Tron 3 is being made!

CoLA

http://www.christiantimes.com/article/tron.3.release.date.news.kosinski.to.return.as.director.of.much.awaited.sequel.filming.to.start.in.the.fall/51590.htm

http://screenrant.com/tron-3-start-date/

They're going to begin shooting this fall! Really jazzed about this, I personally liked Legacy a lot despite some issues I had with it. I found this tidbit from the second link rather intriguing:

While this is the first update in a while about an actual, legitimate start date for TRON 3, Kosinski has – over the years – continually teased details and potential release dates. He even has a title already. He claims TRON 3 is the “Empire Strikes Back” of the series, so expect a darker, less happy ending, to setup another followup one day.

A dark ending that would set up another follow up? I hope this one does really well!

I'm wondering how they are going to do this one now that Quorra is in the real world. I want to see if Sam decided to follow up with what his father was thinking, that the ISO's could change everything for humankind.

The last movie made me wonder if a program like Quorra is still made up the same way once they leave the grid? We know Users are still the same since we saw Sam bleed during his match in the games. Would a program derezz if they were killed in the real world?

And on the subject of Tron, I want to take a moment to lament the cancellation of Tron: Uprising. :(

I no joke really like Tron: Legacy. I rewatch it lots and lots; usually skipping the first twenty minutes of it. It's not a great movie but it succeeds on a lot of levels so many sci-fi films fail at --- visually and aurally interesting, clear definitions of terms and stakes and actions, depth of meaning (possibly accidental !?), perfect casting. Its success to me might be a fluke because certainly the next film the guy who did it where Tom Cruise had to choose between boning Girl-1 and boning Girl-2 only to discover the shocking truth that Girl-1 was actually Girl-1of1000ExactlyLikeHer didn't really work for me (except for the SFX, I remember them being okay in a way that sometimes the SFX for these things aren't) and it's not a movie I have watched again.

tl,dr = TronLegacy good so hopefully TronLegacieser will be good too

I liked Oblivion, too! I never thought about how well received it was but it was a neat sci-fi movie. Funny you mention Tom Cruise because I was listening to some Com Truise the other day and thought he would be a good replacement if Daft Punk don't do another score for T3. But let's hope they do! My favorite track of the album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yGboYlPwyw

I am also up for another Black Hole movie! When I was little I had a couple of hand me down toys from the old movie and it was years until I found out what they were from. The toys were Maximilian and Vincent, in case you were wondering. Vincent's head was broken because it would never stay up. :|

Guest El Chalupacabra

I also really liked Legacy (and Oblivion), not sure why people call Kosinski soulless.

He was supposed to be doing a Black Hole remake as well

Tron Legacy was a mixed bag, but I liked it over all, and liked it enough to want to see Tron 3. The stuff they got right, they REALLY got right. The stuff that wasn't so great, eh, could have been better, but not the worst. Sort of like Prometheus.

Oblivion was pretty awesome.

I like Kosinski and wished Star Trek was given to him or Brad Bird. Ideally they'd team up like Bennett/Nimoy in the 80s. Anyway... I am excited for another Tron film.

Agreed.

The only problems I had with Legacy were:

1. the second half is a little slow

2. ultimately I didn't love the reveal/plot pointedness of the nudigital life forms

3. criminal lack of TRON. I'd rather Rinzler be "fixed" by Flynn for the third act

Guest El Chalupacabra

2 didn't bother me really. But 1 & 3 are my problems as well.

But like I said, I welcome Tron 3.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, they must have spent all their cash on the CGI-Clu to afford CGI-Young Tron. So they covered him up.

LOVE Legacy. LOVE Uprising. I really liked that Uprising opened up the color palette and contained a number of throwbacks to the original film. If a lot of that were included in the subsequent film(s) and everyone from Legacy's cast and production came back, I would be simply delighted.

My two biggest gripes about Legacy were:

1. So Clu was trying to lead an army of programs to the real world...to do what? To make the world outside a perfect system, too? I understood why he took over the Grid but not why that translated to wanting to get out of it. And how would that even work? Imagine an army of programs with tanks and recognizers flooding out of the basement of Flynn's old arcade! Heck, Clu didn't even know if they could exist outside the Grid!

2. Flynn was trapped for about the equivalent of hundreds of years, we know he can create programs pretty easily since we see him make the new Clu. Why, in all that spare time, did he not create a huge army of programs to fight with? Not to mention he's a User! He doesn't have safeguards in his own system in case something went wrong? He can't reprogram or erase a rogue program? What?

And regarding the programs...was Clu the only one that Flynn wrote in that system? Or can programs come out looking different if the User chooses? Would have liked them to elaborate on that a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The film had some issues. I don't think any were so horrible they sucked, but that is subjective. It just squeaked into the green with it's domestic gross but it's take overseas more than doubled, all total around $400 million. It's hard to put a nose up at that take.

The nail for Tron is likely due to Disney attempting to push it as The Next Big "Boy" Franchise. The merchandise crossover push was obvious. The cartoon was decent, the games medicore, toys were toys, the theme park event was meh. I dunno the sales/viewing numbers but Disney quickly started messing with the cartoon's timeslot, as a gamer no one I know bought the games, the toys in my locale were clearanced fairly quickly and the theme park connection was retooled for Alice in Wonderland's Mad Hatter. All that points to a lack of connection to their desired market.

Now factor in the continued success of their superhero brand and that during Tron's push to franchise status Disney bought Star Wars. These franchises essentially sell themselves, Tron demands effort to obtain a foothold. Straw camel back.

People are saying Tomorrowland's performance has made Disney scared to produce scifi actioneers on their own outside of Marvel and Lucasfilm. Not sure I buy that, but if it's one more reason to hate Damon Lindelof I'll take it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.