Harrison Ford to reprise role in Blade Runner Sequel

Stevil

An interesting thought:

If Deckard was meant to be a replicant according to Ridley Scott. How could Ford reprise his role?? Surely his batteries would have ran out by the time he gets to this age??

The insinuation was that Rachel, and likely Decker, were Nexus 7-- no age limit.

No interest in this whatsoever. Maybe if there was like an Alien Isolation-esque re-imagining/alternate-story-in-the-same-universe, with approximate art direction and score... maybe.

I really can't see any point at all in continuing a Deckard narrative. I've always felt like the story just happens to revolve to around him. He's not particularly heroic, or anti-heroic, he's just tired and lost. He's forced onto the assignment; and he reluctantly "retires" skin jobs until his perception of consciousness and reality shifts. That's his character arc. The rooftop scene, to me, shows that he's just representative of human beings in general. He's passive until Batty's rabid obsession to live "wakes" him up.

I'm sure there are plenty of stories that can be told from the Deckard as Replicant view, but I disagree with that interpretation. Blade Runner is about the irony of a human rediscovering his humanity through the supposed artificiality he's given to destroy; not merely an ironic twist about a replicant who doesn't know he's a replicant falling in love with and killing other replicants.

Am I the only one that is not a big fan of Blade Runner. The movie was SLOW and only have a few good parts.

Nah.

I've seen this movie sooooo many times in sooooo many different versions because it's sooooo amazing and my friends all love it even after 99 viewings.

I get that it's important; I get why it's important. And from a technical and aesthetic standpoint, I've always thought Bladerunner was pretty sweet. It's just that the film as a whole feels dull and leaves me a bit cold; it's not a movie I'd ever watch "because."

To be fair, I feel the same exact way about every Ridley Scott film that doesn't have the word "alien" (one of my all-time favorite films) or "Prometheus" (frustrating and silly, but no cold dullness) somewhere in the title.

And of course I will see the sequel as soon as I am able.

Definitely one of those films that its parts are greater than the whole. Unfortunately, for me, its luster fades with time and retrospection and, similarly to others, too many viewings in too many versions. (I feel the same way with Lang's Metropolis.)

Not to say you either "get it" or don't, but I think there's something about the pacing and mood that appeals to a specific personality type. I love the fact that nothing much happens in the film. For me it's more of an atmospheric experience, which makes it almost infinitely re-watchable.

Not to say you either "get it" or don't, but I think there's something about the pacing and mood that appeals to a specific personality type. I love the fact that nothing much happens in the film. For me it's more of an atmospheric experience, which makes it almost infinitely re-watchable.

I don't think that's unfair at all.

There are many films I enjoy where "nothing much happens," but there is something that feels sterile and off-putting about most of Scott's films to me, which makes them hard to appreciate beyond their craftsmanship. So while I "get" Bladerunner intellectually, aesthetically, and culturally, I've just never been able to "get it" on an emotional level.

In the past it has been frustrating to me, 'cause as I said, I know a lot of people who just love it, and it would be cool to be able to get all worked up and dice the film up (yet again) when it comes up as a topic of conversation. But after a hundred viewings and two hundred different versions, I've come to accept that it just never gonna happen. As for the people who do like to geek out about it, I don't look down on 'em for it like it's some sort of intellectual or personality flaw or anything. I just finally gave up feigning excitement over the film, cuz it just wasn't made for me. I do still like talking about the color scheme and designs, though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.