Blade movie as MCU property on the way?

Exodus

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/wesley-snipes-said-be-back-fourth-blade-movie

http://m.torontosun.com/2014/08/28/wesley-snipes-back-for-fourth-blade

And apparently there's a script by Marvel: http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2013/05/08/marvel-reportedly-has-scripts-for-blade-reboot-captain-marvel-film/

Blade was a badass. Good, senseless fun. And to me, there's something satisfying about seeing the original Blade continuity merge with Marvel's MCU by having Snipes pick the role back up under their guidance. Having reacquired his rights, it can happen.

The talk of The Nightstalkers only sweetens the deal, especially since the Ghost Rider rights have reverted (but they're welcome to recast that role).

This also means we won't have to remember Peter Fonda as Mephisto forever, and maybe the 3rd Avengers movie can start with Mephisto and Thanos discussing the gauntlet :D

So yes, I want this.

I think we'll need to see how Dr. Strange adds magic to the MCU. Will it be actually supernatural, or will it be along the lines of Asgardian "science" or the effects of an Infinity gem? Once we know that I think we'll have a clearer idea of how the supernatural could be added. If vampires are like the Dark Elves from Thor 2 it would make more sense than if they were full on Stoker-style undead.

Marvel Studios should do a sub-universe for horror, the same way they are doing their street/gritty/exploitation titles as Netflix series. Blade, Ghost Rider, Werewolf nu Night, frickin' Moon Knight. They could enter into the small budgeT horror space and clean up.

IF ONLY THERE WAS AN UP AND COMING HORROR WRITER THAT WAS A HUGE COMIC BOOK FAN TO UNDERTAKE SUCH A THING

Guest El Chalupacabra

I would be open to a Blade/Punisher, Blade/Daredevil, Blade/Ghostrider, Blade/Spiderman (won't likely happen due to studio turf war BS) crossovers, maybe even a Blade/Dr Strange crossover depending on if Strange does an Avengers crossover or not, but I don't know how I feel about a Blade/Avengers or Xmen or Fantastic 4 crossover. I know its all marvel, but they don't seem to be the same movie universe.

I personally think there is the Marvel Science Fiction universe and the Marvel magic-supernatural universe in the movies, and Blade is more in the latter to me (vampire science in the Blade movies notwithstanding).

An near impossible crossover that I think would probably be great would be a Blade/Underworld crossover. They're movie mythologies seem similar...or at least don't seem to contradict one another.

Guest El Chalupacabra

What do you see as supernatural in the MCU? Just curious. To me it's pure sci-fi, the outlier Asgardian stuff being the result of supertechnology that functions like magic.

I agree with you all the Avengers, F4, and Xmen related films are pure sci fi. Spiderman as well.

I suppose on a technicality, Blade is SCi fi too, since they treat vampirism more as a virus, but they also explicitly state that vampires are undead and derived from Dracula, so that makes Blade more supernatural than sci fi, to me.

Ghostrider is purely supernatural.

Punisher and Daredevil is mostly just vigilante action, that can be in either, but the Elektra film is more supernatural with her resurrection, to me.

That is why I think Blade fits more into the last three better, than the Avengers/Xmen/F4/spidey movies.

What do you see as supernatural in the MCU? Just curious. To me it's pure sci-fi, the outlier Asgardian stuff being the result of supertechnology that functions like magic.

I agree with you all the Avengers, F4, and Xmen related films are pure sci fi. Spiderman as well.

I suppose on a technicality, Blade is SCi fi too, since they treat vampirism more as a virus, but they also explicitly state that vampires are undead and derived from Dracula, so that makes Blade more supernatural than sci fi, to me.

Punisher and Daredevil is mostly just vigilante action, that can be in either, but the Elektra film is more supernatural with her resurrection, to me.

That is why I think Blade fits more into the last three better, than the Avengers/Xmen/F4/spidey movies.

Sorry-- I misunderstood. I thought you were saying the MCU already had a supernatural element. So yeah-- that's what I was saying, in the comics it co-exists. For the MCU think that the undead Dracula angle is likely going to be tossed in favor of saying vampires are like the Dark Elves from Thor 2, and Thor's basic premise that Earth mythologies are a result of visits from beings from other realms/planets.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Sorry-- I misunderstood. I thought you were saying the MCU already had a supernatural element. So yeah-- that's what I was saying, in the comics it co-exists. For the MCU think that the undead Dracula angle is likely going to be tossed in favor of saying vampires are like the Dark Elves from Thor 2, and Thor's basic premise that Earth mythologies are a result of visits from beings from other realms/planets.

If there were a Blade/Avengers crossover (or other sci fi based MCU films), the Thor style explanation would seem to make more sense, if Blade is then folded into the Avengers mythology.

