New Republic, First Order, Resistance

The Choc

In the official marketing release for Battlefront it says that players can experience the pivotal victory The New Republic had in the battle of Jaaku. This is pretty interesting in that the 2 factions seemingly fighting in The Force Awakens are The First Order and The Resistance, without a mention of the New Republic.

Seems like a New Republic was formed but somewhere over the course of 30 years it fell apart or possibly still exists but is essentially powerless? Perhaps "The First Order" is a specific wing of the New Republic military that has grown to immense power? The Resistance could be a very small faction fighting The First Order? Maybe the New Republic exists and there are people in that government who take one side or the other in the conflict?

I really don't know, just found it interesting (and almost certainly not an oversight) that "The New Republic" is used in the description of Battlefront.

I have yet to still get through the Awakens exhibit, but I'm wondering if this film takes place in an area of contention. The New Republic may exist elsewhere in its galaxy but we're seeing an adventure somewhere where the First Order has a foothold.

And I'll defer to my old stand by-- silly things in print not seen in the movie aren't going to be explained. I bet more than anything this is bad copywriting by somebody who doesn't know the product and it slipped through.

Pre Story Group, I'd agree with you. Now, they are really really really vigilant about what is said in public. If the Battlefront press stuff says "New Republic," I believe it.

That said, my theory is that the New Republic existed for awhile, then fell and now there's the First Order and the Resistance. OR that the First Order forms out of what was called the Imperial Remnant in the EU and the Resistance is the Rebellion in that region.

Im not expecting or wanting some long winded explanation. But think about it, the names "Empire" and "Rebels" are pretty iconic. You have one side that has tie fighters, star destroyers, storm troopers and looks exactly like the Empire. You have another side with X-Wings and pilots in orange jumpsuits that look exactly like the Rebels. Yet they changed the names of the opposing sides. You'd think there would have to be a reason for it, right? And you'd think there would have to be some sort of explanation as to why what looks like the Empire is now called The First Order, right?

First Order is the part of the galaxy where the empire stayed in power but took a new name.

New Republic is where the Alliance restored the senate.

The resistance are the Republic supported people fighting for freedom in the First Order's region of space

First Order is the part of the galaxy where the empire stayed in power but took a new name.

The resistance are the Republic supported people fighting for freedom in the First Order's region of space

I like this, I could see maybe the "First Order" and New Republic fought for a while. Then most of The New Republic got tired of the war and came to some kind of agreement with the First Order. But there were some who couldn't abide by any Imperial control so they started a Resistance inside First Order controlled territory.

And that could basically all be explained in the Opening Crawl.

[citation needed]

But really, this is my thought too. I've read some stuff about a potential Cold War type standoff being the political environment in TFA as well. If it's as simple as this (and as Driver has pointed out, it almost assuredly is because you don't want to "waste" time on something that isn't paramount to the plot), it's summed up succinctly in a few lines. Something in the crawl, a couple pieces of dialogue throughout the 2 hour movie. Plenty to piece it together without either being too overt or hitting you over the head with it.

The only point being made was, it's doubtful we'd be dropped totally in media res without some type of "Yo, here's what's up."

I kinda like the idea of Leia having a prominent role in The New Republic and maybe being secretly involved in the Resistance. Ya know like publicly decrying the Resistance for risking the peace while behind the scenes helping them out.

I was just thinking about that earlier when it first got brought up.

On one hand, it's the opening crawl. That's as much a fabric of Star Wars as jedi and death stars and x-wings.

On the other hand, this is "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" not "Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens" right?

Back to the first hand, JJ et al are fans too. They're plugged in with "us." They know there would be riots (then everyone would buy their tickets anyway, but still, there'd be riots)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.