New Order

Carrie Mathison

As I said similarly in another thread here (about Talking Heads), how is it possible that no one has started a thread here yet about New Order? Absolutely unbelievable. I am surrounded by philistines.

This thread is for the appreciation of one of the best acts of the 80s- New Order. Post your favorite New Order songs and thoughts about New Order right here. Or if you dare, post a better new wave band.

Here's one of my favorites:

Guest El Chalupacabra

I liked them better as Joy Division-- but that's the goth kid in me.

That is ALWAYS the correct answer.

I think unless you are talking about a fan of New Order who was into them back in the 1980s, a lot of their following is owed really to people who listened to Joy Division, then later heard about New Order. People these days don't just sit down and listen to 1980s New Order for the first time and say ZOMG! Best EVAR!

Also, while I have a certain nostalgia for New Order, and they definitely get their props for being pioneers of synth, industrial, & house music, to be honest there are synth and industrial bands I liked way, way better. Let's be real, New Order's rudimentary synth pop from the 80s didn't age well. You can still listen to a lot of Depeche or Erasure from the same era, and it still sounds relevant. Great even. But 1980s New Order? Not so much. In fact it is painful at times, even.

Ministry's first outing, With Sympathy, sounds a lot like New Order, but they had the good sense to go aggressive. Ministry's Land of Rape and Honey literally forcibly sodomizes anything ever produced by New Order. Also, contemporaries of New Order, Skinny Puppy and KMFDM, just straight up kicked ass out of the box. Skinny Puppy's Bites devours Power, Corruption, and Lies and then defecates Substance, and KMFDM's DerAngryGermanMusic AKA Don't blow your top unmercifully pummels Movement.

My favorite New Order song is Age of Consent.

It's just a perfect song really. The synth refrain gets me with euphoric nostalgia (not for the 80s or anything specific just the emotion of nostalgia) and sends shivers down my spine.

Prefer Joy Division for sure but some New Order tracks are beautiful.

Afterthought: actually I probably like this song Te most cause it's more like Joy Division than what New Order became famous for. Like, they still sound like a live band here in Age Of Consent. It still has a rawness in the production too that I like.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.