But that said, I would rather that not be the case. Not EVERYTHING has to be tied to the Avengers! I would rather Blade go off more into the supernatural realm, and either remain stand alone, or if a crossover is done, stick with the supernatural-based characters like Ghostrider (which is in dire need of a reboot!), or Dr. Strange (even if he shows up in the Avengers movies later on, his magic can still be MAGIC). Daredevil and Punisher team ups with Blade are theoretical, but not something I care a whole lot about seeing.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I feel like Dr. Strange train positions him to join the Avengers by Avengers 3, and i will be super surprised if The Eye isn't an infinity stone/gem/thingy.

I'd have to say I am in 100% agreement there. If they do any kind of adaptation of the Infinity Gauntlet, they really have to have Dr. Strange there. The thing is, while I loved Infinity Gauntlet, I don't know how adaptable to film it is. If you have just the Avengers with Dr strange, and maybe the Guardians of the galaxy, then it would work. Any more heroes beyond that, like adding Xmen and F4, then it gets cluttered. Also, I'm not sure how adaptable the Celestials are to film.

The fact that we had a split second Celestial on the big screen BEFORE a Wonder Woman movie still blows my mind.

But yeah, since they can't add in the FF or X-Men it'll be the Avengers and the Guardians... keeping in mind that by then (I'm guessing this will be Avengers 3) Ant Man, Strange, probably Black Panther, and probably Captain Marvel will be part of the roster. Not to mention the Netflix street team and TV's Agents of Boring to cameo out the background.

I see Marvel Filmverse magic as being a genetic quirk combined with a technological device to focus said "quirk".

Think of Star Trek's Q or other Qlike beings. Snap of the fingers, flip of a phrase... magic. What Q is doing however is somehow accessing the fabrics of space/time then altering it locally to suit his purpose. It's not unlike creating a fire pit to cook a meal, just on a scale pudding brains can't grasp.

Explain it's different than random genetic evolutions (using three words to avoid the licensing of the terms mutants / mutations).

Explain that human, alien or "gifted" can have access to the quirk but the trait is infinitesimally rare in it's manifestation. When it does manifest it always works the same, must be trained and focused the same; it's used with hand motions, vocalizations and a focusing device.

You could even work in speaking with the dead, with ghosts... using terms like opening a portal to the living past, contacting the living soul which exists out of our temporal linear existence.

eg. Strange needs to talk with Gandhi. Gandhi is dead. Strange flips his right wrist, flares his left hand's fingers then taps his brooch and makes a "phone call" across space/time. It's quantum, sorta Butterfly Effectish. Then like Mission Impossible the message... the memory of the event for the past person... "self destructs" by fading away after contact.

I think these concepts could be successfully said/shown as just pieces of scenes and then the film moves on with life. I don't think classroom time at Hogwarts or ninja training at Al Ghul's castle needs to take up most of a film.

"So magic..." Prods Thomas Doubtful.

"What fits, fits." Answers Strange.

"Can you teach me?" Asks Thomas Doubtful,

Strange puts a stethoscope looking thing, or maybe his Eye of Mugato ;-), onto Thomas Doubtful's chest, "Let's see."

"Uhh." Says Thomas Doubtful.

"Shush. I can't see anything when you talk." Grumps Strange.

"You should stop eating cheeseburgers, but other than that you're a Normal." Affirms Strange.

Laters.

"What's the deal with tapping that brooch, you have OCD or something?!" Asks Thomas Doubtful.

"A singer uses a microphone to perform, I use this." Smirks Strange.

"Why? But huh?" Thomas Doubtful is dumbfounded.

"I suppose they could scream the lyrics, but it'd probably sound horrible. Be hell on their vocal cords too." Ponders Strange.

Bullets are fired at Strange who flicks his right wrist in front of himself, flares his left hand's fingers behind him. In front of him a disc of swirling mist opens, like a shield. Miles away, a disc of swirling mist opens against a canyon wall... the bullets fly out from inside the mist and harmlessly into the rock.

That all establishes; devices are needed, displays a spell doing something similar to opening up a wormhole both of which are sciency-magik friendly. Asgardian-like established stuff and yet when played with flair it feels... mystical.

I'd like to see an old man Blade (Snipes or his feel) team up with a young Iron Fist. Danny "Iron Fist" Rand bumps into Blade's adventure because Danny was getting his zen thing on unknowingly being taught by a "vegetarian vampire". aka he doesn't feed from people. Think of Anne Rice's Brad Pitt but like in an old silver haired, wrinkled Chow Yun Fat like body.

Blade is the "only good vampire is a dead vampire" type hardass and so he was targeting this ancient Chow Yun Fat Guy. Iron Fist defends his master because of the delicious irony and because "Dude... do you even know how hard it was to get him to teach me? I've been sitting here for like three days. Literally right here. Right here, dude. Actually, could you help me up? I think I got a... yeah... ow... that's a cramp." Then bam! Chi Sucker Punch! Round one starts.

Set the film in China and involve Mandarin's Ten Rings. Establish Outerspacy Energy Things corrupted human DNA resulting in the vampire subset. Spiritual Chi harnessing at it's base then is a pure hypnotic mind over matter physiological state, Iron Fist levels of magical chi are then born from a genetic quirk that can harness kinetic energy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.