Resistance to attack it and allow you to destroy their whole fleet.

In other words, Its a trap!

The Databank entry says it is capable of destroying "whole systems," which is perhaps different than just a planet killing Death Star.

But not REALLY. You know? It's a thing that kills millions of people and bad guys have it. Narratively it's the same. I didn't like Death Star 2, I didn't like World Devastators, I didn't like the Suncrusher.

Clearly the Empire has to have some other plan than to blow up planets.

There's a big deal about it being a super weapon that can destroy systems, but instead they've got some prisoner there. Either Luke or, the completely cynical part of me says, a kid.

Starkiller Base - yes, likely named after the character from the defunct EU, because they're throwing a bone to the EU fans - is likely a perfectly descriptive name. Starkiller is the weapon, named for what it does. Starkiller Base is where the Starkiller is stored.

Let's not overthink things; it's Star Wars, not an M. Night Shyamalan film.

Jesus Christ, I know it's not named after Starkiller from The Force Unleashed! It was a joke pointing out the fact that too many things are being named after earlier concepts, to the point where it's becoming redundant. It is especially apparent when one thing (the character) is still fresh in most people's minds.

For the record, I was responding to pavonis. I grew up with the EU, hence my screen name here and spending this weekend trying to get a hold of that damn Jacen Solo figure to no avail. It's been weird reading things in the comics, news about TFA, and such that blatantly go against what I grew up with, but it's also really fun with me seeing things develop anew with a more concerted effort to keep things consistent than we had prior to the NJO and seeing a new way of approaching things. I know that you, Zerimar, (and others) don't feel the same way, though.

On the Starkiller name, itself, I can't remember the last time I thought about that character. I started playing the first game, but didn't feel like finishing it (I'm not blaming it necessarily. It came out while I was in grad school, so I had plenty of other things to do and haven't really reclaimed playing video games too much since). To me, the name Starkiller is completely associated with Luke and the history of Star Wars. Maybe this movie will change it for me, just as the game apparently changed the immediate association for you.

Mainly, though, I just thought it warranted to point it out. :shrug:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.